Cineworld unlimited card - some guidance

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by BlackCountryBob, Sep 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackCountryBob

BlackCountryBob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi

I've recently changed my local cinema preference to a near by Cineworld and as I visit more often than not once a week I have been considering buying one of these unlimited cards but I have found the info on the Cineworld website to be lacking so I am hoping there is someone here who has one of the cards that can answer my questions.

1 - How unlimited is it really? Is there some kind of maximum allowance of screenings or does it restrict you from seeing movies at certain times or on certain days?

2 - I know it is paid by direct debit but is it a 12 month contract or can I cancel after a few months without getting hassle or having to pay off the rest of the contract?

3 - When I use it, how does it work? Do I just walk into the cinema flash the card and go into whatever screening I want or do I have to go to the ticket counter and still get a ticket just not need to pay for it?

4 - The Cineworld website mentions stuff about getting lots of special promotions etc but how frequent are they and are they any good? Do they pass on your details to third party's meaning you receive loads of spam by post, SMS and text?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

2. klacey

klacey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Hi pal i have 1 and will answer what i can.
    1. Yeap there is no limit, i went 3 times in 1 day.
    2. I believe you are tied to that 1 year subscription
    3. When you go in you have to que as normal, ask for what film you want to see, your card is swiped and you get your ticket.
    4. Promotions are not that often and normally just a few £1 vouchers.

hope this helps, but its well worth doing if you go more then twice a month. :thumbsup:

3. Coz22998

Coz22998
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,090
    black country bob,

i second everything klacey has said - i've had one for nearly seven years (i signed up when it was ugc and just before seeing m-i:2 at the cinema!) and its a brilliant deal. i used to go at least once a week (have sadly stopped going that often now as other things tend to get in the way) but even now when i probably only go between 2 or 3 times a month, it still pays for itself.

well worth doing - if i had to pay £7.50 every time i went to the flicks, i'd probably stop going!

mark

4. BlackCountryBob

BlackCountryBob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Thanks guys, you have answered my questions brilliantly. Many thanks

I think I will be getting one, I tend to visit the cinema lots as I have plenty of free time (I'm a student) so I think it will be a useful addition to my wallet (though the savings I will get will be proportionately less as I usually only pay £4 for a ticket).

5. klacey

klacey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Your most welcome, and you may find you go more often, when you dont have to keep paying. :thumbsup:

6. MrGKaplan

MrGKaplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    From having an unlimited card for nearly a year there's a few flaws to the system that should be pointed out.

You cannot book a ticket online in advance using the card - nor can you get a ticket for a screening that is not on the day you attend the cinema (or this is my understanding - correct me if I'm wrong)

Meaning for the latest big film you want to go see, ie Death Proof next weekend, you will have to go to the cinema the day/time you want to see the film and hope there's some seats left and more importantly they are good seats (no one wants to sit right at the front do they, or not all together with the people you are attending with?!)

The risk therefore is that big film screenings (ie evenings and event/blockbuster/popular ones) could sell out in advance and there's nothing you can do to secure a ticket.

I guess you could go to the cinema earlier in the day and get the tickets but this is hardly ideal for people working the daily grind.

So if you go to the cinema mostly on a weekend and are particular about seeing films the opening weekend - the busiest times at the cinema - then I'd be wary of signing up.

A good trick if you want discounted tickets at Cineworld is to book online using the student rate and then use the automated ticket collection machines to get your tickets. I've never had a staff member on the ticket gate ask to see a student card having used this method numerous times in the past.

Save yourself a few pounds ;)

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    not many cinemas allocate seat numbers these days....even in london.....so even if you reserve, if you dont turn up early enough you'll still get a crap seat.....

however the point about having to turn up to purchase is i believe correct...so all you do is get the next showing if there is one and pop to a pub for a couple hours :D

as for the student ticket thing, all that will do is put the prices up even higher....why not just pay what you are supposed to?.....its not like we're talking £50 difference....

8. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've got tickets for a screening a few days in advance using my unlimited card. I went in there on a Monday to get tickets for a Friday film - 3 adults & 1 unlimited - and they did it.

However, this may be due to the mostly gormless staff in my local and such a service may not be available everywhere!

I agree about the online bookings though, which is a shame as that can sometimes save time queueing.

9. fordy_uk6

fordy_uk6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had one about 2 months now, and have easily used it enough so far to justify getting one. Im a student too so dont quite making the same savings as most people would with it. I find myself going through spells of not going for a week or 2 and then going like 5 times in a weekend.

Having to queue up is a little annoying though seen as all they do is swipe the card. It would be good if they could improve the advance ticket machine to allow unlimited card holders to use them. Put in the ticket, pick the film and off you go.

10. nickeverett

nickeverett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why the 'Cineworld Unlimited Members should be able to book petition' was created

If you have a Cineworld Unlimited Card the only way to get a film ticket is to be there at the cinema in person on the day of the show. You cannot pre book online or over the phone. Your only choice is the queue. You can't use the ticket machines at the cinema as they are for credit card purchases only. So your only choice is to tempt your luck, queue and hope that your film does not get sold out before you get to the till!
    This petition is about getting better treatment for the regular monthly paying customers of Cineworld:
    Possibility of pre booking, priority queues,
    Unlimited card ticket kiosk (where you swipe your card and get the ticket!)

Cineworld Unlimited Members Should Be Able To Book petition

11. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thread necromancy at its best. j/k

Happy new year :D

12. Sauce

Sauce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    One word of warning.

I was a student a couple of years ago and they opened a Cineworld right opposite our halls of residence. Like the OP had to ask, they hadn't made it clear that you were tied into a 12-month contract (I wouldn't have signed up if they did), so when I moved out of halls and my nearest Cineworld was 30+ miles away I asked to cancel. I was told this wasn't a good enough reason to cancel and that I had to fulfil my contract (I had to get the customer service rep to go through the T&C with me and point out the bit about the 12 month contract because it was worded so ambiguously), and so I just stopped the direct debit.

Now, to their credit, Cineworld hasn't tried to get any extra money off me, but they have said if I ever want to join again I'll have to pay for a full 12 months up-front.

I got more than my money's worth out of it while I had it though, and haven't been to any cinema since - too far away and too expensive. I just add it to my LoveFilm list and wait for the movies to come to me :)

13. mckee74

mckee74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,275
    I've signed that petition. I love my Unlimited card but the inability to pre-book is incredibly annoying.

14. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,487
    With regard 3D films it says you pay an extra £1.50, so does that include the glasses? I take my own glasses so will it be cheaper?

15. djphatic

djphatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    £1.50 charge is for the 3D showing only and does not include glasses. If you don't already have a pair you have to pay for the glasses which I think were about 80p last time I bought some a few weeks ago.

I'd also like to add that you can use your Unlimited card with Orange Wednesdays.

16. Miss Chief

Miss Chief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Whilst pre-booking would make the unlimited card much easier, I'm assuming that it would make 'no-shows' much more prevalent as you could book a seat and then if you get a better offer or can't make it then you'd shrug and think it's cost you nothing so who cares, whereas the cinema could have sold that seat to someone in the queue.

17. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,691
    If you guys don't already know (I didn't until recently) you don't have to "buy" your tickets from the main box office, you can get them from any of the food counters. (This is for any tickets, BTW, not just using the unlimited card.)

In the Milton Keynes one, I usually go straight to the ice cream or pic n mix counter and get my tickets from there, never had more than two people in front of me, despite massive queues out front at the box office.

18. djphatic

djphatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I agree.

Id prefer if you could use your Unlimited card in the booking machines which would allow Unlimited members to skip the queue.

19. The_kUrGaN

The_kUrGaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    That's useful to know.... thanks. First time this happened to us this week actually at our local small Cineworld when no one was on the main ticket desk and the guy on the ice cream counter called us over.

Cheers

Oh, by the way, has anyone seen the price increase for 2011 yet and the official date of increase?

20. djphatic

djphatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I presume the price increase is effective from 1 April as my e-mail states the increased rate will be debited on 18 April.

Just looking on their website and it still states £13.50 a month so you may be able to cancel your current card and sign up again and get 12 months at £13.50 a month?

21. The_kUrGaN

The_kUrGaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well my card runs out at the end of May and I have been advised I can renew 6 weeks before. My wife has just renewed hers for the current price. Wonder if they would accept a gift card for renewal ie buy now and renew in a couple of months? Hmmmm

22. lee667

lee667

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +601
    i haven't had any emails about a price increase, but then mine runs out in the summer. What have they quoted, if anything? To be honest i'll still renew as me and my OH go pretty much twice a week anyway so we save a bundle

23. djphatic

djphatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Here's the e-mail I received on 17 February.

24. mckee74

mckee74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,275
    I still love my Cineworld card but does anyone else get really annoyed when they go on about "exclusive food and drink offers". I think I can remember getting a 15% off voucher in the post once, but in the last three years that is about it.

25. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,487
    So does this price increase affect current members I joined in Jan paying £13.50 is mine going to increase? Just to add I love my card I've watched loads since getting it just wish they didn't charge extra for 3 D but tbh I've gone off 3D and will always choose 2D over it now if possible

26. djphatic

djphatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Beats my record of 0 offers. They should just let you show your card when paying for drinks/food and get 10-20% off.

27. djphatic

djphatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I think because you joined in January (if you mean this year) you will pay £13.50 for 12 months from the date you joined and then it will go up to £14.99.

Having read the e-mail again fully they have gave me 30 days notice of the increase and change in terms of conditions and I have the option to cancel.

If they issued this whilst still in the 12 month contracted period I believe you would have the option to cancel the contract early due to a change in T&Cs. Though I could be wrong.

If you haven't served you with a notice then the price should not be increasing for you. I believe I received this notice by both e-mail and post.

28. Basil Plumley

Basil Plumley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    Love my card - we have daddy daughter Orange Wednesdays a couple of times a month where we both get an Orange Wednesday and see 2 films...so that's 4 films for the price of 2 Orange Wednesday texts (plus my £13.50 obviously) - but I tend to go a couple of times a month on my own as well as I'm a shift worker - next week I've got four films lined up - 2 on my own and 2 with my daughter - 6 tickets at our local Cineworld would cost me £45 so they are defo worth it.
    Plus the cinema itself is well worth visiting as well - the main screen is THX approved and digital and they also have at least 3 other screens of the same quality out of 15 in total.
    The leg room is very generouse in all screens and if you go during the day like I tend to, it's chavless so therefore rather a nice cinema experience - for a change.

29. The_kUrGaN

The_kUrGaN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm guessing that as they are changing their terms & conditions from 15th April 2011, that this is the general price increase date and you will feel the effect of this on your first payment date following this. If paying yearly you can renew 6 weeks before which means the earliest I can renew will be from 15th April as my card expires 28th May. Looks like I can't avoid the increase :-(

30. mudstuff

mudstuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I think I'll knock mine on the head as I also never get any offers and don't go as much anymore so don't really get major value. Plus cineworld (also MK) is usually rubbish with poor staff, people kicking the back of my chair etc.

What I normally do is have a catch up day on a sunday and squeeze in 3-4 films (when there's lots on) but I tried to do this the other day and was told I have to queue individually for each film and can no longer get all the tickets at the same time! Granted there may be some people that don't attend all the films they book but cineworld card holders are still paying customers.

Such a card is normally known as a loyalty or bonus card but I really fail to see what you get for your money. All they show is mainstream despite sporadically advertising film festivals in their magazine, they never show in MK (they also happened to show Mesrine Part 1 and didn't show part 2 which was released 2 weeks later - I had to wait 6 months for the Bluray!). They also have way too much 3D on which I don't like and my partner can't see so have to miss some films altogether due to only being shown in 3D, having the 2D showings only in the day or impacting on the frequency and schedule of showtimes of other films.

One thing I've also always found stupid and a missed trick is not being able to use the machines or book over the web or phone (an Android or Apple app would be good too!). I would happily pay a £1 booking fee to pre-book over the phone and have it added to the direct debit.

I go less these days (due to all the above reasons) so would rather cancel and use the machines or phone to avoid queues combined with some free previews via See Film First than pay more each month to cineworld.

It's a shame that my other local is an Odeon which is also rubbish IMO, much prefer Vue which I used to go to in Star City or Newcastle-Under-Lyme whilst at Uni.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.