Clarity on testing within 90 days of having Covid

rhodos

Hello, apologies if this is clear to many but I've found it difficult to find clarity on NHS/other websites which really surprises me when circa 20% of the population has had Covid and thus must apply to many,........

My whole family of 4 has had Covid within the last 90 days.
Should we still be testing (LFT) daily for work and school or is testing within 90 days still not advised for adults or children (with no symptoms) as the likelihood of reinfection is less than that of a false positive.

I actually did a post Covid anti-body test in Nov and the result returned to me even said don't bother testing again within 90 days (unless have symptoms) as it would likely be positive from the Nov infection if PCR and a false positive if LFT.

However schools seem unclear and insistent on all doing daily Covid, but there will surely be so many false positives. Even if LFTs don't pick up anti-bodies the previous advice was that a LFT false positive (circa 10%) was much more probable than a reinfection.

So anyone have a definitive pointer to some current official position on this? I assume PCR still not recommended but what about PFT?

Maeght

Distinguished Member
Hello, apologies if this is clear to many but I've found it difficult to find clarity on NHS/other websites which really surprises me when circa 20% of the population has had Covid and thus must apply to many,........

My whole family of 4 has had Covid within the last 90 days.
Should we still be testing (LFT) daily for work and school or is testing within 90 days still not advised for adults or children (with no symptoms) as the likelihood of reinfection is less than that of a false positive.

I actually did a post Covid anti-body test in Nov and the result returned to me even said don't bother testing again within 90 days (unless have symptoms) as it would likely be positive from the Nov infection if PCR and a false positive if LFT.

However schools seem unclear and insistent on all doing daily Covid, but there will surely be so many false positives. Even if LFTs don't pick up anti-bodies the previous advice was that a LFT false positive (circa 10%) was much more probable than a reinfection.

So anyone have a definitive pointer to some current official position on this? I assume PCR still not recommended but what about PFT?
I understand Chris Whitty was asked about this in today's briefing. i didn't watch it but might be worth seeing if you can find it to watch. On Sky News it says

'Amanda from Cheshire says she had COVID in November and was told not to do another lateral flow test (LFT) for 90 days.

She is confused as to why these tests are now being mandated on days six and seven of isolation to allow people to leave home.

Professor Whitty replies that LFTs are a "very good guide" to whether a person is infectious, so that's why they have been introduced to allow people who are no longer contagious to leave isolation early.

He adds: "If someone is positive on an LFT they need to stay in isolation.

"But the PCR tests can stay positive for a long time after someone is infectious." '

rhodos

I understand Chris Whitty was asked about this in today's briefing. i didn't watch it but might be worth seeing if you can find it to watch. On Sky News it says

'Amanda from Cheshire says she had COVID in November and was told not to do another lateral flow test (LFT) for 90 days.

She is confused as to why these tests are now being mandated on days six and seven of isolation to allow people to leave home.

Professor Whitty replies that LFTs are a "very good guide" to whether a person is infectious, so that's why they have been introduced to allow people who are no longer contagious to leave isolation early.

He adds: "If someone is positive on an LFT they need to stay in isolation.

"But the PCR tests can stay positive for a long time after someone is infectious." '
Thanks. I hadn't seen today's briefing. It does amaze me the lack of clarity given their must be millions in the same confusing position.

Maeght

Distinguished Member
Thanks. I hadn't seen today's briefing. It does amaze me the lack of clarity given their must be millions in the same confusing position.
Yes indeed. I think with the ever changing situation they are turning to rely on LFTs more and more so need to be clearer on what an LFT result means and when to take them.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom