Question Cineworld Superscreen or BFI IMAX for Rise Of Skywalker?

PenguinSpaceman

Novice Member
Reaction score
Would It be worth seeing The Rise of Skywalker at BFI IMAX or at a Cineworld Superscreen down In Cardiff? About all I could find was that BFI had the largest IMAX screen in the UK and the Superscreen theatres shoot on dual 4K projectors. The triple bill down at the Dolby Cinema in Leicester Square sounds like a good time too, but I heard that the movie would be letterboxed because of the aspect ratio.

I did catch Endgame at the IMAX for my first time their and thought It was well worth the money. Compared to the Cineworld, the audience was more excited- though that could've been because I caught a 00:00 screening - and the wider image for a couple of the scenes was really beneficial. However, I'm not sure what the pros and cons of either screens in detail are for TROF and whether it would be worth it this time round.

Depends what your objective is...

The whole BFI IMAX being the largest screen is rather antiquated and confusing.

Its the biggest screen in the UK but only when showing 70mm analogue Imax films.
Most of the time it is just using a 1080p projector

For "general" 2.35:1 and 1.85:1 films, Cineworld's Empire IMAX 4k with laser screen in Leicester square is wider

Remember most most Imax films these days are digital so in a 1.90:1 aspect ratio which is again bigger on the Empire screen than the BFI.

That all said The Rise of Skywalker may well have some analogue Imax 'scenes' like 'The Force Awakens.'

IF it does AND the BFI get an analogue print then its a great choice of venue to enjoy them.

If its a digital screening you're actually getting a comparatively low resolution and dull presentation these days.

Depends what your objective is...

The whole BFI IMAX being the largest screen is rather antiquated and confusing.

Its the biggest screen in the UK but only when showing 70mm analogue Imax films.
Most of the time it is just using a 1080p projector

For "general" 2.35:1 and 1.85:1 films, Cineworld's Empire IMAX 4k with laser screen in Leicester square is wider

Remember most most Imax films these days are digital so in a 1.90:1 aspect ratio which is again bigger on the Empire screen than the BFI.

That all said The Rise of Skywalker may well have some analogue Imax 'scenes' like 'The Force Awakens.'

IF it does AND the BFI get an analogue print then its a great choice of venue to enjoy them.

If its a digital screening you're actually getting a comparatively low resolution and dull presentation these days.
Ah alright. Thanks for the insight. I'll probably opt for the Empire screening then.

I see Cineworld are doing a 4DX showing I think I’ll go once the crowds die down as I’ve already booked odeon 3D midnight.

Ah alright. Thanks for the insight. I'll probably opt for the Empire screening then.

I don’t know if it’s any easier a journey from Cardiff than London but FWIW the new IMAX with Laser that recently opened at Plymouth Cineworld has a larger screen than that at Leicester Square...

1573003590639.jpeg

And I see that Birmingham Broadway Plaza are taking advanced bookings in their (soon to be opened) Dolby Cinema which will almost certainly have a bigger screen plus have cheaper tickets than Leicester Square Odeon...

1573003870185.jpeg

Has anyone been to the Superscreen at Cineworld Leicester Square; I already have tickets for the Laser IMAX there for first Saturday.

Looking for another screening...

Sadly, nothing like that in sleepy Redditch, booked for VUE on first Saturday.
Screen 6 , one of the smallest at the venue.

Sadly, nothing like that in sleepy Redditch, booked for VUE on first Saturday.
Screen 6 , one of the smallest at the venue.
Well should you fancy an encore in a bigger screen, I gather from Google Maps that the state-of-the-art Dolby Cinema at Broadway Plaza is only 14 miles up the A441...

Well should you fancy an encore in a bigger screen, I gather from Google Maps that the state-of-the-art Dolby Cinema at Broadway Plaza is only 14 miles up the A441...

I will bear that in mind if we decide the movie is worth a 2nd viewing. Cheers for the info.
The thing that suits me and my son is we're home in 5 mins after walking out of the pics.

I've already booked 3D IMAX @ Cineworld, NEC. However, I'm seriously tempted to cancel and rebook at Dolby Theatre screen @ Odeon Luxe in Birmingham - audiovisually superb when I watched Le Mans... but Star Wars is totally different - space fantasy.... decisions, decisions.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom