Answered Classe CP-800 Voltage Rating 120 versus 240 V

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by epozo, Jan 22, 2018.

1. epozo

epozo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hello -

I recently purchased a Classe CP-800 Stereo Pre-Amplifier from the US where the voltage rating is 120V. I live in Australia where the voltage rating is 240V. The amplifier voltage rating is confusing. On the rear right side there is a sticker that indicates that the unit is a 120V unit. On the rear left hand side there is a print (not sticker) stating the unit is capable of 100-240V. The user manual (which i downloaded from the web) specifies that "The operating voltage of your CP-800 is 100-240 V, 50/60 Hz.". I have opened the unit and there is no voltage "switch" that I can see. The unit has a detachable power cable so I can easily plug in an Australian power cable with a standard compatible three prong.

- see the attachments for a visual of the left and right side labeling and power plug.

Does anyone know if this unit would be safe to plug into a 240 V mains?

Thankyou.

Attached Files:

2. Best Answer:
    Post #6 by epozo, Jan 23, 2018 (1 points)
  3. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,527
    Although international versions would typically support the full 96V-264V of the specification, it is quite possible that the transformer installed in the US model is in fact not designed to support non-US voltages, this being a simple way to reduce the price. In such as case I would expect a clear indication of the actual operating voltage on the rear of the device, such as your photo shows. The only real question for me is why wasn't the voltage sticker placed over the printed voltage indication?

4. epozo

epozo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks - this is very strange. A local supplier of ours says it will be compatible and ok to run on our mains, however, I'm too scared to try so for now its running with a step down transformer. I would hope that the worse case scenario is that if I plug into the 240v mains and it's not compatible that it would just blow a fuse.

5. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    If you have a local dealer, take it down there and let them plug it in if they are sure it will work. Check they have liability insurance first though ! Worth an email/phone call to Classe tech support with the serial number, they may have a log of what transformer is in it and can give you advice.

6. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    My reading of the panel is that that device has a 120 v trafo installed. The silk screen printed back panel is more generic than the specific label in silver White. Connecting it as is will provide a short lived sound and light show and an unpleasant lingering smell.
    Conclusion... If you want to use this get a 220\120 Stepdown autotransformer , available from many electrical distributiors and glue the power input lead from the classe in place.

7. epozo

epozo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Best Answer
    I agree, I don't think this unit will work on 240v - our local hi fi store thinks it will but I'm not convinced. I don't want to take the chance. I'm currently using a step down transformer but will see if I can replace the transformer in the unit itself by talking to classe support or our classe distributor. Either way, I'm good with the step down for now.