• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Cineworld might be closing their UK Cinemas

• Thread starter Deleted member 795353
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 795353

This Reuters Article is based on a story in the Sunday Times. Going by their recent history I don't know how seriously to take this, but it wouldn't be surprising.

aVdub

Banned
This Reuters Article is based on a story in the Sunday Times. Going by their recent history I don't know how seriously to take this, but it wouldn't be surprising.

That name was searched yesterday for booking to see Tenet, but the nearest Imax is not exactly close and Odeon was better for us.

Be a shame to see it go as one area we use is all built around the cinema, so it wouldn't just be that that could be affected.

D

Deleted member 795353

Odeon has improved but I wish I had discovered Cineworld earlier. Their central London cinema is easily the best overall in that area. Now they might close. Odeon might not be too far behind them either. Their parent company in the US was already in debt before Covid and recently they had to secure another round of debt relief.

Last edited by a moderator:

aVdub

Banned
With the loss of big budget movies which they rely on, there really doesn't seem to be many options, other than closure for them :(

DrH

My daughter works for Cineworld. They have been forcing staff to hand in their notice for any petty misdemeanour. They are a terrible employer. They won’t get my custom if and when a reopening happens

aVdub

Banned
Obviously cannot change the fact the studio's are not producing the big movies right now, but considering the price of £36 to go and see Tenet, I would be quite happy to pay a reasonable price direct and stream at home, which will probably have a similar amount of people watching as the cinema. Just without the risk.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
With streaming services and home theatre set ups there is less incentive to travel to the cinema, queue up, hope you get a good seat etc.

DrH

The IMAX I will miss most of all.
Big blockbusters on such a huge screen and excellent sound system takes some beating at home.

The writing is on the wall with Disney streaming Mulan for instance.
Where we will end up who knows?

D

Deleted member 795353

The writing is on the wall with Disney streaming Mulan for instance.
Where we will end up who knows?
The Disney experiment failed. Anecdotally, Trolls had a better outcome which then led to the failed Disney experiment. Odeon will be around for a little time because of the refinance. But with no new blockbuster films being released, that money will probably run out sooner than expected.

The Cineworld cinema whether it was IMAX or Superscreen was alway a great viewing experience. Very nice screens, excellent audio and being there with an audience made it worth it. The theatrical release precedes the home release so that was a major driver in going also.

My daughter works for Cineworld. They have been forcing staff to hand in their notice for any petty misdemeanour. They are a terrible employer.
It is sad to hear how they treated their staff. There are already news stories of people being sacked during the pandemic by recorded message.

I would be quite happy to pay a reasonable price direct and stream at home, which will probably have a similar amount of people watching as the cinema. Just without the risk.
I can see a time where that theatrical window is gone. it's already beginning to happen. On top of that, once a new generation of VR arrives with much lighter headsets, that will be out the window too. I can already watch films on an IMAX sized screen and my home cinema setup is basic, but still sounds better than most local cinemas. Another VR app called Bigscreen allows you to watch virtually with others so that can somewhat replicate the experience of seeing it live. Not forgetting the ability for a family to sit at home and watch together.

richp007

Distinguished Member
No disrespect Coulson, but do we really need another thread discussing Cineworld - and in GC too? Already got one in the movie section (which also isn't politics so no-one needs bleach and a wire brush for when they leave), and the movie section is surely where discussion about it should be anyway.

D

Deleted member 795353

No disrespect Coulson, but do we really need another thread discussing Cineworld - and in GC too? Already got one in the movie section (which also isn't politics so no-one needs bleach and a wire brush for when they leave), and the movie section is surely where discussion about it should be anyway.
The news came out yesterday. I didn't know about the one in movies but even so, this is ultimately about a business closing, employment, Covid as well as movies. There is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be here. If on the other hand, you are saying that the movies one came out significantly before mine and because of that has already gained traction then we can end this here.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Coulson has a good point.

richp007

Distinguished Member
The news came out yesterday. I didn't know about the one in movies but even so, this is ultimately about a business closing, employment, Covid as well as movies. There is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be here. If on the other hand, you are saying that the movies one came out significantly before mine and because of that has already gained traction then we can end this here.

There's a thread that has several pages from Cineworld closing back in March. And the conversation has continued on in that one. That was what I was trying to highlight.

It would just seem common sense for me that any chat about a movie theatre would be in the movie section. Including any chat that goes with that.

richp007

Distinguished Member
I believe a left click on forum list, and then a left click on the Movie section is all the magic that is required :D

I'm interested and happy hearing all thoughts on Cineworld, but would just prefer if it is was in one place. Upto the mods to decide anyway, but as per a previous thread on here I seem to recall about this very sort of thing, GC just kinda gets things put in it when they could/should be elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 795353

I believe a left click on forum list, and then a left click on the Movie section is all the magic that is required :D

I'm interested and happy hearing all thoughts on Cineworld, but would just prefer if it is was in one place. Upto the mods to decide anyway, but as per a previous thread on here I seem to recall about this very sort of thing, GC just kinda gets things put in it when they could/should be elsewhere.
I have no issues with what the Mods decide to do in this case. Especially if the other thread has been going on for a while. But it looks like the thread was originally opened in June for the opening of Cineworld. So it's basically a repurposed thread, whereas this is specifically for the closure. Plus as I said, this is bigger than just movies.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Spoilsport!

Foster

Distinguished Member
Well it's shut from Friday, sad times, I love the cinema (have an unlimited card) but there has been nothing on so its no surprise they are having to put the business into hibernation.

aVdub

Banned
Well we've actually got 2 now in the Movie Section so choose wisely.... :laugh:

So move it to another board, but there are 2 similar threads already in the board.

Sounds simple or use the little box to the side to find similar threads ;)

2.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom