1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Circle Surround II Mono

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stepe, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Stepe

Stepe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks :)

I have been told that Circle Surround II is the best technology for creating "Surround Sound" out of a Mono source. Has anyone any experience of this? and how can it create surround signals from a one-channel source?

I would appreciate any help with this, as I am considering buying an Amp with this technology. Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

2. Stepe

Stepe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:

Come on guys. Surely I'm not the only person interested in Circle Surround II?

3. endora

endora
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just got a receiver which has CSII (Marantz 7400) and the mono mode seems to spread the sound on all speakers (mainly the front) even the voices. I prefer using CSII Movie (or Cinema?) for watching TV with a mono source.

4. Stepe

Stepe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Endora for that. Anyone else? :lease:

5. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I too have recently purchased a 7400 and I found that CS II Movie gave me strange squiggly noises (best way to describe) on terrestrial channels, whether mono or stereo originally. I found that CS II or PL II Music seemed to cure this - maybe because it doesn't try to centre the dialogue too much to the center speaker, but spreads it a bit more evenly across the three front channels a bit better - just what I found that seemed to work for me. Personally I preferred CS II Music. Try all the modes and see which works the best for you.

6. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont know about CSII mono, but my Krell Showcase processor has Dolby Prologic II Matrix, also intended for mono sources, and I love it for TV, great, much better than Movie wich sends most sound to the center channel, Matrix also favours the center but still sends enough sound to the other channels increasing significantely the spaciousness of the sound stage...

7. Stepe

Stepe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments.

But I thought Dolby Pro Logic II was to enhance Stereo soundtracks, not Mono? :confused:

8. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know that, even TV is stereo, but heavily centered, lots of speach, if you use Movie you almost only get sound from the center speaker in those instances, with Matrix there is always sound from all the speakers, filling the room and increasing ambience, if you know what I mean...

When the TV plays music or movies it behaves similar to Movie...

Anyway Circle Surround is also for stereo...

9. Stepe

Stepe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, but apparently there is a Circle Surround II mode called: CSII Mono.

Does anybody know if that is any good?

Does it give anyway decent surround ambience in all speakers? :lease:

10. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I would say that everyone's opinion of what is best surround format for mono or stereo sources will vary tremendously. Different manufacturers have different ways of doing this, and you can layer effects with some amps, with a PL or CS algorithm further modded by an ambience, like "theatre" or "concert". Assuming you have not bought an amp yet, I would suggest, if you have the right PC equipment, to try and record a music or TV channel on to a CD in "Mono" mode, take the CD to a decent AV dealer and have them slot the CD in a machine and listen to the modes as much as you can to see which one excites (or not) as the case may be - then you will at least know from your own ears which is likely to be the mode that best works. If you don;t have access to the software/CD writing s/w and h/w, you might phone a few to seeif they have a suitable source to demo through various amps. Then you will know for sure what will work for you - and you might be surprised to learn that it is exactly not the mode that the manual has suggested :rolleyes: !

11. phils_wicked

phils_wicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Is this the same as CMSS 3d on the Audigy soundcards? personaly I prefer PL2 enhanced on my 750SE, for tv material.

Horses for courses in the end though.

12. Stepe

Stepe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At present I have a Yamaha A595 and although it's a pretty good amp, it is limited to just DD 5.1. Others I have seen have 6 and 7.1 plus DPLII, DTS ES, DD5.1EX etc. On my present amp it has a "mono movie" mode for mono sources, but it sounds just awful (heavy reverb and echoes). I never liked it, so I was wondering what else there was on offer? Was there anything better?

13. Stepe

Stepe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems like I'm one of the very few who is interested in this subject, and obviously others haven't found Circle Surround II worth the bother! :rolleyes:

14. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I think you'll find the Circle Surround is only available on a few brands - Marantz being the one I know. I do not think it is on either Yamaha, Denon or Pioneer, who use PLII and their own surround steering algorithms. Probably why you haven't got too much feedback, as I think the Marantz AV folk are fewer and further between in this forum. As mentioned above, I think CSII Music fits the bill, and prefer it to PLII and the other modes. It seems to do a better job of spreading the sound consitently while retaining some degree of separation (in stereo signals) from L/R. In mono it just expands the signal across the front three channels.

15. Stepe

Stepe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying Antpink. I think you must be right, obviously not many

Marantz people here! I'll maybe try further afield. Thanks anyway for all your

comments and help. :thumbsup:

16. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    No problemo....

17. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would say, dont buy a receiver because it has CSII, as long as it has at least DPLII, other characteristics are far more important, particularly how it matches your speakers...

18. Stepe

Stepe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lowrider. Will do. :)