Clarification of the Reservation Situation

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I lot of seam to have reserved a iPhone 4 for collection at a apple store.

Me included, so i've just come off the apple chat help, to clarify some things.

1. Does it matter what option you chose when reserving?
(there was an option to choose Sim free, contract or PAYG)

NO - the iPhone comes SIM FREE, so it does not matter what option you chose, you can change your mind.

2. Can i sign up to a 18/24 m contract in store on Thurs 24th?

NO - The only handsets apple will be selling is a SIM FREE handset.

3. I have a email saying i have a iPhone 4 reserved, does that mean i will have 'my' handset waiting for me?

NO - The people on the reserved list have priority over people NOT on the reserved list, but the reserved list has no priority, its 1st come, 1st served.

Once all stock has gone to the reservation people, its all gone! So even if you reserved one if your not there early you may not get one.

They have no idea how much stock will be available, if you have not got a reservation email, i imagine it will be very difficult to get a iP4. I guess only if the stock in that shop is more that the reserved list in that shop. But the reservation is only for 1 day, so i imagine Friday will be as busy with none reservation people.

Hope this clears up some questions for the 24th. Dont shoot the messenger!

Last edited:
Hi

I'd spoke with my local Apple store in Victoria Square, Belfast. I was advised that they have access to all the networks systems and would be able to set me up on a monthly contract when I'd come in next Thursday to pick up my reserved iPhone. See it seems there is a conflict in information regarding this.

Baz

3. I have a email saying i have a iPhone 4 reserved, does that mean i will have 'my' handset waiting for me?

NO - The people on the reserved list have priority over people NOT on the reserved list, but the reserved list has no priority, its 1st come, 1st served.

Once all stock has gone to the reservation people, its all gone! So even if you reserved one if your not there early you may not get one.

They have no idea how much stock will be available, if you have not got a reservation email, i imagine it will be very difficult to get a iP4. I guess only if the stock in that shop is more that the reserved list in that shop. But the reservation is only for 1 day, so i imagine Friday will be as busy with none reservation people.

Hope this clears up some questions for the 24th. Dont shoot the messenger!

I spoke with the team at the Arndale in Manchester. If you've reserved one online for collection at a specific store you have until close of business on the 24th to pick it up.

Each store had a certain allocation, once that allocation had been reserved customers were unable to reserve a phone for collection that day.

Otherwise there would be no point to the reservation system.

According to team at Manchester each store is well aware of how many items are coming into stock and onto their reservation system - hence the reservation system being "live" - i.e. once the allocation had been reserved the option to reserve was removed from that store - you could not then reserve the item. Each store was different online.

If you've got a reservation email I'm led to believe by the team at Manchester that you will indeed get one - but if will be placed back into stock if you have not collected by close of business on the 24th.

Edit: - Exactly what sneeks said last night....

My local Apple Store said that all reservations will have a handset on launch day. They had a set allocation of 16gb and 32gb and once these were all reserved the option was removed from the order system.

Last edited:
So what's the point of Apple giving the option of a contract phone, but not selling it at that reduced price that the networks are subsidising it? Who would buy on that option.

so still non the wiser on monthly contracts and upgrades instore,,,,,,,,,,,,, great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoke to one of the guys at manchester Arndale, and confirmed my reservation will be there for me ALL DAY till close of business (then i lose it if not collected), so no rush to get down for opening at 8AM. He also confirmed that will be two lines (reserved and non-reserved)

He could not, however, confirm if there would be any white stock (understandably so), but did say that if by some miracle some white handsets did turn up, i could change my reservation over to one of those :D

Hi

I'd spoke with my local Apple store in Victoria Square, Belfast. I was advised that they have access to all the networks systems and would be able to set me up on a monthly contract when I'd come in next Thursday to pick up my reserved iPhone. See it seems there is a conflict in information regarding this.

Baz

I've just got off the phone with the store where I reserved, and they said the same thing. You pick the network, sign up to 18/24 months and they charge that handset price as per the networks tariffs.

It would have to be that option, otherwise why offer that service. They would only be offering PAYG or sim free at full price. Whether the phone is locked or not is another matter.

Gazza

I don't care what anyone says am getting there at 7am to pick mine up lol :D

I've just got off the phone with the store where I reserved, and they said the same thing. You pick the network, sign up to 18/24 months and they charge that handset price as per the networks tariffs.

It would have to be that option, otherwise why offer that service. They would only be offering PAYG or sim free at full price. Whether the phone is locked or not is another matter.

Gazza

Hi Gazza

I'm glad u got the same info from another store. Thats put my mind at ease and hopefully everyone else's. I don't think I've ever been so stressed out lol. I'm going to my local Apple store on Saturday for some iMac educating lol. I will ask the same question again, just to re confirm. To be sure, to be sure, to be sure and all that pmsl.

Baz

Well it seams nothing is clarified then, seams we'll only find out on the day

I phoned my store today as i too think the info is very wishy washy. The Aberdeen store (Union Square) will be holding all reservations until the end of the day. They WILL be offering these handsets for upgrades of existing contracts etc. They even started asking me which tariff i'll likely choose. They also said they will be carrying all micro sims for said contracts.

The online Apple peeps haven't a clue what is happening in the retail stores. I asked some simple questions on preorder day and the delightfull lady got all wound up and cut me off. :D
Thanks "Deborah L"

I phoned my store today as i too think the info is very wishy washy. The Aberdeen store (Union Square) will be holding all reservations until the end of the day. They WILL be offering these handsets for upgrades of existing contracts etc. They even started asking me which tariff i'll likely choose. They also said they will be carrying all micro sims for said contracts.

The online Apple peeps haven't a clue what is happening in the retail stores. I asked some simple questions on preorder day and the delightfull lady got all wound up and cut me off. :D
Thanks "Deborah L"

Hi

Three different ppl speaking to three different stores and getting the same info. I'd say its pretty iron clan that we can be setup on contract in store.

Baz

Hi

Three different ppl speaking to three different stores and getting the same info. I'd say its pretty iron clan that we can be setup on contract in store.

Baz

I've said this before but when I got my 3G I got it from the Apple store as an O2 contract upgrade and got the handset for free. I don't see why they would stop being able to do this now.

I wish apple would give their employees clarification... they all say different things!!

According to the Regent Street apple they will DEFINITELY hold one til the end of the day if you have reserved. Saying that, ill be there at 7:30 anyway!

Bluewater Kent, say if you have reserved, that iPhone is YOURS! till the end of the day

I'll be giving Kingston a call the night before to clarify as I probably wont be able to get down until after I finish work at 6. I'll be taking a name and I will be venting my fury at that person if my reservation isnt there when I arrive!!! :D

Just shows what a load of **** the Apple web team spurt...... I have spoken to the manager at Bluewater who said that all reserved phones will be saved for that person only, if they are not taken that day, they will be sold the following day.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with the web team, a shambles :thumbsdow

I really can't believe that Apple have not informed their staff what is going to happen. I have reserved 2 32gb ones from Apple for collection. I am hoping to do the early upgrade offer with o2 but the Apple store near me said they are not doing contracts (I phoned them on the 15th).

My idea was to see how long the queue at o2 was first and wait there if it wasn't too bad, but if I knew Apple were deffo doing the early contract thing I would go there.

It's just ridiculous that people will have no idea what to do for the best on launch day because of all the cr*p bring told them from the different stores.

I know it sounds silly but since I have reserved I have felt sick with worry not knowing if I will get a contract one on Launch day or not and it's only a phone! :blush: But I loved my 3GS and I know this one is going to be wicked if I can get my hands on one.

I really hope my local apple store can provide more info the day before to tell me if I can upgrade or not. If they can't tell me on Wednesday then its just a complete farce!

hybridtheory said:
I'm going to my local Apple store on Saturday, I will ask the same question again, just to re confirm.

Let us know what they say, mucker. Mine's reserved at Victoria Square and I could do without using more holidays (2 days off next week for concerts) plus the prospect of heading up the A8 pre-7 a.m. doesn't appeal.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom