Cineworld pre-film ads getting silly

At Cineworld if you can manage to go to the first showing on the first day of a film theybonly show trailers it's usually the 10/11am showing

At Cineworld if you can manage to go to the first showing on the first day of a film theybonly show trailers it's usually the 10/11am showing

That's against company policy and they definitely shouldn't be doing that, so keep quiet about it before someone in the know finds out and makes them show the proper pre-show like they should be! :D

That would explain why my 10am showing of Planet of the Apes had next to nothing.

Inbetweeners today - 25 mins of rubbish.

Went to the 1220 screening of Cowboys and Aliens at Cineworld Shaw Ridge Swindon yesterday and still had to sit through 35 minutes of fluff before the movie, including yet again "La Potiche". Can our friend from the cinema industry posting in this thread please feed back to management that the novelty has worn off and it's time for something new!

At least this time round the trailers were more geared to the main feature and not silly rom-coms!

Its been fed back many times that the Orange adverts are rubbish, but Orange pay good money for them so as far as the cinema chains are concerned, that's all that matters.
If it were up to me those Orange ads wouldn't even play (along with 99% of the rest of the pre-show) and all we'd have on screen before a film would be a few appropriate trailers. Not gonna happen though, I'm afraid.

I went to Cineworld on Wednesday to watch the Inbetweeners and there were no adverts at all just a few film trailers, I went again today to watch the same film and there were 35 mins of adverts and rubbish!

I generally always turn up at least 20 minutes late knowing that it'll skip most of the rubbish.

In the mornings the adverts are almost none or just very short, probably because companies don't see point in wasting £500 on advertising for an empty screen. I've noticed several films lately in the mornings that tend to have no adverts but just film trailers before the actual showing.

I wish the cinemas would do a poll and ask if the adverts influence us and are useful, so we can all vote NO

We pay to watch films, cinemas should charge less if they are upping the quota of adverts before films

Where the cartoons before films like they used too

I went to Cineworld on Wednesday to watch the Inbetweeners and there were no adverts at all just a few film trailers, I went again today to watch the same film and there were 35 mins of adverts and rubbish!

The reason there were no adverts on the Wednesday is because the film was on a mid-week release.
Basically, cinemas run on a Friday to Thursday week and the adverts are allocated to the film from a Friday. If a film comes out in the middle of the week it won't have adverts in it until the Friday when the new instructions are given for the new week.

In the mornings the adverts are almost none or just very short, probably because companies don't see point in wasting £500 on advertising for an empty screen. I've noticed several films lately in the mornings that tend to have no adverts but just film trailers before the actual showing.

Its nothing to do with how many people are in the screen, its all done by the number of showings and the potential size of the film. These companies would rather pay a small amount more to run to an empty screen than pay a lot more because its running to a packed screen later in the day.

I wish the cinemas would do a poll and ask if the adverts influence us and are useful, so we can all vote NO

We pay to watch films, cinemas should charge less if they are upping the quota of adverts before films

Where the cartoons before films like they used too

If you ask the cinemas they'll all say the same thing: If they don't have the adverts they'll have to charge a lot more for tickets.
How true this is, I don't know, but there is a lot of money involved in this.

If you want the best chance of getting to a showing with minimal adverts then try and go earlier in the day. Basically there is a set of adverts allocated to each screen that the cinema are instructed to play. These adverts will generally be 10-15 minutes long so with the trailers they'll make the pre-show around 25-30 minutes.
What can happen though is a cinema can set up their schedule so that there are 2 films playing on a screen in the same day. As there is only one main set of advert these will be put into whichever film plays the last show of the day in that screen. That means that the other film will run a generic advert set which is usually less than 5 minutes.
It is possible now that some cinemas will run their early shows without any adverts at all, but this is only at cinemas that are still running 35mm prints. As sites switch over to being completely digital it will mean that all showings will have adverts with them.

I can't cope with cinema these days. Shows are too long with all the adverts. I start to get cramp or numb-bum before the end, which spoils it as I can't concentrate on the movie. :(

If only they did special screenings without adverts, but charging a few quid extra to compensate.

Do cinemas offering a director's lounge also offer a more streamlined viewing experience or is that not part of the deal?

Bit of a necro-bump, but for those that are fed up with the Potiche Orange advert the good news is that the new one goes live on Friday. The bad news is that its crap. They've gone for a woman with microphone interviewing people in a cinema foyer this time and in my opinion its the worst one so far.

Bit of a necro-bump, but for those that are fed up with the Potiche Orange advert the good news is that the new one goes live on Friday. The bad news is that its crap. They've gone for a woman with microphone interviewing people in a cinema foyer this time and in my opinion its the worst one so far.

Is that the 1 with the 2 m&m characters.

Nope, the M&M character ones are called 'From The Red Carpet' and I think we're currently on version 26 (God, I need to get out more! :rotfl: ). The new Orange ad is a similar set up to that though.

I know its not going to happen (squeezing in more showings etc), but I wish for the longer films, they would bring back the half-time toilet break. I can quite happily go a full half day without a pee anywhere else, but sure enough once I sit down in the cinema, the meter starts running :rolleyes:. I wonder how many others sit there with their legs crossed for the last 20 mins of the film.

To link it to this thread, the adverts only make it longer.

When cineworld.com advertises a film with running time of 107 mins does this only cover the length of the film or does it also inc ads? For example, if a showing starts at 1:30pm and is advertised as running for 107 mins does this mean it will end at 3:17pm? Or should I add on another half an hour for the ads?

It's the length of the film.

I normally factor in around 25-30 minutes from the advertised start time to when the film actually starts.

Allenp is spot on.
It's the feature run time only and 25-30 minutes should be added to that for pre-show.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom