Clamp/Arm to hold/attach iPad (3) in case to 27"iMac

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Gurus...

I'm looking for an arm type thingy that I can attach to my iMac, that will allow me to drop my iPad in.

It doesn't need any fancy features, just the ability to hold the iPad.

The only thing here is the fact that the iPad is in an Otterbox Defender case, which obviously makes it quite bulky and most holder type things that I've seen seem to be designed for a naked iPad.

I looked at Twelve South's HoverBar, which is now available for the iPad 3 and that would be the perfect solution, but for the fact that it also seems to have been designed with a naked iPad in mind!

I guess what I need is some kind of generic, adjustable tablet holder/arm that I can attach to the iMac, but I can't seem to find anything.

All suggestions welcome!

Cheers.

MC77

I think you'll be lucky to find one that is designed to work specifically with a case. It seems as though every accessory for iPhones or iPads are made without cases in mind. However, I think most can be modified to work, we have a dual iPhone and iPad charger at home which I made slightly wider with a dremmel to take the iPad and phone with cases on. Not ideal but I'm not sure what other solution there would be.

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
The whole point of such chargers or docks is to hold them securely in place whilst in use and not flex the dock connector or port and cause damage. Annoying that your iThing doesn't fit with a case on, but how can they design one that fits all cases?

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
I don't need it to dock the iPad, just to literally "hold" it (like the HoverBar).

So an arm that clamps to the desk, with an adjustable grip for a tablet.

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
Fair point, but my argument still holds water, more so even. Imagine a clamp that supposedly holds your iPad secure with a case on, but it doesn't quite fit as its a one size fits all. Results dont bear thinking about...

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Fair point, but my argument still holds water, more so even. Imagine a clamp that supposedly holds your iPad secure with a case on, but it doesn't quite fit as its a one size fits all. Results dont bear thinking about...

But if it's an adjustable one (with thumb screws to hold in place once you've "gripped" your tablet), then there shouldn't be an issue.

Plus, even if it fell-A) it's only a few inches from the top of my desk, so it won't have far to fall and B) it's in an Otterbox Defender. :smashin:

The Hoverbar would be perfect, if it was adjustable, to take into account a non naked iPad.

This is all I want to achieve:

HoverBar_hero_headerlarge_6.jpg

I found a couple on Amazon...

The New iPad 1 2 3 Tablet Clamp Desktop Handsfree Stand: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Sanlise Universal Desktop 360º Adjustable Mount Holder: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

The New iPad 1 2 3 Tablet Clamp Desktop Handsfree Stand: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

RobM

Distinguished Member
Instead of looking for an iPad holder, look for a book or document holder. Something designed to hold an A4 text / reference book won't be far off what you need. Chances are it'll be cheap too, since the word 'iPad' won't appear anywhere on it... might not look that pretty though.

This site has an iPad holder as well as book holders: Serious iPad / Ebook Holder - Desk on Serious Readers

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
RobM said:
Instead of looking for an iPad holder, look for a book or document holder. Something designed to hold an A4 text / reference book won't be far off what you need. Chances are it'll be cheap too, since the word 'iPad' won't appear anywhere on it... might not look that pretty though.

This site has an iPad holder as well as book holders: Serious iPad / Ebook Holder - Desk on Serious Readers

Thanks Rob, I am after something like that and as I mentioned, it just needs to be a holder that will do the same job as the HoverBar.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom