Classic Doctor Who on DVD

If you don't receive the Roobarbs e-mail within a couple of days, try sending a PM to an admin, they'll be able to sort it out for you.

I've been looking at some of the posts about the audio fault. I'm absolutely astonished at the attitudes of some of the posters. There's a lot of "I'm not bothered about it and the overall package is excellent. Just put up with it." Regardless of whether they're bothered it is a fault and shouldn't have got out like that. They certainly shouldn't be having a go at those who are bothered. From what I can gather the sound is played on the rear speakers. That will most certainly bother me. I had a Champions DVD that did that and it was terrible.

Bri
Yes I tried mine last night and its a joke if they don't issue replacements. The audio comes entirely from the rear speakers.
Changing my Denon amp to stereo moves it to the front but its not ideal.

As expected the upgrade to the video is minimal. It looks like there has been some cleaning up so issues inherent in 70's VT recordings are gone but they did some of that for the dvd's.
But it remains a good release for the bonus features, I certainly wouldn't be interested otherwise.
Got a bit of a shock seeing Tom Baker in the interview.Not really seen him for ages so watching him with a walking stick came as a surprise.

Yes I tried mine last night and its a joke if they don't issue replacements. The audio comes entirely from the rear speakers.
Changing my Denon amp to stereo moves it to the front but its not ideal.

As expected the upgrade to the video is minimal. It looks like there has been some cleaning up so issues inherent in 70's VT recordings are gone but they did some of that for the dvd's.
But it remains a good release for the bonus features, I certainly wouldn't be interested otherwise.
Got a bit of a shock seeing Tom Baker in the interview.Not really seen him for ages so watching him with a walking stick came as a surprise.

I'm not sure if I've seen him with a stick but Tom is getting on a bit now. I finally succumb to the set in Newcastle today but it was a bloody nightmare. I'll post later when I've had a chance to listen to the fault.

Bri

Someone from GallifreyBase.com just got this email:

Thank you for contacting BBC DVD Support.

We will be offering replacements for the errors on Disc 3 (The Sontaran Experiment) and Disc 5 (Revenge of the Cybermen) in the Doctor Who The Collection Season 12 Blu-ray release.

In order to obtain a replacement, please email proof of purchase to this DVD Support line, in the form of a receipt from the retailer. If you do not have a receipt from the retailer, then please email a picture of the product with your full name and postal address in view.

The estimated time frame for the replacement to be available is 4-5 weeks.
Please allow some time for the replacement disc to reach you.

Kind regards
BBC DVD Support

You need to contact [email protected]

We will be offering replacements for the errors on Disc 3 (The Sontaran Experiment) and Disc 5 (Revenge of the Cybermen) in the Doctor Who The Collection Season 12 Blu-ray release.

In order to obtain a replacement, please email proof of purchase to this DVD Support line, in the form of a receipt from the retailer. If you do not have a receipt from the retailer, then please email a picture of the product with your full name and postal address in view.

Kind regards
BBC DVD Support

Cheers. That is good news. Many thanks.

Bri

Well I've now had a chance to listen to it. On my surround system the sound is most definitely rooted to the left and right front speakers. There's nothing coming from the surround or centre speakers. It doesn't sound as bad as I expected. I attempted to play it on the screen's "normal" speakers but strangely it was silent movie time. I'm assuming it's an electronic handshake issue though I did try twice. I'll try again another time.

Bri

I attempted to play it on the screen's "normal" speakers but strangely it was silent movie time. I'm assuming it's an electronic handshake issue though I did try twice. I'll try again another time.

Bri

It's been said on Gallifrey Base that using the normal or mono setting will cause the sound to go silent on the Sontaran Experiment episode 1.

I'm screwed though because the US manufacturer has never done a replacement disc program despite screwing up several times in the past so I doubt we'll get a replacement disc in the US. I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

It's been said on Gallifrey Base that using the normal or mono setting will cause the sound to go silent on the Sontaran Experiment episode 1.

I'm screwed though because the US manufacturer has never done a replacement disc program despite screwing up several times in the past so I doubt we'll get a replacement disc in the US. I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

I hope you get the replacement discs. You certainly should get them.

Bri

Here's a few photos.

20180703_171057.jpg

The security tags took at least 10 minutes to remove. I got this one at the counter. The sets on the shelves had those wired security tags as well. Of course they'd damaged the covers.

20180703_172537.jpg

20180703_172615.jpg

Bri

I've been looking at some of the posts about the audio fault. I'm absolutely astonished at the attitudes of some of the posters. There's a lot of "I'm not bothered about it and the overall package is excellent. Just put up with it." Regardless of whether they're bothered it is a fault and shouldn't have got out like that. They certainly shouldn't be having a go at those who are bothered. From what I can gather the sound is played on the rear speakers. That will most certainly bother me. I had a Champions DVD that did that and it was terrible.

Bri

Yes, I'd feel exactly the same. Through my Arcam AVR350 set-up, I listen to two-channel sources (i.e. mono and stereo optical discs) through all speakers, rather than just using the front left and right. I've grown to like that, whether for music or video soundtrack sources. Not sure what this would mean to me, but everything I've read so far regarding the audio problem on that episodes suggests it'd sound odd.

This comes across as a major failing.

I saw a comment that the audio problem is sorted if you select mono on a Denon amp but I got zero sound on that setting.
The stereo option movies it to the front and it sounds like one of those very mediocre old Anchor Bay surround remixes they did for the Amicus films where the dialogue was not centered.

I think disc 5 is where the video glitch and spelling mistake in the credits are so replacements for both discs are welcome.

I listen to music in the 7 channel surround setting but I can't watch video without centered dialogue.

Over on Roobarb some joker reckons he watches it and can't tell its not HD.
The image may be cleaned up but it resembles HD as much as VHS did

Last edited:
If you don't receive the Roobarbs e-mail within a couple of days, try sending a PM to an admin, they'll be able to sort it out for you.

Thanks Sarah. I still haven't received the email but looking at some of the posts I'm not sure I want to contribute there. There's a lot of bickering going on. Speaking of which I'm saddened and very surprised to see that Sam Casey has been banned. I've no idea what happened there.

Bri

Yes, I'd feel exactly the same. Through my Arcam AVR350 set-up, I listen to two-channel sources (i.e. mono and stereo optical discs) through all speakers, rather than just using the front left and right. I've grown to like that, whether for music or video soundtrack sources. Not sure what this would mean to me, but everything I've read so far regarding the audio problem on that episodes suggests it'd sound odd.

This comes across as a major failing.

I prefer to listen to the originally intended sound though I'm not against listening to 5.1 remixes whether that be Who or on Blue Ray Audio. My new Oppo 203 has a tendency to play CDs on all of the speakers and it did the same with my Dr Who And The Daleks blu last night. I haven't figured out how to correct it yet.

Bri

Thanks Sarah. I still haven't received the email but looking at some of the posts I'm not sure I want to contribute there. There's a lot of bickering going on. Speaking of which I'm saddened and very surprised to see that Sam Casey has been banned. I've no idea what happened there.

Bri

Pretty easy to get banned from a site. I've been banned from Gallifrey Base for quoting a Cyberman and banned from RYM.com for arguing with an evangelical wing nut (proud of that one). That guy from Gallifrey Base has so many rules that I think he's lost track of his own rules.

Kind regards
BBC DVD Support

I've just contacted them and got this very speedy reply.

Replacement discs will take at least 4-5 weeks, as we have outlined for all customers who have emailed us.

Bri

We watched the first two episodes of Robot tonight. As a general rule the studio shots looked much better than the location shots. It's hard to judge this against what I remember from the pic quality on the DVD. I've recently upgraded my gear to 4K and most stuff looks way better. Beforehand we watched episode two of The Happiness Patrol from my German complete DVD McCoy set. I have to say this studio shot production looked better on my gear.

Bri

I read today that the US will get some replacement discs for the mistakes on the Tom Baker R1 Blu-ray set so that's good. I will post details on how to get the replacements discs when they are posted on the Gallifrey Base site.

I read today that the US will get some replacement discs for the mistakes on the Tom Baker R1 Blu-ray set so that's good. I will post details on how to get the replacements discs when they are posted on the Gallifrey Base site.

Good to hear. Hopefully they'll learn their lesson and it won't happen again.

Bri

I prefer to listen to the originally intended sound though I'm not against listening to 5.1 remixes whether that be Who or on Blue Ray Audio. My new Oppo 203 has a tendency to play CDs on all of the speakers and it did the same with my Dr Who And The Daleks blu last night. I haven't figured out how to correct it yet.

Bri

If I can assist you, Brian, I'll happily have a go. I don't wish to drag this thread off-course/topic, so I'll be brief - but we can PM, if necessary.

