Classic or Duet?

redmax

Hi

I have been using a Boom in the kitchen for about 3 months and love it.

I now really want to access the music on my NAS (Qnap 109 II) through my main audio set up.
The quality of the sound is important to me because I have high end equpment Tag McLaren, B&W etc.

At present I can stream to my main audio set up with NMT player but I have to switch on the projector to select the songs which is want I want to avoid. The HDX sound bad anyway!

I thought the Duet was the answer but now I have read some of the thread on here I reckon the Classic 3 could be better for me and cheaper.

Is it correct that the decoding on the classic is better than Duet?
It would appear that the only advantage of getting the Duet controller is seeing albulm artwork - is this correct?

I just want to see what to select and play the best quality. (can't afford transporter) so which would you choose?

Whats the differences between the two?

Are there advantages of one of the other I have missed?

Thanks

redmax

Thanks for the link.

Looks like the classic for me as it allows me to use my Prestigo.

confused88

Can you really use Prestigo in the same way as the duet controller?
The controller gives the duet a big advantage.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
He didn't suggest you could. He can use it to control an SB3 whereas he can't use it with a Receiver.

That's going to depend entirely on the user. While the ability to use it as a portable player (assuming that now works?) could be useful, tiny text on a tiny screen is next to useless to long-sighted old gits like me. :D

Last edited:

confused88

That's going to depend entirely on the user. While the ability to use it as a portable player (assuming that now works?) could be useful, tiny text on a tiny screen is next to useless to long-sighted old gits like me.

Not because of the player (who cares about that?) but precisely because of the screen which makes almost as good as the web interface. In fact it looks even better.
I think most users won't mind the small screen.

redmax

I wasn't suggesting I could use the prestigo in the same way as the controller.
I just meant that I could incorporate the functions on the basic remote that comes with the classic and copy them to the prestigo.

I am not bothered about seeing album covers etc.
I just want to be able to select the album, artist, radio station etc and play.

If the dispaly on the classic is the same as the Boom then I can read it fine.

confused88

I wasn't suggesting I could use the prestigo in the same way as the controller.
I just meant that I could incorporate the functions on the basic remote that comes with the classic and copy them to the prestigo.

I am not bothered about seeing album covers etc.
I just want to be able to select the album, artist, radio station etc and play.

If the dispaly on the classic is the same as the Boom then I can read it fine.

The adv. of the duet controller is not art cover but that you can see the album name, artist, radio station, etc. on its display . I don't think that is possible with the Prestigo which is an IR controller so you would have to rely on the main unit's screen for browsing. However, the screen on the Classic is actually bigger than the one on the Boom so you should be fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom