1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clarity of picture

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by sprint blue, May 24, 2005.

1. sprint blue

sprint blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, have just taken delivery of Tosh 32wl56 and DVD HDD recorder RDXS34.

Both are quality pieces of equipment, however, I'm sure that the picture quality can be improved upon.

I have a Pace Sky digibox (since 1999) and has been connected to the DVD then onto the TV as per the instructions.

Have tried a straight digibox to tv connection but there is no difference in the picture quality.

The picture looks acceptable from a distance, but I would have expected the picture to look reasonable from close up, but instead looks a bit vague........sort of out of focus.

Never having owned an LCD before, this may be normal, however, I suspect that something needs to be tweeked.........but dunno what. (I have tried sharpening, but to no avail)

I have bought reasonable Monster scart plugs, so I don't think that this is where the problem lies.

Oh and finally, both the TV and DVD on screen menu's are crystal clear, it is only broadcast images that are disappointing.

Thanks for listening and any suggestions woul be appreciated. :lease:

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Not a Tosh expert, Sprint Blue, but here are a few suggestions:

!) Turn your sharpness way down, soft as you can. This'll smooth the picture, and get rid of those pesky digital artifacts.
    2) Ensure your old Digibox is outputting RGB.
    3) Do connect directly to the TV - you will get a better picture - faster and with more reliable lip synch.
    4) SD broadcasts are crummy things really, so don't be too critical of Mr.Tosh by sitting too close. 6-10 feet for a 32". Stick your nose against the screen when you feed it HiDef by all means, and tell me its not brilliant.

It's all about how well you feed them...

Jimmy

3. GFSmith

GFSmith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sprint Blue,

I have a WL48 and am trying to optimise Sky PQ too. I find reducing brightness way down helps too. (I think I have it at between 20-35%). Also turn of (set to 0) the DNR and black expansion I found that helped. It looked to me like skin tones and detail were causing problems which got better with low brighness.

I used the THX set up DVD stuff (check the disc boxes for the logo and have a play with this) to set sharpness but tonight I will try adjusting sharpness on the Sky output as Jimsan suggests.

I know its been said before but Progressive scan DVD images on the Tosh are just stunning. If HDTV offers this through the HDMI socket then the future will be great.

4. mmb

mmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had my 32WL56 delivered this morning, just in time to set it up for my wife before I left for work - and the picture with the main broadcast channels is very disappointing. An example being skin tones which have an all over 'waxy' look with no subtle tones.

With DVD via SCART the picture is better, but not as good as I expected for £1200.

I had read many good reviews of the 32WL48, and finally took the plunge while in COMET this Tuesday and bought the 32WL56 thinking it was the 32WL48.

As they say a fool and his money are soon parted.

Though my wife is happy so I suppose that is something...

5. sprint blue

sprint blue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you are close to the screen, then the picture does look 'waxy', however, if you step back a couple of feet, then it looks really good.

I did have reservations to begin with, but am delighted with mine now. I think that the quality of the picture depends on a lot of factors.

Live broadcasts from, say BBC N24, looks fantastic with lovely clear crisp images, however, if you are watching a programme from the 70s or 80s on, UK Gold for example, then the picture is not so sparkling.

The difference is obviously down to the quality of the older broadcasts and it is not realistic to judge the performance of your set on these sorts of programmes.

As far as the wl56 being inferior to the wl48, is it not the case that it is more or less the same telly. :confused: