Classic Cinema 20 years on....

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Hadn't seen this before

What a fantastic cinema and story, thanks for sharing :)

Classic2000

@worcesternaf

Glad you enjoyed reading about my home cinema journey and thank you for your
kind words. I’ve just looked at your garage conversion which is both impressive and cost effective! As you saw my original garage was too far gone for anything except demolition!😀

As I’ve written, there have been considerable advances and improvements in av over the last 20 years and in particular since I retired 8 years ago.

We now have true 4K projectors with a choice of bulb or laser light, object based lossless Dolby atmos and dtsx audio, AV processors with advanced digital room correction and state of the art video processors like the lumagen 5348.

Depending on your budget some or all of this is readily available at whatever level you desire and can afford.

It was my love of watching films that motivated me to build my cinema room at the bottom of my garden so that whatever the time of day or night I could watch films for however long and loud I wanted to without disturbing anyone.

Whilst I was working that worked out at around 1000 hours a year and since I retired around 1500 hours a year although in the last 18 months due to Covid restrictions it’s getting on for 3000 hours. So since it was built it’s had a lot of use and given me my wife and family and friends a lot of pleasure!😀

As far as further upgrades are concerned I think the law of diminishing returns has well and truly set in for me!

Since I upgraded my Lumagen pro to the 5348 and keces linear power supply a couple of months ago the picture I now get from my Epson LS 10000 projector from my seat 12ft away from my 8ft wide 2.35.1 Damatt 1.0 screen which was pretty good before is now even sharper, more detailed and more three dimensional that I couldn’t justify the considerable extra cost of an upgrade.

On the audio front after having had to replace all my 25 year old speakers and subs a couple of years ago because the foam surrounds of the drive units had turned to mush, my most significant upgrade was last August when I bought an Arcam AV40 through Gordon Fraser and first experienced the sound of Dirac as set up by him. I always thought that my room sounded good but the increased detail, speed, and transparency coupled with the cleanest tightest and most powerful bass I’d ever heard and felt from my subs was for me truly awesome!

The sound of the AV40 was further improved by connecting it to the ultra low jitter audio only output of the lumagen 5348 when I bought one a couple of months ago.

The fact that I have a 5ft square lighting consul around a 3ft square hush box over the centre seat precludes the installation of an atmos system without major surgery to the ceiling which I’m loathe to do, though Dolby virtual and dts virtual x give me some idea of what a true atmos system would be like as I’ve never heard one.

I’m hoping to go to @mb3195 open day in August. Maybe after I’ve heard his atmos system I might tear out the centre consul on my ceiling and install a full atmos system of my own being fully aware that if I do that my wife will be tearing me a new one!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
@Triggaaar
Glad you enjoyed my cinema story.
I think we are both going to @mb3195 open day in August. I’m really looking forward to meeting with you and other forum members then.
Cheers
Yeah, your cinema is older than most that we see, and a great labour of love.

I'd certainly like to come to Mark's open day, but it's quite a trek for me. 160 miles, each way.

Classic2000

@Triggaaar
I sincerely hope that you can make it though I appreciate the long drive. It’s over 100 miles each way for us.
It would be really good to meet you if you can make it.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
As part of what now feels like a country wide tour of cinemas, I managed to visit Tony and his lovely wife today, and their Classic cinema :)

I know technology will have improved the room over the years (new processors, projector etc), but I bet it was great even when it was built, thanks to the room acoustics, and what I imagine at the time was fairly state of the art gear. I'm not sure how much bass it had available then, but it's got it all now, with the benefit of modern calibration and the skills to use it. The room doesn't have ceiling speakers, but the diffusion in the rear of the room makes it feel like it does as a sound-field is created behind and above the seats. Only when something is supposed to be directly over the listeners head can you tell it's not there, and that's when listening out for it, rather than watching a film as you normally would.

The second best part is that Tony and his wife both get to enjoy the room together so much. I can only dream that my good lady will be half as interested.

The best part however, was the bacon and egg sandwich :love:

@Triggaaar
I sincerely hope that you can make it
I didn't (well, not until a month late anyway). But then neither did you!

It would be really good to meet you if you can make it.
Done

Thank you for all the demos Tony, and please thank your lovely lady for me :)

Classic2000

@Triggaaar

Thank you for coming over. Apart from Gordon who has been a regular visitor over the years and consistently worked both his video and over the last year audio magic on the system you are the first forum member to visit.

It was a real pleasure meeting you and being able to share our respective av experiences from which I learned a lot.

I look forward to the time when you have finally finished your cinema room and hope I get an invite to see and hear it for myself.

My wife enjoyed meeting you too and is glad you enjoyed the bacon and egg sandwich. Gordon likes them too so you now know what to offer him the next time he comes to you! 😂

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Thank you for coming over
🙏

It was a real pleasure meeting you and being able to share our respective av experiences from which I learned a lot.
Likewise.

I look forward to the time when you have finally finished your cinema room and hope I get an invite to see and hear it for myself.
You betcha, and your better half too.

My wife enjoyed meeting you too and is glad you enjoyed the bacon and egg sandwich. Gordon likes them too so you now know what to offer him the next time he comes to you! 😂
Well yeah, but I won't make them so well, so maybe you'll have to come when Gordon's here, so he's not disappointed :D

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom