Cineworld Superscreen Review

crabby09

Hey peeps,

Not sure if this is the right section for cinema reviews? For sure it's something I am finding myself seeking out more now that lockdowns are easing! If I am shelling out I want the experience to be as good as possible!

With that said, I took the family to see Sing 2 at the Newport Spytty Park Cineworld. We watched on screen 7 - Superscreen in seats G10 - G14.

They are currently doing COVID passes and because of where they have set up the screening at the front door and the fact people are not prepared means there is some unfortunate queuing. Staff are very friendly and articulate. Once in the foyer, it is spacious and we never felt crowded. Toilets (both mens and womens) were in very good order.

The theatre itself was very clean. The chairs are a padded red leather(ette?) with a slight auto recline. The seats are very comfortable, but the backs are quite high so we found all our kids (up to age 10) preferred a booster so they could see the whole of the screen. There were plenty readily available and nice and clean as well - weirdly they do 2 colours... Not sure why boosters need to be gendered?

Dolby Atmos works very nicely - though I did find the fronts slightly too loud. LFE was fantastic. No major complaints at all here.

The screen was the major let down for me! I believe its an audio acoustic material, so not sure if that was why but I was able to discern a vertical pattern through the presentation... Lines every 8 inches or so running top to bottom. Not only that but there was quite a distinct rainbowing of colours, especially whites - which I can only assume was me being able to pick out the mesh?

Finally, the film itself was presented in 16:9 I think rather than the full 21:9 format of the screen - wouldn't be too much of a bother, but they do not shield the unused part of the screen.

Tbh, overall I am still pretty happy with the experience. Technical limitations of the screen aside, I very much enjoyed being back in the Cinema with my family! Going to try out some other screens in the local area but will definitely be back here because the staff were great!

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom