clapforourcarers - Saying thank you to NHS workers

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
A staff member in my hospital ended up in our ICU last week due to Covid-19. Underlying conditions and over 60. I'll admit that when I heard he was in ICU I thought he was done for.

5 days later he got a (socially distanced) guard of honour when he was discharged to the ward. It was heart warming to see.

ostewart

Taken out of context:

Even if it's taken out of context, it doesn't excuse the fact that they have not had a meaningful pay rise since the Tory's have been in power.

"When we compare the pay deal to expected inflation, around half of staff—those expecting a 6.5% pay increase—will see their earnings stay roughly the same in real terms over the next three years."

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
If there's going to a recession who's going to fund this pay rise. Private enterprising individuals/groups fund the public sector.
I'll say this, ex wife is nearing five figures per month atm. She's NHS.

And you do also realise that most hospitals are not busy, is everyone working on the covid 19 wards or icu.
I really do wish some posters and people in general would gain some perspective, context and use correct information rather than taking a minute or a feeling and expanding that to present an argument for a negative political stance.

ostewart

If there's going to a recession who's going to fund this pay rise. Private enterprising individuals/groups fund the public sector.
I'll say this, ex wife is nearing five figures per month atm. She's NHS.

And you do also realise that most hospitals are not busy, is everyone working on the covid 19 wards or icu.
I really do wish some posters and people in general would gain some perspective, context and use correct information rather than taking a minute or a feeling and expanding that to present an argument for a negative political stance.
They should have had a pay rise years ago. If the government actually used public funds properly it would be possible.

Trident and HS2 come to mind as massive money pits that have gone way over budget.

My cousin is a student nurse, a close friend is too. Another close friend is a pediatric nurse and my aunty works in the NHS (can't remember her exact role but she's fairly high up).

My other half works for a private care home, on just over minimum wage. I earn more in customer service for an online retailer, and I work half as hard.

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
They should have had a pay rise years ago. If the government actually used public funds properly it would be possible.

Trident and HS2 come to mind as massive money pits that have gone way over budget.

My cousin is a student nurse, a close friend is too. Another close friend is a pediatric nurse and my aunty works in the NHS (can't remember her exact role but she's fairly high up).

My other half works for a private care home, on just over minimum wage. I earn more in customer service for an online retailer, and I work half as hard.
I have no disagreement with you on Trident or HS2, both are ridiculous ideas, however both have been cross party examined and pushed through.
Universal credit was a tragic mistake, however this was enacted after what was perceived to be people abusing the system under a Labour government. Plus we've broken the family unit via woke bollox so someone has to pay for others children and provide social care for vulnerable citizens.

As for how "Hard" someone works, how is this compared with other industries. Most directors are at work everyday, even into the night. Wealth comes at a price.
I know from experience that my ex wife undertook long hrs, however she was, even as a band 5 earning with overtime circa £40,000 a yr. Plus her expected pension is a handsome sum. Plus some staff do feel entitled to take the fully paid sick leave every yr, enhancing already good holiday entitlement.
I know from first hand experience for some NHS staff the job is a vocation or career, life is devoted to the role. For me that wasn't compatible with how i expected a family to be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom