'Classic Brit horror on Blu-Ray (Hammer, Amicus, Tigon etc)'

gitsurfer

Established Member
Reaction score
EDIT: This thread used to be 'Hammer Horror on Blu-Ray in 2012'. It was suggested it be expanded to include Amicus, Tigon, and any other classic British horror films as they (hopefully) creep and crawl out of the crypt and onto Blu-Ray. The first 185 posts are under the old title.

This first thread will aim to list all of these films available on BD. I'm not a font of all knowledge so do please post about additions and corrections.

Hammer
Brides of Dracula, The (UK Reg.B)
Captain Clegg (UK Reg.B)
Captain Kronos vampire hunter (Australia Reg.B)
Countess Dracula (France Reg.B, US Reg.A)
Curse of Frankenstein (UK Reg.B)
Devil Rides Out, The (UK Reg.B, Australia Reg.B)
Dracula (UK Reg.B)
Dracula Prince of Darkness (UK Reg.B, Australia Reg.B, US Reg.A)
Evil of Frankenstein (UK Reg.B)
Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (UK Reg.B, Australia Reg.B)
Frankenstein Created Woman (Australia Reg.B, US Reg.A)
Hands of the Ripper (France Reg.B, US Reg.A)
Hound of the Baskervilles (Australia Reg.B)
Man Who Could Cheat Death, The (US Reg.free, packaged with Amicus film 'The Skull')
Mummy, The (UK Reg.B)
Mummy's Shroud, The (UK Reg.B, Australia Reg.B)
Paranoiac (UK Reg.free)
Phantom of the opera (UK Reg.B)
Plague of the Zombies, The (UK Reg.B, Australia Reg.B)
Quatermass and the Pit (UK Reg.B, Australia Reg.B, Germany Reg.B)
Quatermass Xperiment, The (Australia Reg.B includes Quatermass 2 and X the Unknown)
Rasputin the Mad Monk (UK Reg.B, Australia Reg.B)
Reptile, The (UK Reg.B, Australia Reg.B)
Twins of Evil (US Reg.A, Germany Reg.B, France Reg.B)
Vampire Circus (Germany Reg.B, France Reg.B, US Reg.A)
Vampire Lovers, The (Australia Reg.B, US Reg.free)
Witches, The (UK Reg.B, Australia Reg.B)

Forthcoming:
Hands of the Ripper (UK, 18th August 2014)
Twins of Evil (UK, 13th October 2014)
Countess Dracula (UK, 20th October 2014)

Rumoured:
Frankenstein Created Woman, Curse of the Werewolf, The Lost Continent, The Quatermass Xperiment (all Germany, date unknown)
The Quatermass Xperiment, Quatermass II, The Abominable Snowman, Frankenstein Created Woman, Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter, Kiss of the Vampire, Curse of the Werewolf, Vampire Circus (all UK, date unknown)

Amicus
Monster Club, The (France Reg.B, US Reg.A)
Skull, The (US Reg.free, packaged with Hammer film 'The Man Who Could Cheat Death'
Tales from the Crypt (Australia Reg.free)

Forthcoming: The Monster Club (UK, 18th August) The House That Dripped Blood (US, date unknown)

Tigon
Blood Beast Terror, The (UK Reg.B, US Reg.A)
Blood on Satan's Claw (UK Reg.free)
Witchfinder General (UK Reg.free)

Other
Asphyx, The (US Reg.free)
Burke and Hare (1971) (US Reg.A)
Carry on screaming (UK Reg.B)
Corruption (US Reg.free)
Dead of night (UK Reg.B)
House of long shadows, The (Germany Reg.B)
Horror Express (US Reg.free, actually Spanish but worth listing here)
House on Straw Hill, The (US Reg.A)
Innocents, The (UK Reg.B)
Killer's moon (US Reg.free)
Legend of hell house, The (Germany Reg.B)
Night of the Demon (France Reg.free)
Schalcken the painter (UK Reg.B)
Tales that Witness Madness (1973) (US Reg.free)
Tower of Evil (US Reg.free)
Vampyres (US Reg.free, Australia Reg.B)
Virgin witch (US Reg.free)
Wicker Man, The (UK Reg.B)

Forthcoming:

Last edited:
looked these up on Play.com (boo! hiss!) and it seems these are double plays (BD + DVD). They also list some special features:

Plague of Zombies
Featurette
Cast and Crew interviews
World of Hammer episodes
Stills Gallery

Dracula Prince of Darkness
Commentary with Christopher Lee
Featurette
Cast and Crew interviews
World of Hammer episodes
Stills Gallery

The Reptile
Featurette
Cast and Crew interviews
World of Hammer episodes
Stills Gallery

Don't know if there'll be anything new here but would be interested in the Christopher Lee commentary on DPOD.

Awesome, thanks for posting those! Now where is The Devil Rides Out? :devil:

The US are getting these lovelies. Region A locked, though, I think

309059_304356646259014_193094600718553_1164638_159995872_n.jpg

Just imported the German release of Vampire Circus as it didn't suffer from the same issues that Synapse's edition did, Looks great too, English friendly with no burnt subs etc...

Great news on these titles!

Wasn't there a BFI restoration of Dracula (Horror of Dracula) a couple of years back? Thought that would be a natural for Blu to kick the series off.

Hammer Glamour has been out a while.
Only just out this week is another beauty.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammer-Vaul...1176/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323477271&sr=8-1

The sought after Art of Hammer book featuring the poster artwork was fetching anything between £50 and double that a few months ago but Titan have thoughtfully reissued it.
Get it while you can.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Hammer-...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323477382&sr=1-1

Loved the Synapse disc of Vampire Circus.
Any dates on the other 3 ?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Great news on these titles!

Wasn't there a BFI restoration of Dracula (Horror of Dracula) a couple of years back? Thought that would be a natural for Blu to kick the series off.

There's a relevant article on the Hammer Films website regarding the discovery of a longer Japanese cut of this film earlier this year. It mentions the new BFI HD master at the beginning and it seems they are looking to release it with the extended scenes:
http://www.hammerfilms.com/news/article/newsid/314/dracula-resurrected

Just imported the German release of Vampire Circus as it didn't suffer from the same issues that Synapse's edition did, Looks great too, English friendly with no burnt subs etc...

Thanks. I didn't know about this release. Might have to get this myself in the new year.

Anyone know of a list of available Hammer BDs. Looks like quite a few might be on the way and a successfully resurrected Hammer Films would presumably increase interest in the titles from it's past life.

I'd be happy to start one here if there is interest

Paranoiac from the UK
Vampire Circus (German & US)
Wake Wood (German & US)
The Resident (UK, US)
The Reptile (UK 2012)
The Plague Of The Zombies (UK 2012)
Dracula POD (UK 2012)
Hands Of The Ripper (US 2012)
Twins Of Evil (US 2012)
Countess Dracula (US 2012)
The Vampire Lovers (Aussie)
Let Me In (UK, US)

DICKIEDUVET said:
Paranoiac from the UK
Wake Wood (German & US)
The Resident (UK, US)
The Reptile (UK 2012)
Dracula POD (UK 2012)
Twins Of Evil (US 2012)
Let Me In (UK, US)

Thanks for this. Vampire lovers is also news to me. Any good?
Should add the UK Quatermass and the pit to this list.

Paranoiac from the UK
Wake Wood (German & US)
The Resident (UK, US)
The Reptile (UK 2012)
Dracula POD (UK 2012)
Twins Of Evil (US 2012)
Let Me In (UK, US)

The best Hammer film released so far, Quatermass and the Pit is missing. ;)

I can't bring myself to count the films of the revived Hammer films. They are all rather generic modern horror films with little connection to what we know as classic Hammer. So far I haven't liked a single one of them. Sad to say that I saw a preview of The Woman in Black for which I had great hopes and it was another modern Hammer fail.

I really hope they bring out my personal favourite, Brides of Dracula on Blu one day. It's the most beautifully shot of all the classic Hammer films.

Last edited:
I think two of those films listed for release were just on the Horror channel.

Watched a bit of The Reptile (because Serverlan was in it) followed by the delete button...

HummerUK

Ingrid Pitt in HD

Yes please!! :)

Hammer themselves have indicated that Frankenstein and The Monster From Hell, complete with newly recorded commentary, is on the way in 2012, while Warner have hinted (again) that The Curse of Frankenstein, Dracula and The Mummy are also on the cards for next year.

Reports on the Australian Vampire Lovers have not been good; 1080i, low video bitrate, Dolby Digital Mono audio at only 192kb (and lots of audio problems), no chapter menu.

I have the DVD boxset of dracula, curse of Frankenstein, and the mummy but would upgrade to BD in an instant. Hoping to see those extended scenes in dracula, though.

Hammer themselves have indicated that Frankenstein and The Monster From Hell, complete with newly recorded commentary, is on the way in 2012, while Warner have hinted (again) that The Curse of Frankenstein, Dracula and The Mummy are also on the cards for next year.

Reports on the Australian Vampire Lovers have not been good; 1080i, low video bitrate, Dolby Digital Mono audio at only 192kb (and lots of audio problems), no chapter menu.

Caroline Munro also said she had recorded a commentary for a Captain Kronos Bluray that is on the way

Sorry for going a bit OT. We watched The Nanny on SD DVD last night. Great little film.

Steve W
I have the old double bill dvd which pairs The Nanny with The Blue Lamp and it's always annoyed me that its 1.66 non anamorphic.

Is yours the same or has there been an anamorphic reissue since the one I have was released

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom