1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Classic BBC/UK Drama

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Rasczak, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Being quite keen on the above and dutyfully reading various DVD news pages daily as well as lurking on these forums I was surprised to find that a number of classic BBC series have made it onto DVD without me having a clue:

The Onedin Line

The Duchess Of Duke Street

Tenko

How I missed ANY news of these I don't know but I did. Does anyone know if any other similar series are planned (e.g. Secret Army, Colditz etc)?

Or am I the sole person in the entire universe that likes this stuff :(

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,462
    Not really:smashin:

I do not know if I will be getting any of them but I was a fan of The Onedin Line, and only got into Secret Army and Colditz on there repeat showing but I found them highly enjoyable, can you remember the follow up to Secret Army?.
    I do not think the BBC are making programs of this quality these days.
    I also liked When the Boats Come In and Plodark.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Yeah it was called Kessler - only one series was made (due to a rather definitive solution in the final episode). I've only seen this once and that was on UK Gold in the 'good old days' when it used to show decent stuff.

I missed Poldark off my list by the way - that's also appearing on DVD in May.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Thats so true. Occasionally the BBC comes up with a good TV Movie but I don't recall any series of this sort of callibre these days. The BBC clearly has much higher production values now but whats the point if there is no decent drama in it?

5. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Whilst its nice to have these on DVD, unfortunately in most cases they are the compilation versions as originally issued on VHS.

A shame as episodic DVDs would be great.

I’ve got all of The Brothers, Onedin Line, Duchess, Poldark, Tenko, and When the Boat Comes in on VHS from UK Gold in the early 90s but would love to get better quality recordings.

Have DVHS off airs of Poldark from UK Gold runs in 2001.

6. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Acorn Online has a lot of top BBC drama including Smiley's People and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Unfortunately they don't ship their R1 stuff outside the US or Canada, so you have to get them to send it to your Uncly Cy in Wisconsin or wherever. Worth checking out their site - can't remember what it is but a search for Acorn Online will dig it up.

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,462
    Did they not kill one bloke in it with a poison umbrella something like some assassin did in real life? I wonder if this was shown before or after the real incident.

Also liked the music to Secret Army by Robert Farnon.(I think he also did Colditz as well).

For those who don’t remember these series they where mainly the stuff of most viewer tuning in to them every Sunday evening.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    I wish Colditz and Secret Army would re-appear on UK Gold/Drama (or even better on DVD!).

UK Drama occasionally re-runs Secret Army (although might not anymore as UK Drama doesn't have it's 7pm slot anymore :( ). However Colditz was only shown once on UK Gold and never repeated. I am desperate for a re-run of this show so I can archive it to DVD (until such time as it is released commercially).