Citroen Xzara Picasso "Warning Light"

brave01heart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

We have owned a Citroen Xzara Picasso 1.6 petrol on an 02 plate since new and, apart from 'wear & tear' parts being replaced, it has always been reliable and served us well but, this morning when my wife started the car, it juddered as if it was going to 'cut-out' and there was an 'orange warning lamp' at the extreme right side of the display.

She pulled away from the house with it juddering but stopped about 7 minutes later and restarted the car and the juddering stopped but the light was still on.

Then this afternoon when she left work, the car drove normally but again, the warning lamp was still on.

The warning lamp looks like an engine with a sort of "K" and in the 'hand book' it's called "Engine Auto-diagnosis" and states the following:

"If it flashes or lights while the engine is running, it indicates a fault within the fuel injection, ignition or anti-pollution systems" (according to country).

I would appreciate advice from any member who has this model of car and anyone technicians who can give us an indication of what might need to be done and possible costs please.

Thanks, Brave01Heart

without checking car over or connecting diagnostic to it if there is a missfire it might be a coilpack breaking down !!

get the car plugged in to a diagnostic machine cost between £20.00-45.00

Last edited:
Yeh, i'd go coil pack as well but will need fault code reading to be 100% sure.
I'd help more but you dont say where you live. For all I know you could be round the corner from me and i'd plug in my Snap on reader!

Hi dthomas and DELUCAS

Many thanks for your replies. :)

I live down on the south coast, central area.

We are in the AA, so it would not cost us anything to call them out to look at the car and connect their code reader to it and that way we would confirm what you both seem to think, that it is the 'coilpack' breaking down. So we may give that a try tomorrow when I finish work.

As I said earlier. this problem only started this morning so we have not heard any misfiring, yet!

Is the coilpack like the ignition coil and if it's left unrepaired, will it get worse and what is the worst case scenario?

Again, if it is the coilpack, can it be accessed/replaced fairly easily on the Picasso and how much would it cost?

Thanks, Brave01Heart

Yep coil pack is like the ignition coil but it will be a long plastic pack with 4 ht lead type ends on the end if my memory serves me correct !

Cost approx 65.00 -125.00 but please connect to a scanner first as may be plug breaking down to a faulty injector etc :smashin:

These coil packs really are a pain in the ass, aren't they?
We've got a brand new Scirocco that's had to have roadside assistance 4 times, eventually going into the dealer for two days.
They said "faulty sparkplugs", but we all know they mean the coilpacks.
Bloody thing has only done 1000 miles!

These coil packs really are a pain in the ass, aren't they?
We've got a brand new Scirocco that's had to have roadside assistance 4 times, eventually going into the dealer for two days.
They said "faulty sparkplugs", but we all know they mean the coilpacks.
Bloody thing has only done 1000 miles!

The trouble is that the manufactures dont do long term tests on cars anymore !! MONEY !

So they let joe puplic do the testing because there sure find all the faults like dodgy accelator ped toyota and faulty dashboards renault scenic etc

its cheaper to repair under warranty than not have a car released for testing long term .

If it is the coil pack you can also get a tested, used one off ebay for around £30.

It could be any of a number of problems -the only way to find out is to have a diagnostic check done. Don't jump to conclusions & throw random parts at it!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom