Classic Doctor Who on DVD

rojgelf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread covers all classic Doctor Who (doctors 1 to 8) on DVD.

All complete stories have been released, and now many incomplete stories have been released with reconstructions or animations to bridge the gaps, so far:
  • THE INVASION (2 missing)
  • REIGN OF TERROR (2 missing)
  • THE TENTH PLANET(1 missing)
  • ICE WARRIORS (2 missing)
  • MOONBASE (2 missing)
  • WEB OF FEAR (1 missing - recon)
  • UNDERWATER MENACE (2 missing)
  • THE POWER OF THE DALEKS (all missing) - now re-released with new animation
  • THE FACELESS ONES (4 missing)
  • FURY FROM THE DEEP (all missing)
  • THE MACRA TERROR (all missing)
  • THE UNDERWATER MENACE
  • THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN (5 missing)
  • THE FACELESS ONES (4 missing)
  • EVIL OF THE DALEKS (all missing)
  • GALAXY 4 (3 missing)
  • FURY FROM THE DEEP (all missing)

Note: audio is available for all missing episodes thanks to fans recording the audio at home during the original broadcasts. Full list of incomplete stories are:
Doctor Who missing episodes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There have also been quite a few re-releases of Who DVDs, below are the current and planned re-releases (dates listed are original dates).

Re-released as singles
Remembrance of The Daleks SE - 26 Feb 2001
The Five Doctors SE - 1 Nov 1999
Vengeance on Varos SE - 15 Oct 2001
Claws of Axos SE - 25 April 2005
Ark in space SE - 8 April 2002
The Aztecs SE - 21 Oct 2002
The Visitation - 19 Jan 2004
Inferno SE - 19 June 2006
The Green Death SE - 10 May 2004
The Enemy of the World
The Power of the Daleks
Spearhead From Space (blu-ray)

re-released in boxsets
Spearhead From Space - 29 Jan 2001 (in Mannequin Mania boxset, now also on blu-ray)
Remembrance of The Daleks SE - 26 Feb 2001 (in Davros boxset)
Pyramids of Mars - 1 Mar 2004 (in Sarah Jane Adventures S4 blu-ray boxset)

revisitations 1
The Caves Of Androzani - 18 Jun 2001
The Talons Of Weng-Chiang - 28 April 2003
Doctor Who - The Movie - 13 Aug 2001

revisitations 2
seeds of death - 17 Feb 2003
carnival of monsters - 15 July 2002
resurrection of the daleks - 18 Nov 2002

revisitations 3
The Tomb of the Cybermen - 14 Jan 2002
The Three Doctors - 24 Nov 2003
The Robots of Death - 13 Nov 2000

It's rumoured there will not be another revisitations boxset after Rev 3, but there will it seems be more single releases. A lot of the re-releases were originally released as shiny DVDs (ie not printed), here are the other shiny discs, the last shiny release was ghostlight (note list is not exhaustive I could have missed some of the less interesting ones).

shiny discs - not yet re-released
The Dalek Invasion of Earth - 16 Jun 2003
Earthshock - 18 Aug 2003
Two doctors - 8 Sep 2003 (Bred for war boxset contains the shiny disc release) - now deleted
The Curse of Fenric - 6 Oct 2003
Pyramids of Mars - 1 March 2004
Leisure hive - 5 July 2004
Ghost light - 20 Sep 2004

The first printed discs are below, all discs after this are printed.
printed discs
Lost in Time - 1 Nov 2004
Horror of Fang Rock - 17 Jan 2005
The Mind Robber - 7 Mar 2005

There have also been reissues of the 'Key to Time' boxset, and the Davros boxset contains many already released titles, including the newer Remembrance of the Daleks whilst the Resurrection of the Daleks is not a re-release it is a printed disc. Will we ever get a complete cybermen boxset?

------------------------
Some stories have had effects recreated, to correct an error or improve a poor ray gun shot or monster effect. Also for example in Day of the Daleks the dalek voices have been re-recorded. These are NOT on by default so make sure you select them if you want to see the new effects. Stories with new effects (not exhaustive list):

The Invasion of Time
The Invisible Enemy
Revelation of the Daleks
Resurrection of the Daleks (from Revisitations 2 boxset)
Dalek invasion of Earth
Day of the Daleks
Ark in space (original and SE)
Earthshock
5 Doctors
Kinda
Enlightenment (loads of new CGI)
Destiny of The Daleks
Planet of Fire SE
-----------------------------------
Other Who threads:

Bargain - Classic Dr Who bargains
Doctor Who General Thread
Dr Who Series 7

Last edited:
We're not getting Ambassadors of Death are we? 2E Said it's cost to much to get it into some sort of decent condition visually. Also Shada doesn't exist.

Happiness Patrol and Greatest show in the Galaxy are out in a boxset in November IIRC

We're not getting Ambassadors of Death are we? 2E Said it's cost to much to get it into some sort of decent condition visually. Also Shada doesn't exist.

Don't know if we are getting all of the complete ones not released yet, I hope so though, would be a shame about AoD.

Shada is in pre prep apparently, I assume it will be like the VHS release and be the parts filmed with TB doing linking narrative.

Missed the 7th doc boxset you mention (HP and GSitG), which leaves only 14 complete stories not released (not counting shada).

Last edited:
Only an NTSC broadcast tape exists for AoD and apparently it's awful picture-wise and would take alot of restoration. if it is released it'd be the last one.

I'd like a Shada part animated but as far as the VHS release goes it strikes me as more of an extra feature on another disc than a release in it's own right.

EDIT: Indeed Shada has been part animated! it'll be released in a double pack with Nightmare of Eden... whoop!

I've been collecting as many of the Tom Baker (my favourite incarnation) and Peter Davidson Doctor Whos as I can along with a few choice Jon Pertwee episodes such as Time Warriors and Planet of the Spiders, though I was too young to remember any pre-1973 Doctor Whos.

I read that Invasion of the Dinosaurs was being prepped for release about a year ago on some forum or other (sorry I can't be more specific than that) but I do hope to at least get the remaining Tom Baker serials on DVD. I do have The Sun Makers, a personal favourite from my youth even though I've only seen it once during the original broadcast, on pre-order from HMV. I want The Horns of Nimon and Underworld, which are Baker serials, but I'm not prepared to pay £30+ for the boxset.

I do get annoyed though when 2Entertain package serials I want with ones I don't such as the recent Earth Story double set. I tend to wait until the boxsets drop in price before buying them from Amazon (sadly they come from Indigostarfish so the cardboard sleeves tend to get damaged due to them using jiffy bags, the cheapskates!).

Only an NTSC broadcast tape exists for AoD and apparently it's awful picture-wise and would take alot of restoration. if it is released it'd be the last one.

A real shame, hopefully they will get to it.

I'd like a Shada part animated but as far as the VHS release goes it strikes me as more of an extra feature on another disc than a release in it's own right.

EDIT: Indeed Shada has been part animated! it'll be released in a double pack with Nightmare of Eden... whoop!

I'll be buying that, I assumed it wouldn't be part animated because the unfilmed bits don't have recorded audio (unlike the missing episodes). Maybe they got the original actors do some voice overs?

They do seem to like doing boxset releases now, so maybe we'll see 10th planet and earthshock re-release bundled together, that would be nice.

I've been collecting as many of the Tom Baker (my favourite incarnation) and Peter Davidson Doctor Whos as I can along with a few choice Jon Pertwee episodes such as Time Warriors and Planet of the Spiders, though I was too young to remember any pre-1973 Doctor Whos.

I read that Invasion of the Dinosaurs was being prepped for release about a year ago on some forum or other (sorry I can't be more specific than that) but I do hope to at least get the remaining Tom Baker serials on DVD. I do have The Sun Makers, a personal favourite from my youth even though I've only seen it once during the original broadcast, on pre-order from HMV. I want The Horns of Nimon and Underworld, which are Baker serials, but I'm not prepared to pay £30+ for the boxset.

I do get annoyed though when 2Entertain package serials I want with ones I don't such as the recent Earth Story double set. I tend to wait until the boxsets drop in price before buying them from Amazon (sadly they come from Indigostarfish so the cardboard sleeves tend to get damaged due to them using jiffy bags, the cheapskates!).

Myths is now £17.99 at amazon. I was way overpiced on release, its only a 3 disc release too!

Doctor Who - Myths And Legends Box Set: The Time Monster / Underworld / The Horns of Nimon DVD: Amazon.co.uk: Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Katy Manning, Roger Delgado: Film & TV

I quite like the boxsets because the prices do drop and if you wait you get them cheaper than single releases, but some like the Revisitations I would rather have as singles - I already have 3 from the second and third boxsets. I can't decide if they are worth upgrading ones I have, I would hope the rev 3 boxset in particular could really show an improved PQ (tomb and robots) but have any from the first 2 boxsets shown improved PQ?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
A real shame, hopefully they will get to it.

I'll be buying that, I assumed it wouldn't be part animated because the unfilmed bits don't have recorded audio (unlike the missing episodes). Maybe they got the original actors do some voice overs?

They do seem to like doing boxset releases now, so maybe we'll see 10th planet and earthshock re-release bundled together, that would be nice.

They got the original cast together again last year. Shada was re-recorded years ago as an audio play featuring the 8th doctor (2008 I think) That had the original cast too - or most of them.

On the downside a fee could not be agreed with Tom so they got an impersonator in to play the Doctor but apparently he sounds more like Tom 30 years ago than Tom does now. The guy is called Paul Jones.

I'd love to see an Earthshock re-release but I'd imagine Tenth Planet would be a 2 discer with it's length and the fact it'd be another part animated release. a two disc set with a bit of luck.

Just looked into ambassadors of death and if wikipedia is correct they are some way to getting this released:

*Although the entire story was made on colour videotape, only the first episode was retained in this format. In fact, it is the earliest episode that survives in the series' original videotaped format, either in colour or black and white. The remaining six episodes were retained only as black-and-white film recordings and poor-quality domestic colour recordings made from a US transmission in the 1970s. This recording was severely affected by a rainbow-coloured pattern of interference that at times overtook the entire picture.

*In May 2002, a restoration project for the story's VHS release combined the usable colour information from the domestic recordings with the black and white picture from the film prints, creating a high-quality colour picture. All told, over half of the serial's running time is presented in colour, including all of Episodes 1 and 5, and sections from 2, 3, 6 and 7. The remaining footage, including all of Episode 4, was deemed unsuitable for restoration, and so remained in black-and-white until the full colour restoration was completed in late 2010.

*In 2009, a commentary for the future DVD release was recorded, including Caroline John, Nicholas Courtney, Michael Ferguson, Peter Halliday, Derek Ware and Terrance Dicks. The January 2011 edition of WIRED UK magazine, published in December 2010 carried a full-page article on the recolourisation of the story. It was stated in the article that the Restoration Team expect to deliver a fully restored colour version of the story to the BBC "within weeks". In issue 430 of Doctor Who magazine the DVD announced but later set back due to restoration difficulties. This has since been delayed with no release date yet confirmed.

The Ambassadors of Death - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sounds like same work as planet of daleks was needed to get B&W episodes recoloured.

Last edited:
Just looked into ambassadors of death and if wikipedia is correct they are some way to getting this released:

*Although the entire story was made on colour videotape, only the first episode was retained in this format. In fact, it is the earliest episode that survives in the series' original videotaped format, either in colour or black and white. The remaining six episodes were retained only as black-and-white film recordings and poor-quality domestic colour recordings made from a US transmission in the 1970s. This recording was severely affected by a rainbow-coloured pattern of interference that at times overtook the entire picture.

*In May 2002, a restoration project for the story's VHS release combined the usable colour information from the domestic recordings with the black and white picture from the film prints, creating a high-quality colour picture. All told, over half of the serial's running time is presented in colour, including all of Episodes 1 and 5, and sections from 2, 3, 6 and 7. The remaining footage, including all of Episode 4, was deemed unsuitable for restoration, and so remained in black-and-white until the full colour restoration was completed in late 2010.

*In 2009, a commentary for the future DVD release was recorded, including Caroline John, Nicholas Courtney, Michael Ferguson, Peter Halliday, Derek Ware and Terrance Dicks. The January 2011 edition of WIRED UK magazine, published in December 2010 carried a full-page article on the recolourisation of the story. It was stated in the article that the Restoration Team expect to deliver a fully restored colour version of the story to the BBC "within weeks". In issue 430 of Doctor Who magazine the DVD announced but later set back due to restoration difficulties. This has since been delayed with no release date yet confirmed.

The Ambassadors of Death - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sounds like same work as palnet of daleks was needed to get B&W episodes recoloured.

:thumbsup: Good news.

The latest news as reported recently in Doctor Who Magazine, is that restoration of “The Ambassadors of Death” is still proceeding. Release of this title is reportedly delayed until 2012 due to problems with the restoration. Not sure which issue this was, but I believe it was in the last couple of months.

It has also been confirmed in the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine that the missing episodes (4 and 5) of “The Reign of Terror” are to be animated, so that this title can be released “complete” on DVD next year. There also appears to be reports or speculation on particular websites that at least two other incomplete stories are to receive the same treatment, these being the missing episode/s of “The Tenth Planet” and “The Ice Warriors”. I use the word speculation, as I have to admit to not following very closely websites reporting such things - and I have no idea of the accuracy of this information. If it’s true, this is really wonderful news - and at long last a chance to re-watch these episodes. Doctor Who Magazine mentioned that Big Finish, 2entertain, Theta Sigma and Mark Ayres of the “Restoration Team” are all involved.

It has also been confirmed in the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine that the missing episodes (4 and 5) of “The Reign of Terror” are to be animated, so that this title can be released “complete” on DVD next year. There also appears to be reports or speculation on particular websites that at least two other incomplete stories are to receive the same treatment, these being the missing episode/s of “The Tenth Planet” and “The Ice Warriors”. I use the word speculation, as I have to admit to not following very closely websites reporting such things - and I have no idea of the accuracy of this information. If it’s true, this is really wonderful news - and at long last a chance to re-watch these episodes. Doctor Who Magazine mentioned that Big Finish, 2entertain, Theta Sigma and Mark Ayres of the “Restoration Team” are all involved.

Great news on these 3, I've updated OP, surprised they didn't re-release seeds of death with ice warriors (rather than in Rev 2 boxset).

Just looking at which other stories are mostly complete, these could all be completed with animation:

The Moonbase Episodes 1, 3 missing (of 4 total)
The Crusade Episodes 2, 4 missing (of 4 total)

Personally I'd love to see moonbase. Shame the two yeti stories only have 1 episode each left.

only been colleting the last couple of months, 36 stores so far

Boxsets:
The Beginning
Beneath the Surface
Dalek Wars
The Key to Time
E-Space Trilogy
New Beginnings
Trial of a Time Lord
Revisitations vol.1

Singles:
Genesis of the Daleks
Destiny of the Daleks
The Five Doctors - 25th Anniversary Edition
The Twin Dilemma
Attack of the Cybermen
The Mark of The Rani
Timelash
Revelation of the Daleks
Remembrance of the Daleks - Special Edition

anyone else noticed every rerelease has been one that was pre 2entertain? I've been avoiding the ones that are still not done, inconsistent BBC logo placements on pre 2005 releases and some with a BBFC cert on the spine on ones 2002 or before, look a mess, then theres the older artwork too lol, Robots of Death being the cheapest looking, its just a still from the show slapped on the front lol

Last edited:
2Entertain is owned by the BBC ( its sales offshoot) so the likelihood of Dr Who dvd's being released by another company is remote.
By 2013 the whole lot will be out anyway.

With Ambassadors of Death they were trying to restore it using the NTSC colour tape as the source in the same way they recoloured Terror of the Autons and The Daemons but the problems of the NTSC tape always got in the way.
Now they can use the colour dot recovery system if the B&W telerecordings hold enough of the relevant information - this was used for Planet of the Daleks 3.
At the very worst they can get Legend (now Olive Films I believe) to recolour what is necessary from scratch .
Legend also recoloured POTD3 before the colour dot recovery system was around and the dvd version combines the best of the 2 colourisations.

Silurians is also another B&W recoloured with NTSC tapes and its also the worst looking from my collection theres really bad colour banding on reds(its also a little long winded anyway and taken me since saturday when I got it to today to get to Ep7 lol)

POTD Ep3 looks great, I didn't even know it was a recoloured job till after lol

Any news on The Daemons??

Nothing confirmed yet apart from the fact that it's intended to be released sometime in 2012.

In the latest Doctor Who Magazine, it's been confirmed that Barry Letts will be on the commentary for The Ambassadors of Death, so that would appear to suggest that all is progressing OK.

I'm sure that if the old website forum "The Restoration Team" was still operating, people would be speculating endlessly about further DVD releases with animations. The news that The Reign of Terror is to be done is really great news, and I really hope that many other such releases will follow - even stories where no parts exist in the archives.

Last edited:
The news that The Reign of Terror is to be done is really great news, and I really hope that many other such releases will follow - even stories where no parts exist in the archives.

I haven't got around to watching any of my lost in time DVDs (missing episodes) yet, but with these 3 incomplete stories in the OP now being created I'd thought I'd see if any are on there, and they aren't. Did they always plan to recreate these episodes? Does it mean we won't now get moonbase - surely next in line to be recreated?

Episodes
The Crusade 1 "The Lion"
The Crusade 3 "The Wheel of Fortune"
The Daleks' Master Plan 2 "Day of Armageddon"
The Daleks' Master Plan 5 "Counter Plot"
The Daleks' Master Plan 10 "Escape Switch"
The Celestial Toymaker 4 "The Final Test"
The Underwater Menace 3
The Moonbase 2
The Moonbase 4
The Faceless Ones 1
The Faceless Ones 3
The Evil of the Daleks 2
The Abominable Snowmen 2
The Enemy of the World 3
The Web of Fear 1
The Wheel in Space 3
The Wheel in Space 6
The Space Pirates 2

I must get around to watching some of these, especially dalek masterplan, never seen any of that, don't think I've ever read it ether - I was too young for first 3 doctors but I read most of their stories.

I haven't got around to watching any of my lost in time DVDs (missing episodes) yet, but with these 3 incomplete stories in the OP now being created I'd thought I'd see if any are on there, and they aren't. Did they always plan to recreate these episodes? Does it mean we won't now get moonbase - surely next in line to be recreated?

I'm not lucky enough to know what was planned, discussed or whatever, with regard to releasing Doctor Who on DVDs, but I doubt very much if this was discussed in the early days of these releases. I could imagine that around the time The Invasion was being planned - and the time since - that it might have been. I'm sure that all the "right things" have to be in place, such as costs involved, technical viability, and how much of a commercial success they're likely to be. I imagine that the re-colourisation of some episodes falls into much the same sort of category. However popular Doctor Who may seem to those who hold it dear, these DVD releases are probably aimed at a niche market. The fact that we've got this far, i.e. the announcement of the planned release of The Reign of Terror, is only something that should be seen as positive. If this is a success, I would like to think that even a story like The Moonbase should get the same treatment. We'll have to wait and see.

Nothing confirmed yet apart from the fact that it's intended to be released sometime in 2012.

In the latest Doctor Who Magazine, it's been confirmed that Barry Letts will be on the commentary for The Ambassadors of Death, so that would appear to suggest that all is progressing OK.

I'm sure that if the old website forum "The Restoration Team" was still operating, people would be speculating endlessly about further DVD releases with animations. The news that The Reign of Terror is to be done is really great news, and I really hope that many other such releases will follow - even stories where no parts exist in the archives.

Silurians is also another B&W recoloured with NTSC tapes and its also the worst looking from my collection theres really bad colour banding on reds(its also a little long winded anyway and taken me since saturday when I got it to today to get to Ep7 lol)

POTD Ep3 looks great, I didn't even know it was a recoloured job till after lol

Terror of the Autons was also visibly inferior , presumably because the NTSC tapes were the source.
Having watched POTD3 I was hoping that they might try and improve TOTA and while it does look much better than the previous version thanks to Vidfired tape scenes it does have that sparkle missing that you get from genuine PAL colour tapes.

Not sure why The Daemons should take so long.
They have it all in colour
and the commentary was done years ago.

Presumably they will do some work on it to make it look better than the BBC4 repeat of a few years back which seemed to have the master used for the VHS as the source.
Although that was still better than the UK Gold version which for some reason was still airing a mix of B&W and colour despite showing the all colour version many years previously

Terror of the Autons was also visibly inferior , presumably because the NTSC tapes were the source.
Having watched POTD3 I was hoping that they might try and improve TOTA and while it does look much better than the previous version thanks to Vidfired tape scenes it does have that sparkle missing that you get from genuine PAL colour tapes.

Presumably they will do some work on it to make it look better than the BBC4 repeat of a few years back which seemed to have the master used for the VHS as the source.
Although that was still better than the UK Gold version which for some reason was still airing a mix of B&W and colour despite showing the all colour version many years previously

I was very excited when bbc 4 showed it, but yes as you stated, the quality was pretty awful.

Can you remember why they showed Daemons in particular?, can't for the life of me remember why........

Almost certainly the "Restoration Team" are doing/have done what they can with The Daemons - and I'm sure it takes time. This is in addition to scheduling releases for commercial impact. I feel confident, in fact I'll stick my neck out to say that with The Deamons, just as with Terror Of The Autons, more restoration work has been done on the video side of things (possibly also the audio), but there's the dimishing law of returns - same as ever - how much time (and money) can be given to restoring/imroving an episode? I have to see Terror Of The Autons, but the VHS version, which was the last time I saw this story, was absolutely dire in both terms of audio and video. The last story I've watched/bought on DVD was The Seeds of Doom, and I always think what a wonderful job The Restoration Team manage. We shoudn't forget, that not only are these DVD releases enabling many people to re-watch these stories in better quality than they did on original transmission, but also that different players will give varying results. What also applies, is that "faults" or "shortcomings" in the production are now more noticeable than originally (or certainly over the VHS releases). A good example of this, in my opinion, is The Mind Robber, where the end of the scenery - the backdrops - in episode 1 stand out much more.

got the Ace boxset due out late 2011 - early 2012

containing 2 stories, Dragonfire is pretty much guaranteed, but the other could be either The Happiness Patrol or The Greatest Show in the Galaxy, no details anywhere, none of them have been released yet before

Almost certainly the "Restoration Team" are doing/have done what they can with The Daemons - and I'm sure it takes time. This is in addition to scheduling releases for commercial impact. I feel confident, in fact I'll stick my neck out to say that with The Deamons, just as with Terror Of The Autons, more restoration work has been done on the video side of things (possibly also the audio), but there's the dimishing law of returns - same as ever - how much time (and money) can be given to restoring/imroving an episode? I have to see Terror Of The Autons, but the VHS version, which was the last time I saw this story, was absolutely dire in both terms of audio and video. The last story I've watched/bought on DVD was The Seeds of Doom, and I always think what a wonderful job The Restoration Team manage. We shoudn't forget, that not only are these DVD releases enabling many people to re-watch these stories in better quality than they did on original transmission, but also that different players will give varying results. What also applies, is that "faults" or "shortcomings" in the production are now more noticeable than originally (or certainly over the VHS releases). A good example of this, in my opinion, is The Mind Robber, where the end of the scenery - the backdrops - in episode 1 stand out much more.

Last I watched was meglos, I thought it looked pretty good, first time I've seen it though (I think I missed it to watch buck rogers when it was broadcast - what was I thinking!). Some old ones though I've been really impressed with the PQ, like invasion (troughton) it was excellent.

Just ordered mannequin mania so will be interested to see what they have done - see DVD bargain thread for the £12odd offer.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/dvd-...-classic-dr-who-bargains-10.html#post15035334

got the Ace boxset due out late 2011 - early 2012

containing 2 stories, Dragonfire is pretty much guaranteed, but the other could be either The Happiness Patrol or The Greatest Show in the Galaxy, no details anywhere, none of them have been released yet before

Thanks, updated OP.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom