Claim: Masks harm the immune system

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
It's worrying that websites carrying misinformation get so many views. I'm trying to create a balance.
I'm posting three threads here with relevant titles in an effort to get them in to Google so that people find them, come here and read the facts. Each thread contains information about one of three claims against the use of face masks (during a pandemic) covered in a BBC news article.

The BBC doesn't necessarily deserve our trust without research, but advice from experts (in this case they quote the WHO and Professor Keith Neal of Nottingham University), I think we should give weight to.

Claim: Masks harm the immune system
Verdict: No evidence to support this claim

A graphic shared thousands of times on social media includes several misleading claims, including one about the immune system.
It's called "What happens when you wear a face mask" and has been marked as containing false information on Instagram.

Among the claims, it says that masks could "suppress" the body's immune system, leaving it open to infection.
But it's not explained exactly how or why masks are said to do this.

"Masks may stop germs getting into your mouth or nose so your immune system doesn't have to kick in, but this doesn't mean it is being suppressed," says Professor Keith Neal.

It's worth pointing out that there are some situations in which face masks might not be advised:
  • children under two whose lungs haven't fully developed
  • people with respiratory conditions who may struggle to breathe
  • people should not wear masks when exercising

People should be reminded that faces masks are meant to prevent water drop outward and not inwards.

It is vital that shop works and people with direct contact with the public ware them.

Maybe the site owners should be jailed and compensate any one who gets ill.

Maybe the site owners should be jailed and compensate any one who gets ill.

You do realise that it's not compulsory for employees to wear them right? Regardless of your feelings this is the law as it currently stands.

However in my experience sensible stores, Tesco, my local Nisa have their employees wearing them while they are out and about in the ailes. But not when behind the counter as long as they have decent screens in place.

You do realise that it's not compulsory for employees to wear them right? Regardless of your feelings this is the law as it currently stands.

However in my experience sensible stores, Tesco, my local Nisa have their employees wearing them while they are out and about in the ailes. But not when behind the counter as long as they have decent screens in place.
No science the screen work thu, while science suggest masks do, agree it not fun to wear them. IMHO the HSE should close shops that fail to ensure masks are worn by staff.

Most of the anti-mask brigade also appear to think the BBC is fake news, so I was directing them to these fact check pages instead when I saw such nonsense on Facebook but thankfully less has been appearing on my feed in recent weeks.

Most of the anti-mask brigade also appear to think the BBC is fake news, so I was directing them to these fact check pages instead when I saw such nonsense on Facebook but thankfully less has been appearing on my feed in recent weeks.
reminds me of the deadly god bothering disinfo about condoms, used on Africans

Every time I read a "Masks don't work" post I direct them to the address of our Chief Executive at the hospital who will appreciate their expert research because it would save our hospital millions because we've been foolishly wearing masks for more than a century. It always shuts them up.

I guess we'll all get to find out if we get an influenza pandemic later this year due to a lack of protection from exposure to related viruses, and the many other kinds of pathogens. Scientists have already been warning about the flu due to the fact we skipped a season.

Every time I read a "Masks don't work" post I direct them to the address of our Chief Executive at the hospital who will appreciate their expert research because it would save our hospital millions because we've been foolishly wearing masks for more than a century. It always shuts them up.
Although when people and even virologists have said or suggested this they're usually referring to the masks worn by the general public, in non hospital situations. Being major hubs for infection and having valuable staff it's a pity hospitals still haven't upgraded to FFP3 masks because where Covid is concerned they definitely do work.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom