Civ IV - Game of the year?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by DeepS, Nov 6, 2005.

1. DeepS

DeepS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello All

I picked up Civ IV on Friday and I have been playing almost non stop.
    I can not believe how good a game it is and it is really a victory of gameplay over graphics (not that the graphics are bad, far from it in fact).

I am usually a FPS game player but this game is up there with HL2 for wanting me to keep returning to it and carry on playing.

I am yet to try the multiplayer options but I think it will take some time just to master the game at a reasonable level.

Anyone else played it? Any thoughts?

DeepS

2. swanny

swanny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    From the manual:

"Prolonged nuclear exchanges may eventually transform the world into an uninhabitable wasteland"

Oh yes. :smashin:

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    Just ordered this from Play (£18 - bargain!), so I'm hoping to dive into it later this week. How similar is it to the previous versions - and to someone who's not really got into the previous versions, but loves strategy games (thats me!) how accessible is it?

4. swanny

swanny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I played the first Civ to death on my Amiga. I got CivIII for the PC and didn't get on with it at all. CIV IV is so far very promising. Excellent new graphics, reduced or removed some of the annoying parts that crept into CIV III. The user interface is great - lots of tooltips and online help.

So far so good. :smashin:

5. DeepS

DeepS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also played Civ when it first came out and then moved to Alpha Centauri aka Civ 2100. I read the reviews on Civ III and decided to give it a miss but Civ IV is true return to form. Everything has been improved - 3D graphics engine, technology tree, city management etc. Check out the tutorial which is narrated by none other than Sid Meier himself.

It is very easy to pick but very difficult to let go. Time to go to the chemist to get some eye drops as I forget to blink when playing this game!

DeepS

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    i started on Civ2, which i loved, especially making my own landmasses and scenarios..lol
    i once played 16 hours a day for 2 weeks while i wasnt working to finish a huge landmass game that was very very tough to win...lol
    i remember around 6 days in i almost lost it....but got lucky and became insignificant enough to be ignored...heh....the FOOLS!!!..lol

i then eventually picked up Civ3 a few months back as i've never been able to get Civ2 to work properly on my current PC, dunno why, tried a few different box versions, it just keeps crashing, tried all the emulation stuff etc :-(
    Civ3 was ok, didnt quite have the same sensation as playing Civ2, but i liked the cultural influence thing, that was quite neat.....all you gotta do is build a couple of cities near a remote one of your oponents, grow them really quickly...and build cultural type buildings, and before ya know it, you've convinced them to join you...lol

but as i type, i am about to close my browser and play Civ4...heh picked it up friday, didnt have the chance to play yesterday sadly......so i'll see you all in about 3 years...lol

btw, once i've worked out the mechanics of it, i'd be happy to hook up if anyone wants to do a multiplayer say next weekend?.....PM me if your interested, mebbe we can set up a 4 way or something on a smallish island (just so we not playing for days...lol...altho that would be good fun by email) we could use my clans TS server to chat while we play.....heh (its usually only in use when we have matches which we dont have that often atm and we should be able to make a spare room anyhow) all you need for TS is a microphone, altho preferably as part of a headset, otherwise speakers can give annoying feedback...lol

7. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    I've got to say I love the fact you can play by email - is that just a gimmick, or could you really play that way?

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    dunno exactly how it works yet, but i would imagine you make your move, hit a button, the computer then encodes it in to a small file, email that to your opponent, who then opens the email, extracts the file and puts it into their game somehow, then it makes all the moves, then you do yours....bit like playing chess by mail but with electronic info rather than just say 'i've moved my pawn forward a couple squares...'..heh

in other words you cant do it from work unless you allowed to have it on your work PC...lol
    actually, wonder if anyone ever modified Civ2 to play by email, i could probably run that on my MDA Compact pda/phone....could play civ2 anywhere then...lol

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,722
    I too played Civ on the Amiga and then got Civ II for the PC I just played it too long, some time too long.
    I got Civ III and I only played only about 3 time I did not like the game play, it was one big one big land grab at the begining, I also missed the little movies the Wonder of the World cut scenes were very poor.
    I hope IV is better.

10. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    well, after playing a small world game just to get an idea of how it wants to work it, im certainly a lot more impressed than i was by Civ3.........it takes a few moments to get used to the more modern psuedo 3dness......and they aint kidding when they say there is a lot more improvements, civics, wonders etc....lol......but the religious side is nutty!! i love it....i had a city with jews, islamics and taoists all living happily...lol
    the wandering hobos are good fun too (Great People, artists, engineers, prophets etc)

im looking forward to playing a big world game, but i'll be honest, i think it could get quite difficult even on easy settings given how many options you are presented with.

there are thankfully some good new management commands to save you doing the micromanagement you never wanted to do, but still the freedom to do the micromanagement you love doing....heh

the voiceover guy is pretty good, the wonder videos are not bad, altho i still think i prefer the Civ2 ones....lol

i never really played one so i wont rate that, but i'll go for the moment with

Civ2 10/10
    Civ3 7/10
    Civ4 9/10

i dont think it will quite get 10 in the same way HL2 gets 9/10 but HL gets 10/10, its been done in the best way possible already, simply modernising it graphically just cant let it achieve the same level....it may be more or less as good, but the original always takes the gold medal if its done as well as Civ2 was (i say Civ2 cuz i didnt play 1, but i think most people i know say that they like Civ and Civ2 as much as each other anyhow)

anyhow, it does still help to grab a bit of land in the beginning, but i've got the feeling its going to rely a lot more on your culture rating and religious levels......

anyhow, its sunday night, i have to be on the phone selling stuff tomorrow so im going on Counter Strike Source now to hurt people to get my adrenellin in check....heh

but as i say, anyone fancy a multiplayer sometime let me know by PM on here and we'll see if we can setup a time limit game....heh

11. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got this on order.

Played civ2 24*7 at uni (more than a few all nighters). played Civ 3 , the sid miers version, also had the firaxis one Alpha Centuri.

Civ 2 was the best, but I liked Civ 3s notion of dynamic borders which is also in the new one afaik. I am glad you say that the wonder videos are back as I missed them in Civ 3. Can't wait.

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,372
    Ohhh very tempted!! A new PC game that my PC can actually play! :thumbsup:

13. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Got this yesterday and will be installing it tonight. Civ III, like others have said, was a disappointment, so hopefully Civ IV will be a bit more like Civ II but with added religious nuttiness.

Must say I'm looking forward to matching tanks against phalanx again. Have to say it was a quick rush to democracy then tanks for me in Civ II from which you can probably deduce that I wasn't one for diplomacy but more for global domination (muahahaha).

As you can now pick'n'mix the best bits of government types I'd be interested to see what effect this has on the game.

14. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    its quite interesting really......you still offend pretty much every other civ on the map because one of your civics or religious beliefs will be one they dont happen to like...lol

the cultural borders is such a nice thing, and tbh i'd say in earlier times quite a likely event......i had much fun getting a few Great People to give me massive culture boost in a city 2 squares from an opponent, it was enough that in 2 more turns once my library was built i converted the other city....hehe

15. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,722
    I was one for demoralizing the enemy and causing a riot, and buying the city out cheap. :D

16. DeepS

DeepS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have managed to achieve a time, space and domination victory and now I am trying to get a diplomatic victory. It definitely requires a new strategy as my natural tendency is destroy a couple of civs during the game and take it from there.
    I am just 2 votes short of winning a diplomatic victory before I run out of turns.
    Anyone got a diplomatic victory yet?

DeepS

17. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got it yesterday. Started playing at 10 pm , deciced at 12.30 I'd better turn it off. It seems to combine the best of Civ 2 and 3.

Can't wait to explore it in more detail. The auto city and worker management is awesome.

18. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    so is anyone up for a multiplayer at some point? happy to do a 1vs1 duel type or a 3 or 4 player?...can either manage 5-6 hours continous play on a weekday evening from 7pm, or whatever you like from 7pm on a friday thru till 11pm sunday...lol

and as i say, we can use my clans Teamspeak2 server to chat on while we play if you want, not sure how good the ingame voice is....

19. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My graphics card just died, now I'm stuck with my Matrox G400 - so I can't play this game yet :(

20. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    I know this is an old thread.,...but

I got a hold of this recently and I just can't get enthused by it. I think it has a lot to do with me being a big fan of Age Of Empires III. So Civ obviously has a totally different feel.

I just have the feeling that Im missing something that everyone else sees ! I find it boring.

Age of Empires III on the other hand I think is just fantastic. Great online against human players.

Maybe RTS just float my boat more.

Anyone else feel the same way ? What about the new crop like "Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends" ? anyone played that ?

21. richardma

richardma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am downloading the demo now, been looking at this game for quite a while. Does it play in 1280 by 800 widescreen? Hoping my laptop will play it.