Class BBC3 Dr Who Spin Off

brian s

Outstanding Member
Reaction score

BBC Three today announces Class - a new 8 x 45 minute Doctor Who Spin off from the acclaimed Young Adult author Patrick Ness (Chaos Walking trilogy and A Monster Calls). Class is a YA series set in contemporary London.

Incredible dangers are breaking through the walls of time and space, and with darkness coming, London is unprotected. With all the action, heart and adrenalin of the best YA fiction, this is Coal Hill School and Doctor Who like you've never seen it before.

Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat, who will be an executive producer on the programme, said:
"No one has documented the dark and exhilarating world of the teenager like Patrick Ness, and now we're bringing his brilliant story-telling into Doctor Who. This is growing up in modern Britain - but with monsters!"
Ness said:
"I'm astounded and thrilled to be entering the Doctor Who universe, which is as vast as time and space itself. There's so much room there for all kinds of amazing stories, and to work with Steven Moffat and Brian Minchin [producer] to find a place to tell one of my own has been an absolute joy. I can't wait for people to meet the heroes of Class, to meet the all-new villains and aliens, to remember that the horrors of the darkest corners of existence are just about on par with having to pass your A-levels."
Class is executive produced by Steven Moffat, Patrick Ness and Brian Minchin. An 8 x 45 minute series produced by BBC Cymru Wales in association with BBC Worldwide for BBC Three. It will film in and around Wales from next spring before being shown on BBC Three later in 2016.

We'll have to wait and see if it's any good. SJA was.

Depends on the characters if they are likeable or not.

So is Class suppose to be more grown up and darker than Doctor Who? which is aimed at families. Whereas Class is for teenagers

We'll have to wait and see if it's any good. SJA was.

Depends on the characters if they are likeable or not.

So is Class suppose to be more grown up and darker than Doctor Who? which is aimed at families. Whereas Class is for teenagers

SJA was under RTD who managed Who and Torchwood as well. Moffat has problems giving us our regular slice of Who each year especially when he's involved in Sherlock at the same time. Private Eye reported that Moffat has informed the BBC that next year's Who series will be shorter than normal because of his commitment to the next Sherlock series. So what is he doing getting involved in a third series?

Bri

SJA was under RTD who managed Who and Torchwood as well. Moffat has problems giving us our regular slice of Who each year especially when he's involved in Sherlock at the same time. Private Eye reported that Moffat has informed the BBC that next year's Who series will be shorter than normal because of his commitment to the next Sherlock series. So what is he doing getting involved in a third series?

Bri

He's not the showrunner or writer, only producer, therefore his commitment on this will not take too much of his time allowing him to concentrate on his other shows is what I think

He's not the showrunner or writer, only producer, therefore his commitment on this will not take too much of his time allowing him to concentrate on his other shows is what I think

I would hope he's have at least a reasonable amount of input into the show rather than just taking a big salary for "overseeing" it. I certainly hope and expect Moffat to be better than that.

Bri

Not grown up, but 'YA'
- think 'yoof' TV/BBC Three and that utter pile of rubbish Spooks: Code 9

Most family stuff is grown up, just neither too 'adult' nor too juvenile

My guess is that it will be aimed at the same audience as SJA, which is a good thing I think

^^^ the press release mentions BBC3 rather than CBBC, so I'm not so sure of that. Hopefully won't be the patronising type of yoof TV, like that awful Spooks show, or some of the early episodes of Torchwood, where shock value gratuitous swearing, and gratuitously large bluetooth earpieces replaced decent story and dialogue.

Greg Austin is best known for playing Gordon Selfridge in ITV’s Mr Selfridge, will play a character named Charlie in Class.

image.php
The BBC The BBC has announced the cast for the new Doctor Who Spin off, Class, as the series begins filming today.

The eight part series will star young new talents Greg Austin, Fady Elsayed, Sophie Hopkins and Vivian Oparah.

They will be joined by Katherine Kelly, as she takes the role of a teacher and powerful new presence at Coal Hill School.

Time has looked at your faces now. And time never forgets…
What if your planet was massacred and you were the sole survivor?
What if a legendary figure out of space and time found you a place to hide?
But what if the things that want to kill you have tracked you down?
And worst of all, what if you haven't studied for your A-Levels…?

Like all sixth formers, these four Coal Hill School students have hidden secrets and desires. They are facing their own worst fears, navigating a life of friends, parents, school work, sex, sorrow - and possibly the end of existence.

Coal Hill School has been a part of the Doctor Who Universe since the very first episode, but that has come at a price. All the time-travelling over the years has caused the very walls of space and time to become thin. There’s something pressing in on the other side, something waiting for its chance to kill everyone and everything, to bring us all into Shadow.

Fear is coming, tragedy is coming, war is coming. Prepare yourselves, Class is coming.

Class creator Patrick Ness, says:
We searched far and wide for this amazing cast, fantastic actors who understand what we’re aiming for with this show. And how lucky we are to get Katherine Kelly! She’s been stunning in Happy Valley, The Night Manager and Mr Selfridge, just wait until you see her here.

Steven Moffat, Class and Doctor Who Executive Producer, says:
There’s nothing more exciting than meeting stars that nobody’s heard of yet. We had the read through of the first few episodes last week, and there was a whole row of them. Coal Hill School has been part of Doctor Who since the very first shoot in 1963, but this new show is anything but history. Class is dark and sexy and right now. I’ve always wondered if there could be a British Buffy - it’s taken the brilliant Patrick Ness to figure out how to make it happen.

Class is described as a young adult series set in contemporary London. It is scary, funny, and as painful and sharp as youth. It will also shine a light on a whole new corner of the Whoniverse.

Damian Kavanagh, Controller, BBC Three, adds:
I can’t wait for Class to arrive on BBC Three. BBC Three will always back best young British talent.

The series starts filming today and will premiere online on BBC Three this year.

So two from Mr Selfridge now, the bumfluff son and "Lady Mae" (Katherine Kelly ... why's she covering her right eye?)

Btw Bri, Katherine's also in S2 of Happy Valley, along with various Corrie alumni

So two from Mr Selfridge now, the bumfluff son and "Lady Mae" (Katherine Kelly ... why's she covering her right eye?)

Btw Bri, Katherine's also in S2 of Happy Valley, along with various Corrie alumni

Ah yes I saw her being interviewed about her role in Happy Valley.

Bri

Looks_like_Harry_Potter_star_Anna_Shaffer_has_joined_Doctor_Who_spin_off_Class.jpg

Harry Potter/Hollyoaks star Anna Shaffer is joining Greg Austin, Fady Elsayed, Sophie Hopkins and Vivian Oparah in the Coal Hill School-set adventures, with her character apparently named Rachel.

View attachment 718745

Harry Potter/Hollyoaks star Anna Shaffer is joining Greg Austin, Fady Elsayed, Sophie Hopkins and Vivian Oparah in the Coal Hill School-set adventures, with her character apparently named Rachel.

Is she any good in those. I don't watch Hollyoaks and I can't stay awake during Harry Potter.

Bri

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom