Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Class D Amplifiers..

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dazed, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My (old) Velodyne SPL1000 uses Class D Amplification (whatever the hell that actually means) as do some other subs and a couple of Tannoy Westminsters(?) featured in this months Hi-Fi news.

As far as I can see Class D amplifiers offer huge amounts of power, my Velodyne has something like 750w, and they run very cool.

My question is why aren't these type of amps used in amps/receivers and power amps instead of whatever cl;ass A/B C etc amps are currently employed?

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A painless explanation..... class D are exceptionally efficient but noise level is very high beyond about 25% of the switching frequency. Hence you want to use it for low frequencies so it is ideal for subs but not full range reproduction

ad

3. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers buns, as simple as that eh

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so im told..... though the thought of them in the tannoys is a bit disturbing...... i thought they were big high end speakers...... i didnt realise they were active in any way. is it just the bass secion active or what?

ad

5. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I remember the Tannoys were absolutely massive high enders primarily built for the far eastern market. The hombre featured had them modded with Class D amps but to make them active, however not clear whether they were all class D powered - I'll re-read and get back

Found some infor on the Westminsters - not going to win any beauty competitions

http://www.tannoy.com/product.cfm?ID=42&Page=1