My present set-up means that I listen to all audio sources from my Arcam DV137 to Arcam AVR350 using all the available analogue outputs/inputs. By using this connection method, I have full choice of whether I listen to two-channel sources purely through the front left and right speakers (i.e. "standard stereo"), or through all speakers in my surround system in various modes - referred to as FX in my Arcam amplifier manual. For the Doctor Who two-channel DVDs, I have found that I like listening to them in what's called "Party" mode, which means audio is output equally over all speakers. If I listen to surround-sound/5.1 mixes, I select "MCH" on my amplifier. Whenever I listen to two-channel music discs, I use the "Music" FX mode, which means that all speakers are used, but the rears output a lot less audio than the fronts - so merely provide ambience. According to the manual, this FX mode offers the most subtle processing. If I wanted to listen to two-channel sources through just the front leeft and right speakers, I can select either FX "None", or press the "Direct" button on the receiver, which supposedly gives the best quality audio.

On an old Yamaha RXV-800 amplifier I had, I believe I could only select such FX modes when using a digital connection - which is what I did back then.

Last edited:
If I can assist you, Brian, I'll happily have a go. I don't wish to drag this thread off-course/topic, so I'll be brief - but we can PM, if necessary.

My present set-up means that I listen to all audio sources from my Arcam DV137 to Arcam AVR350 using all the available analogue outputs/inputs. By using this connection method, I have full choice of whether I listen to two-channel sources purely through the front left and right speakers (i.e. "standard stereo"), or through all speakers in my surround system in various modes - referred to as FX in my Arcam amplifier manual. For the Doctor Who two-channel DVDs, I have found that I like listening to them in what's called "Party" mode, which means audio is output equally over all speakers. If I listen to surround-sound/5.1 mixes, I select "MCH" on my amplifier. Whenever I listen to two-channel music discs, I use the "Music" FX mode, which means that all speakers are used, but the rears output a lot less audio than the fronts - so merely provide ambience. According to the manual, this FX mode offers the most subtle processing. If I wanted to listen to two-channel sources through just the front leeft and right speakers, I can select either FX "None", or press the "Direct" button on the receiver, which supposedly gives the best quality audio.

On an old Yamaha RXV-800 amplifier I had, I believe I could only select such FX modes when using a digital connection - which is what I did back then.

Cheers. I'm using a HDMI lead just as I do with my other gear. I don't have the issue with my Pioneer or Panasonic. They play CDs in normal stereo. I've checked the audio settings on the Oppo again and can't see anything that would cause it to play stereo signals in surround. I've fiddled about with the settings and used the pure audio button but I still get the same. The weird thing is that it plays the McCoy DVDs and Baker blus in stereo/dual mono but COs and the Dr Who And The Daleks blu in surround. Very strange.

Bri

Cheers. I'm using a HDMI lead just as I do with my other gear. I don't have the issue with my Pioneer or Panasonic. They play CDs in normal stereo. I've checked the audio settings on the Oppo again and can't see anything that would cause it to play stereo signals in surround. I've fiddled about with the settings and used the pure audio button but I still get the same. The weird thing is that it plays the McCoy DVDs and Baker blus in stereo/dual mono but COs and the Dr Who And The Daleks blu in surround. Very strange.

Bri

Ah. So is it that you've got an Oppo player and Oppo receiver?

I seem to remember that my Yamaha RXV-800 amplifier only offered FX using a digital connection (which on that would have been digi coax or optical), whereas on my Arcam AVR350, the various FX are only possible using analogue connections. In addition to this (just for interest), the Arcam AVR350 is unable to accept audio over HDMI - unfortunately. I'm not 100% familiar with your Oppo player, but I believe it has analogue outputs. Subject to you having a couple of spare RCA/phono leads (and your receiever having the corresponding analogue inputs), perhaps it's worth trying to connect those also in addition to any digital connections you already have.

Ah. So is it that you've got an Oppo player and Oppo receiver?

I seem to remember that my Yamaha RXV-800 amplifier only offered FX using a digital connection (which on that would have been digi coax or optical), whereas on my Arcam AVR350, the various FX are only possible using analogue connections. In addition to this (just for interest), the Arcam AVR350 is unable to accept audio over HDMI - unfortunately. I'm not 100% familiar with your Oppo player, but I believe it has analogue outputs. Subject to you having a couple of spare RCA/phono leads (and your receiever having the corresponding analogue inputs), perhaps it's worth trying to connect those also in addition to any digital connections you already have.

I brought up the issue in one of the Oppo 203 threads but I've been able to correct the problem myself. The Oppo's input on my Pioneer amp had been set to surround accidently. Everything's fine now.

:smashin:
Bri

I brought up the issue in one of the Oppo 203 threads but I've been able to correct the problem myself. The Oppo's input on my Pioneer amp had been set to surround accidently. Everything's fine now.

:smashin:
Bri

Great. It seems you've made progress.

Getting back on track, what's the general opinion regarding the latest Shada BD/DVD release, i.e. is one supposedly better than the other?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom