Class D Amp advice

5to1

I'm looking for some advice to replace my STA-1508 multiroom Amp.

It only drives 3 zones (2 Bedroom & ensuites, plus the main bathroom) and never needed to crank it past halfway. It's always been overkill, but I got it for a very good price at the time. But it takes up a lot of space in the comms cupboard and chucks out a lot of heat in use. A few new additions in the comms cupboard mean i need the space so time for a change.

Im considering something like this:

Nobsound Mini HiFi 200W Digital Power Amplifier Bluetooth Home Stereo Audio Amp 1096879920425 | eBay

(for the bedroom/en suite zones)

(for bathroom zone)

I also spotted this without PSU, but not sure what PSU would be suitable and how much that would cost:

Amazon product
I use chrome casts as source, so dont need BT/etc, and everything is co-located in comms cuboard with wiring running to ceiling speakers in each zone. So open to alternatives. I need something small and efficient, that won't chuck out lots of heat.

Any advice and help greatly appreciated.

Cliff

Distinguished Member
I have used an amplifier based on the same chips as the one above and it is pretty good. The TPA3116 is a well tried and tested amplifier and is quite robust. It require a 24v psi and at least 4 to 5 amps. Try and avoid a psi that was designed for LED lighting as they might be light on output filtering. Also avoid a laptop psu as these are only 19.5v. This will reduce your output power.
You can download the pdf of the chip and realistically the power output into 8 ohm it is just over 30 watts a channel - with a 24 v PSU. Still good.
They run very cool, they are compact and for your application I think they would be quite suitable.

5to1

Thanks, sounds like these should do the job then. My only concern is the bundled PSU. Most don’t state specs and the ones that do say 19V, which suggests to me they’ve picked up some cheap surplus PSU’s to bundle with the AMP.

Not really looking to break the bank as the system is just for casual use. Which PSU are you using?

I suppose any decent 24v 5A PSU should do the job.

Mango Bob

Standard Member
Hi, have a look at SMSL amp reviews on amazon. I bought a tiny SA36 for my desktop audio and it's been happily driving some MA Bronze 2s. Actually upgraded to their SA300 recently to get more inputs & Bluetooth.

Cliff

Distinguished Member
Thanks, sounds like these should do the job then. My only concern is the bundled PSU. Most don’t state specs and the ones that do say 19V, which suggests to me they’ve picked up some cheap surplus PSU’s to bundle with the AMP.

Not really looking to break the bank as the system is just for casual use. Which PSU are you using?

I suppose any decent 24v 5A PSU should do the job.
Yes, I would avoid the bundled psi as it is a laptop type and only 19 volts. I actually bought a surplus professional type switchmode psi. It was 24v 7 amps. My amp was 3 channel using the two chips. You might even consider buying an extra smoothing capacitor.

5to1

Hi, have a look at SMSL amp reviews on amazon. I bought a tiny SA36 for my desktop audio and it's been happily driving some MA Bronze 2s. Actually upgraded to their SA300 recently to get more inputs & Bluetooth.
Thanks, i've been looking at the SMSL 36 & 50. They seem to come with 24V supply, which is a positive and are well reviewed. But currently more expensive, but perhaps worth the extra.

I figure I'd need 2 x SA-50 and 1 x SA36, so not a huge difference in price considering i'll be using them regularly for years (hopefully).

5to1

Yes, I would avoid the bundled psi as it is a laptop type and only 19 volts. I actually bought a surplus professional type switchmode psi. It was 24v 7 amps. My amp was 3 channel using the two chips. You might even consider buying an extra smoothing capacitor.
Annoyingly I had a few PSU's sitting in parts bin for ages and eventually threw them out during a clear out :/

Where did you get your PSU? eBay or somewhere else?

Cliff

Distinguished Member
I got it from eBay a few years ago. Probably a one off surplus stock so it was considerably cheaper that the list price.
I notice some of the bundled PSUs are 19v. It is important to use a 24v PSU. That will take advantage of the maximum power from the amplifier and good headroom with transients. If your speakers are 4 ohms than you should be looking at a 5 amp current rating.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom