1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

classical music - a wide introduction needed

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Joe Pineapples, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Basically my exposure to classical music has been the typical stuff used in tv adverts or films. I've caught a few other pieces on the radio, and felt complete opposite reaction from one to another. So, what i'm basicaly after is a selection of cd's - covering a very broad spectrum intially, so that i can narrow down what i like/dislike.

Can anyone recommend a set of good quality recordings, maybe specifically designed for the use mentioned above?

cheers

Dean

2. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Get 'The Yellow Guide' by Deutsche Grammophon. It's a three disc set with a collection of classic popular recordings that pretty much everyone will like (or, at the very least, you're bound to find things you like, even if it's not all your cup of tea), and will help you to get started.

Cheers,

Dunc

3. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    thanks for that - i'll give it a look.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,538
    Hi Deansimm

Have a look her for some suggestions what is easy accessible classical music. http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73036
    The Planet Suite by Holst is one of the more easy accessible pieces in my opinion as every track is a main piece rather than a main tune with a lot filling in.
    Also try your record library they will have a vast selection of compilation CD’s and full works which you can listen to before deciding on a purchase.

5. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    thanks for the link Garrett - plenty there for me to look into.

I have a version of 'the planets' (Andre Previn), on LP from years back, but nothing to play it on now..

cheers

Dean

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,538
    Hi again Dean

I just have been out and got hold of a double CD which has a lot of cracking tracks onit is called The Most Relaxing Album in the World. It has some of the tracks mentioned in that other post. Go here http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...92758/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_2/202-5340217-7547016
    Number 20 is one of my all-time favourites I asked them to play it where I got it and thay said it was like a funeral march :laugh:
    23 is a very beautiful piece.

There is also a The Most Relaxing Album in the World II.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Retune your radio to Classic FM during the day. They play mainly light classical stuff as opposed to the much longer and heavier classical music on radio 3

Classical music is much like pop in that there is as much rubbish as good stuff and a wide variety of styles.

My own favourite styles is baroque but it may not be to everyone's taste.

8. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    There is a CD set that is usually rolled out at Christmas. Is something like £40 ish and is 1 cd per composer and consists of about 12-15 discs covering a wide range of claissical music.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    It seems to be a good CD but bear in mind that "Relaxing" music is only one style and that you won't get the rousing stuff on there.

You will probably think that you don't know any of the tracks but you will know several including Garrett's favourite which was used as advert music.

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,538
    I either missed that one Ian or they never showed it in my region. The first time I heard it was in the film Rollerball. (What was the advert Ian.?) I then was reading a book called Wild Card and they described a piece of music and named it, it described it so well I knew it was the same. I when and got it and it was the right piece.
    I later went and got the Rollerball soundtrack, but I think there is a mistake played on it.:(

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,538
    I just noticed that the other Adagio (Barber) I mentioned in the other thread is the one used in Platoon is number 35.

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I'm not 100% sure but it could have been an ad for wool but I am talking of a few years ago now.

I have an old CD that I've had for years from the "Absolute Classics" series and it has some of the rousing stuff on it including :-

Berlioz - The Damnation of Faust: Hungerian March
    Verdi - Aida: Grand March
    Verdi - Il Trovatore: Anvil Chorus

Even at my grand old age I still like to find a biscuit tin to bang when playing the Anvil Chorus.

Blimey three posts in Music in one day, that beats my normal average for a year

13. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    thanks again

i'll be popping down to my record lbrary tomorrow with a list, and hope they can fill some of it :)

Dean

14. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking the same. Calm down Mr J, you don't want to peak too early.

15. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,538
    Ian if you like Berlios you may like this track http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...06892/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/202-5340217-7547016 play track 2.

I do not know if I’m in the right area Ian but by baroque, but did you ever watch The Prisoner in one episode they played some classical stuff which I think may have been baroque, the episode was called The Girl Who Was Death. A lot of the stuff was played on the oboe. The music wasn’t the sort you could whistle to but was very emotive.

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I'm afraid that I have a memory like a sieve and probably wouldn't remember music from The Prisoner even if I watched it last month, let alone a few years ago.

Baroque was the pop music of the 1600 and early 1700s with the most popular exponents being Bach and Handel as well as your favourite, Albinoni.

My particular favourite is a very odd piece by Rameau entitled Dance Du Grand Calumet de la Paix et Choeur from Les Indes Galantes which I have on the Classic FM Breakfast Baroque CD

17. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,538
    Thanks Ian I will look out for that CD.