1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Classic musicals - any news anyone?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Andy Godfrey, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Andy Godfrey

Andy Godfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having recently purchased "Little Shop of Horrors" and "High Society" I was wondering - actually a friend of mine who is REALLY into musicals was wondering - if any knows if "Kiss me kate" and "Silk stockings" are coming out on Region 2. Anyone know?

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Kiss me Kate is available in a new R1 release (Image Entertainment) & R4 (but NTSC in both cases)
    Silk Stockings is a recent release (Warner Brothers) R1 only at the mo

If your friend can play R1 then get them from somewhere like DVDSOON.COM otherwise sit tight for now (Warner will prolly release but I don't think IE do R2 stuff - somebody please correct me if I'm wrong)

3. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    is that the one with frank in it?? I've got a great musical with audrey hepburn in it called funny face that is worth checking out if you like this type of thing...quite a trippy movie in some parts :)

CaM

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
  5. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm a big fan of grace kelly - I have rear window and to catch a thief myself....I'll defiently get this movie when I next see it cheap.

thanks

CaM

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Make sure you get the R1 version - r2 is the old version without the tarted up print and a mono soundtrack.

R1 version can be picked up for under a tenner inc postage at dvdsoon

7. Andy Godfrey

Andy Godfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually guys "HIGH SOCIETY" has a 5.1 sound track - o.k. the extras are limited but the prints great. Wonderful to see Frank and Bing doing "well did you evah" and Grace Kelly looks great. Yeah - its a fun musical.

8. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Hard to say whether "Kiss Me Kate" and "Silk Stockings" will see a R2 release. They came out at the same time as "High Society" in the States both as individual discs and as part of a box set of Cole Porter musicals, but so far only "HS" has appeared here.

Some of the first wave of MGM Musicals on DVD have never seen the light of day in the UK. "An American in Paris", "Anchors Aweigh", "On the Town", "Gigi", "Brigadoon" and several others have been available for years on R1, but the only ones from this initial batch that have materialised on R2 are "Singin' in the Rain" and "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" (the latter in an appalling quality, non anamorphic print).

So no guarantee then that any titles will appear in a reasonable time. Having seen the quality of some of these initial releases, Warners could do with sprucing up the prints like they did with "...Rain" and "HS". and re-releasing them. They could also do with trawling their archives more carefully - my VHS of "Kiss Me Kate" is in stereo, yet the R1 DVD is in mono. Given the status MGM's musicals enjoy, Warners have done a pretty shoddy job of releasing them.

To the person who enquired above "HS" is great fun with some fine tunes. After watching it I ordered a R1 copy of "The Philadelphia Story" ("HS" is a musical remake of this non-musical) and this is a doozy! Even better than I remembered it - a prime slice of classic Hollywood.

9. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
  10. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yes saw this a while ago, but be aware this is a recording of the recent Broadway stage production - not a re-release of the MGM movie.

11. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    oh yea - must pay more attention in future

12. Andy Godfrey

Andy Godfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did notice that "Gigi" and "An Americian in Paris" are out in the shops here! No extras worth their salt though!

13. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Thanks for that - didn't know these two had slipped out over here. The main advantage "Gigi" has over the R1 print is that it is anamorphic.