1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civilisation III Questions

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Garrett, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    Why is it some cities are producing something like 12 shield in production yet 10 are wasted?

Can building wonders be speeded up. In Civ II you could buy them, of disband units to add to them, or use caravans?

Can you start with a ciz to get the city names, yet use your own name as the governor, and call your civ an other name. Also some civs have benefits others do not can that civ be chosen, use an other civ for naming cities?

Only half way through (I think) but can you knock mountains down to hills then plains like in civ II with engineers?

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,890
    The distance cities are from your capital has a huge bearing on the level of corruption, which will probably explain why some cities have so much waste.

As for the other questions.... Sorry, haven't played it for a while. I think you can speed up wonders, but cannot remember how.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    Do you get spies, I have got Espionage but spies do not appear in my things to build. If you do not have spies how can you subvert etc cities?

4. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,890
    I can't remember how espionage works! Blimey, with the amount of games, rules, keysets, maps, tactics, etc., I have to remember it's a wonder I still have room in my brain for stuff like how to walk. :blush:

As for subverting cities, the best way to do this is thru influence. If you have a nearby city with lots of culture, lots of happy citizens, etc., opposing cities will spontaneously join you. (Assuming they have less culture, unhappy citizens, etc).

In this way it is possible for a peaceful civilisation to expand without requiring military intervention.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    I had bout 10 cities come over to my side already. :D

I was wondering is that what the boundaries of your influence is, I thought it was the amount of land you could cultivate but when I click on a city it just show the squares that use to be there in Civ II and I cannot grow, mine etc for that city beyond it although I think I can colonise some of it.

6. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,890
    No, your cultural influence extends beyond the land you can cultivate. IIRC some of the wonders can really help extend your influence too.

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    Sorry Squiffy if I did not make myself clear there. I was on about the area you can grow food for your city etc, os it still the 5x5 diamond shape with the corners cut out?

8. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't played Civ3, but, in Call to Power 2, as cities grow their boundaries increase giving you more tiles to improve. Firaxis could have swiped that idea for Civ3

9. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,890
    No your borders can be pushed back by a more influential city. It's all down to relative populations, level of culture, etc.

Bear in mind I haven't played this game for probably 18 months! I still have it though - it's too much of a classic to sell!

Well, until Civ 4 appears anyway.... :rolleyes: It's rumoured to be in development with the Meirmeister himself.

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    I just rememberd it is 5X5 not 3x3.

I think the game is nicer to look at but I do not like some of the rule changes although the no penaly for supporting units is a good thing. The wonders are a bit cheap now I loved the old movies in Civ II, I also think they use to give info on the unit in the in city screen when you went to select what to build but that is not there now.

11. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone stripped the tiles out of Civ III and made a mod to put them into Call to Power 2. It looks great despite a couple of water tiles not lining up properly.

I'm a bit put off buying Civ III. I couldn't be arsed with micromanaging the settlers on the other official games and I hear this one is the same. I hope theres a public works patch for Civ III. Also, I'm too used to CtP games now, I love the unconventional warfare units.

12. masped

masped

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't produce spies as such in Civ III. Instead you use the espionage screen. You should see a small letter E in the bottom right hand part of the screen, along with a D (for diplomacy) and various others depending on what you have researched. Click on this to open the screen. You should then be able to select from various options for subversion, stealing technology etc. but you have to pay for them all, and it's not cheap! There's more info in the FAQs section of the Civ III website at http://www.civ3.com

I haven't played for a while either, but I think you should be able to speed up Wonders by opening the city screen where it's being produced and then there's a small icon over the production box which lets you either pay for its completion or otherwise hurry production by "sacrificing" part of the city population (I think the actual action depends on your government type). Having said all that, I have a feeling that this option may only be available for normal production items and not for wonders. Try looking in the civilopedia.

I'm not sure about mixing and matching civilisation attributes. You can certainly rename your ruler and you can always rename your cities by hand when you build them, but I guess that's a lot of effort. Otherwise you can always create a custom Civilisation using the editor.

I can't remember the various actions that are possible for transforming landscapes, but again I'm sure it's in the civilopedia somewhere.

13. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thing that always annoyed me was the stupid army stacking rules - has anyone ever got a general ?

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    How do you establish embassy I saw it with one other Civ and said yes but do not have any with others and it is about 2000AD?

What year des the game go to in Civ II it went to 2100AD?

I have to say I really cannot do with instructions on a disc I have to have a book.

15. wnb

wnb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    reallu liked this game but next thing you know you start waiting ages for the pf to finish its go.

16. masped

masped

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Establishing an embassy is via the diplomacy screen. Select the civilisation you want to establish it with, click on "Establish Embassy" and then select "Safely" in the bottom right with the cost.

17. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    Is this the screen? As I cannot see where you mean.
    Also when I click on the E for espionage the only options I get is to look at a city or steal technology. :confused:

Attached Files:

18. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Garrett

From memory (coz I'm at work), if you look in the bottom right of your picture, there are 4 tiny little buttons arranged vertically, the top one being 'D'. That's the screen you want.

Tho to be frank, if you've reached 1993AD without it, it may be that you didn't need it anyway..

19. masped

masped

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, creating embassies is in the espionage screen (it's the option above investigate city and steal technology!). You need to have built an espionage agency to carry out other types of espionage.

20. Precizion

Precizion
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just finished playing through this for nth time, so should be able to answer your questions pretty well.

1. As mentioned, the shield waste is because of corruption. It can get pretty bad at times, and later on in the game when you build citys at a distance it can be very hard to get them producing anything (especially if you play on a large map). Connecting them via roads, rail or airports can help cut this down, as can things such as courthouses and police stations. Even then though, the corruption can be pretty bad so it might be worth downloading one of the anti corruption mods out there for the game (one does it really well without taking away the challenge of the game).

2. There are no spies. The first thing you can do is establish an embassy (double click the icon next to your Captial city's name) and that allows you to view what other citys are building. Later on in the game you can build the Pentagon. When thats done, double click the icon next to the city name where it was built, and itll give you a load of options such as stealing troop movement plans, spreading propoganda etc.

3. Influence is gained by building improvements such as librarys and cathedrals (as well as wonders). If you look at the city screen, youll see at the top a bar which tells you next time the influence will expand. A good tip with this is to always make building a temple your first priority (after getting some kind of defence and a worker) so that you have the full amount of squares available.

4. The only way to speed up wonder production is I believe through Generals (which are gained during battles). Or you could always chop trees down which send about 10 shields to the production.

5. From that screen you posted, you have a lot of cash. Be sure to use a load of it to hurry productions by clicking the little icon next to the improvement selection box (only works once you have Monarcy or above, otherwise it takes the life of a citizen).

If you have any other questions, let me know.

p.s. Stick with it, because at the start I wasn't keen on all the changes either (being a big fan of Civ2), but now think it's a great game.

21. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    Thanks that clears a few things up :smashin: . What’s the crack with the building army’s that’s something I have not tried yet?

I usually get to Republic and Democracy asp.

How does the global warming thing work on the old system it changed colour the warmer it got but this I cannot tell any change even though once it said there was some flooding.

Also how do you trade the best way in Civ II I found an opponents city that wanted a commodity and sent a caravan from one of mine (as far away as possible) that produced it and got max money back.

Can you tell where the wonders are build on Civ II you could look them up but I have not see it on this game.

22. masped

masped

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The pollution indicator is the yellow sun icon in the top left of the box showing the artillery unit in the screenshot that you posted. The bigger / brighter this is, the more likely it is that global warming will occur. I agree that it's not always easy to see the change, but I think it turns from orange to yellow to white.

Trading is through the diplomacy screen - the one that's shown in your screenshot. You can trade in luxuries (dyes, furs etc.) or resources (iron, coal etc.). To trade, either select an item that you have a surplus of and ask what the other civ's leader would be willing to trade in return or select an item you want and suggest an exchange. All trade agreements last for 20 turns.

23. Precizion

Precizion
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a pollution indicator as mentioned, but since it does not give all that clear an idea of the levels, I wouldnt pay much attention to it. Best thing is just to link all your citys up by railroad and have a few workers sitting around ready to pounce on any pollution that pops up on your squares (it tells you at the beginning of a turn when this happens).

Not quite sure what you mean with wonders. Do you mean which city they are built in? Or what the wonders actually do? If its the first, then you can see them on the culture screen. If it's the second, you can find them in the civolopedia (or even better, you can download new splash screens for them which tells you exactly what each does. Try www.civfanatics.com to find them).

Trading is done via the diplomacy screen as Masped said, but this can only happen once you are either linked to the other Civ by either roads or ports (after a certain tech advance).

Armys are built via Generals which you gain first through battles (one will appear when a unit has fought a lot of times and won). When a General does appear, you press the create Army button and then move other units on top of it and load them up (like with a ship). I think once you have created at least one army, you can build a wonder later in the game that allows you to produce as many as you like.

24. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    That army rule was the thing that annoyed me most about Civ 3 - it's ridiculous.

25. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    I can see the Global Warming indicator but as Precizion state it does not give a clear indication of the level of pollution, in Civ II the change was quite clear and it also gave a final warning before anything got too drastic.

I have only one other Civ on my continent and I’m linked to them and got an Embassy I has an other Civ who I also have contact with because the had a city before they defected to my side.

On the Wonders in Civ you could click on one of the header and look at things like Space Ships and what and where the Wonders were built, which was handy if you wanted one you just had to look at then conquer that city.

Not fought any battles yet.

26. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    And your in the 20th century! You want a medal from the (virtual) UN.

27. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    I'm called Garrett and more into stealing technology. War is for any one called Bush or Blair. :D

28. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    Ops I posted this last night in the on the wrong thread :blush:

Also do I need to build Police Stations if you have the suffragette movement wonder built. Coal mines, if you are going to build the Hoover Dam and Solar Power?

29. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678

I always nuke the computer player that does that, pisses me right off :D

More of fan of 2 and alpha centuri than 3 though, didn't like how if you are a democrocy and you have a city on the other side of the world they would always revolt or have like 100% corruption! Couldn't forgive it for that.

30. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    I know Civ III has blocked :nono: some of my very sneaky ways of building wonders I used in Civ II. :devil:

I have Alpha Centari but never got round to playing it. It seems a bit different for CivII.

To stop a diplomat/spy in Civ II it is wise to have a spy in each city but even then they still steal, I once ring fenced one city with settlers and troops to stop diplomats getting in till I was ready for war.