Civilization VI

Oh and one other thing I should mention. Loading times are horrendous! Playing form an external drive (not SSD) on the X. But then I seem to recall it was pretty slow loading on pc too.

It takes a good minute or two (maybe more) to load from a cold start to the menu and then at least the same again to start/load a game.

At least once you’re in it’s ok. Just playing standard size map, normal turns, I think I’m up to turn 200 or so of 500 and the waiting times between turns is fine so far.

Will be interesting to see how it copes on my preferred huge maps, marathon length games.
Yeah that sounds just like the PC re loading times.

It will be interesting to see how it copes with huge maps / marathon games and that is the only way I play too!

Tried to have 10 minutes last night to capture the graphics corruption, so decided a new game would be easiest as there would probably be lots of scouts.

Sure enough after a few turns, I had my first scout. No corruption. Ok, will wait until a few other scouts show up. Show up they did and no corruption!

So I thought I’d go back to my other game as there’d been some corruption not long before I’d quit.

Again, nothing. So, of course I had to Keep playing for another three hours, just to make sure :rotfl:

The only difference was it was a cold start, rather than resuming from instant on, that’s all I can think of. Will have to keep an eye on it.

Well, despite playing daily for several hours at a time since being asked to send a video to tech support, I haven’t had it happen again :)

Frustrating in one way, because ideally I’d like it fixed, but on the other hand it’s good that it’s not happening.

My only issue with it now is the loading time’s. From load/continue to actually getting into the game 3m 15 secs last night! Next time I do a cold start from the dash, rather than resume, I’ll time how long it takes to get from the dash to the menu. Annoying though it is, it’s the same on pc (maybe not quite as long?) once your in the game it doesn’t matter anyway. Wonder if an SSD would improve things?

One other issue, it’s too bloody addictive:rotfl:

Well, despite playing daily for several hours at a time since being asked to send a video to tech support, I haven’t had it happen again :)

Frustrating in one way, because ideally I’d like it fixed, but on the other hand it’s good that it’s not happening.

My only issue with it now is the loading time’s. From load/continue to actually getting into the game 3m 15 secs last night! Next time I do a cold start from the dash, rather than resume, I’ll time how long it takes to get from the dash to the menu. Annoying though it is, it’s the same on pc (maybe not quite as long?) once your in the game it doesn’t matter anyway. Wonder if an SSD would improve things?

Just do what I do when playing the PC one. Set it to load and then go and make a coffee/tea whatever (you will need it!).

A whole 3 minutes and 15 seconds you say. :eek:

You pressed start on the controller and your child was a babe in arms and by the time the game started they had grown into a grey haired pensioner? :laugh:

Well, when you put it like that....:rotfl:

In the grand scheme of things, as I said it’s not really an issue. It just seems a long time while you’re waiting and compared to most other games it’s quite long.

Once it’s loaded it’s not an issue, especially when you’re playing 3-4 hours at a time and you don’t see another loading screen for the entirety.

Not whinging again...honest, but I said I’d time clicking on the game tile on the dash to getting to the menu, 3 mins 40 secs, then another 3:15 to actually start a game.

So pretty much 7 minutes from first clicking on the tile to actually getting to play the game, which is pretty excessive in my opinion. Don’t know of any other games that take as long.

The fact that I’ve played it daily, since I bought it says a lot about how great it is, despite the loading times.

On that note, I promise not to mention them again unless the subject comes up. :D

Not whinging again...honest, but I said I’d time clicking on the game tile on the dash to getting to the menu, 3 mins 40 secs, then another 3:15 to actually start a game.

So pretty much 7 minutes from first clicking on the tile to actually getting to play the game, which is pretty excessive in my opinion. Don’t know of any other games that take as long.

The fact that I’ve played it daily, since I bought it says a lot about how great it is, despite the loading times.

On that note, I promise not to mention them again unless the subject comes up. :D
I used to sit for hours waiting for Ant Attack to load on the ZX Spectrum. Seven minutes in this day and age is an absolute joke though, even 3 minutes is pushing it.

If you didn’t like the game, a lot, it would certainly put you off playing it.

Might even put people off even trying it, if it’s mentioned in reviews.

If you can get past that though, it’s brilliant.

So I finally got round to playing Civ on the Xbox and here's my thoughts...

I'm used to playing it on the laptop - I actually got round to a couple of games on the laptop after a hiatus of around 18 months. Finally finished the second game and decided to give the Xbox X version a go. I'm a Civ veteran and have been playing it since the very first one on the Amiga - I'm no deity level player though but I enjoy a challenge - I usually play on King level, huge maps and Marathon speed - I only like playing big massive games...in for a penny and all that!

The loading times weren't much difference to my laptop - its to be expected with Civ. The controller works quite well with it. The buttons are all used as well as they could be but...its all a bit (mac)clunky somehow :(. If I wasn't so used to it on the laptop I wouldn't know any difference and I can see they have implemented the controls as well as they could...but its just not as nice to play. Thing is, I actually prefer playing say Xcom Enemy Within and Xcom 2 War of the Chosen on the Xbox compared to the laptop - and that is a comparable game as its turn based. But with Civ it doesn't quite work for me.

To sum up - if you can't play Civ on a PC/laptop (and if you are playing on a laptop you really need a 17" screen in all honesty, 15" or less won't cut it for this game - believe me, I have tried!) then the Xbox version on a big screen is fine. But I just couldn't get on with it.

So I finally got round to playing Civ on the Xbox and here's my thoughts...

I'm used to playing it on the laptop - I actually got round to a couple of games on the laptop after a hiatus of around 18 months. Finally finished the second game and decided to give the Xbox X version a go. I'm a Civ veteran and have been playing it since the very first one on the Amiga - I'm no deity level player though but I enjoy a challenge - I usually play on King level, huge maps and Marathon speed - I only like playing big massive games...in for a penny and all that!

The loading times weren't much difference to my laptop - its to be expected with Civ. The controller works quite well with it. The buttons are all used as well as they could be but...its all a bit (mac)clunky somehow :(. If I wasn't so used to it on the laptop I wouldn't know any difference and I can see they have implemented the controls as well as they could...but its just not as nice to play. Thing is, I actually prefer playing say Xcom Enemy Within and Xcom 2 War of the Chosen on the Xbox compared to the laptop - and that is a comparable game as its turn based. But with Civ it doesn't quite work for me.

To sum up - if you can't play Civ on a PC/laptop (and if you are playing on a laptop you really need a 17" screen in all honesty, 15" or less won't cut it for this game - believe me, I have tried!) then the Xbox version on a big screen is fine. But I just couldn't get on with it.
Not sure if you knew this but you can get Civ 6 free on the Epic Store right now (until Thurs).

Not sure if you knew this but you can get Civ 6 free on the Epic Store right now (until Thurs).
Yeah already bought mine. Its much better with the expansions of course so Im not surprised at the giveaway.

I’ve owned it on steam since release, only played a few hours on it, so didn’t really have anything to compare it with control-wise, so didn’t have any issues with the Xbox control method.

Huge maps, marathon is definitely the only way to play.

I’ve owned it on steam since release, only played a few hours on it, so didn’t really have anything to compare it with control-wise, so didn’t have any issues with the Xbox control method.

Huge maps, marathon is definitely the only way to play.
It didnt seem 'clunky' to you on the Xbox? It did to me. I am very used to the Steam one though. The only mod I use is the Civ V graphics one - because Civ V graphics are better!

Oh, it’s certainly easier with keyboard and mouse :)

Having played a few strategy/builder type games on Xbox, most recently Railway Empire and Cities Skylines, I didn’t think it seemed too clunky, one of the better interfaces really. Obviously it’s always going to be a bit of a compromise on a controller, but certainly nothing to put me off playing.

Oh, it’s certainly easier with keyboard and mouse :)

Having played a few strategy/builder type games on Xbox, most recently Railway Empire and Cities Skylines, I didn’t think it seemed too clunky, one of the better interfaces really. Obviously it’s always going to be a bit of a compromise on a controller, but certainly nothing to put me off playing.
Well I was disappointed because Xcom 1 and 2 run so nicely on a controller that I much prefer it to the mouse. I guess Civ is the exception. Just couldn't get on with it. Might be just as well given the potential for screen burn too mind! Civ games are never short and sweet...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom