Classé cdp102

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Matthew Pullman, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Matthew Pullman

Matthew Pullman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thinking of buying a classé cdp102 to replace my arcam cd36 that is currently running through an arcam a32/p38 into b&w 603s3 speakers any thoughts would be great thanks

2. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,372
    I had one for a month and it was nothing but trouble, developed about four different faults from a corrupted interface to needing a new power supply.

In the end I got fed up with it and sent it back. When working it was a nice sounding player and if you can get a nice example one for a good price it'd be worth a punt.

3. Matthew Pullman

Matthew Pullman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply.
    The unit I'm looking at is 4 years old with a usage of aprox 2 hours per week on average never missed a beat so I'm told price £900.
    A better sounding player than the arcam cd36?? Or just different??

4. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,372
    I've not heard a CD36 so can't really comment on how it'd compare.

I went from an Oppo 95 to the Classe. The Classe was a smoother sounding player than the Oppo but wasn't head and shoulders better.

After all the trouble with the Classe I went for a purely streaming option and has a Sonos ZP90 connected to an Audiolab M-DAC and to my ears it sounded every bit as good.

I was running the matching Classe CAP2100 and B&W 805S's so a slightly more revealing system than your present system so you maybe won't hear a huge difference.

If you have some money burning a hole in your pocket I'd highly recommend having a look at upgrading your speakers for a nice upgrade. Having owned some 603 S3's quite a few years ago they're great speakers but something like a set of Kef r500's, PMC 23's would blow them in to the weeds now. I'm a HUGE B&W fan but don't really rate the CM range too highly.

Apologies for taking you off topic.

In short I don't think I'd pay £900 on a 4 year old Classe 102.

5. Glen B

Glen B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I would advise you to avoid that purchase. Those Classe CD players, like the ones of some other manufacturers, use a Philips transport which is now discontinued, and repair parts may not be available. I know of a guy with a Classe CDP-100 in need of a new laser pickup and servo board. He cannot get his player repaired because the Classe factory's stock of parts for repairs has dried up. The player is now an expensive paperweight.