1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clark Synthesis shaking speaker - Gordon?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by z5461313, Aug 19, 2002.

1. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Hi

Well I bought one of the Clark Synthesis shaking speakers - took the week off - and installed it in my settee

The results I am very pleased with - You have to attach it to wood ( you cannot simply put it under a cushion ) as it shakes alot and it needs its own amplification

It works by shaking the settee when a big bass moment happens - such as Toy Story 2 when the ground opens up under Buz - my settee also now shakes ( as well as the sub-woofer sound )

The question I have - Gordon I don't know if you can help on this -
    If you feed it the front left and right speakers then the sound can be heard from under your settee which disrupts the sound stage.

Is there a way to muffle the sound - like sound absorbant material you can buy - or using some sort of frequency filter?

Thanks

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    I would suggest feeding it from the .1 output to a sub and feeding it through a cheapy integrated amp to allow you to balance level to match rest of system.

That's how we did it.

The best solution would be to create a filter that would just send the thing low frequencies around 35Hz and under I'd think.

Gordon

3. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Hello Gordon

Thanks for replying

I have found if you use the front left and right you can feel things like the light sabers in star wars going through your settee which is quite a nice effect

It would be nice to keep the light saber effects coming through ( but perhaps to filter out any voices that might also come through )

Would the use of a filter allow this to happen ( ie remove the voices and keep sounds like light sabers coming through ?)

Also is there such a thing as sound aborbant material?

Thanks

4. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    bkelectrics do a separate filter intended for use with subs that you could check out (probably does a lot more than you really need though).

Hope that helps.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    No a filter wouldn't help that....I suspect that light sabre noises will encompass the same frequencies as voices...

On our test installation we did as you have and mounted to a settee. I wanted to attach direct to floor and shake it. In the end this wasn't possible. I doubt you will be able to do anything to comabt the problems you now have...

Yes there are sound absorbtion materials. Different ones for different frequencies. Transducers work by shaking the bones in your body though so you're going to have problems....ie you need to stop it shaking at the frequencies you don't want to hear.

Good luck

Gordon

6. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Thanks for the replies

The other thing I am looking for is a line level converter to boost the single - as my TAC amps volume control is nearly at max

I think I will play with a filter to see what it can do

I can say it has been a fun project and the shaking does add to a film