Cineworld IMAX, 4DX and Superscreen

Ralphy1981

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Recently joined the Cineworld Unlimited club and must say it's excellent value. £16.90 a month, 25% off at Frankie & Bennys, Pizza Hut and Chiqutos too. I recently tried the 4DX cinema out in Milton Keynes and found it excellent fun. Seats move, wind howls, water everything.

Tomorrow I'm going to experience IMAX for the first time in Cheltenham. My question is, is 'Superscreen' any different to IMAX?

I've not visited Milton Keynes Cineworld since they upgraded Screen 10 and rebranded it as a Superscreen (I live closer to the IMAX Odeon at MK1 and go there instead) so I'm intrigued to hear how the competing "giant screen" brands compared...

FWIW, the retrofitted IMAX screen at Cheltenham is one of the smaller installations in the UK and (according to ECHO COMMENT: Cheltenham leading the way as IMAX comes to town) measures just 90m²

B11P5NpIMAAqaDx.jpg:small

Which, although I can't find any dimensions, looks around the same as MK' Superscreen...

B8JCkH3IgAMAOlx.jpg:small

However, that figure is under half the stated size of the purpose built IMAX at ODEON Milton Keynes Stadium which comes in at 191m²

And less than a fifth the acreage of ODEON BFI IMAX, that weighs in at a colossal 520m²

BADA9258-0CF8-4F43-9ABE-6C5C171B1997.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments. I enjoyed The Revenant yesterday at Cheltenham, my first IMAX experience. I'm in MK tomorrow so tempted to check out the Odeon by the Stadium MK. Trouble is, I've already seen Star Wars and the Revenant!

Ralphy, enjoy your cineworld unlimited, it is absolutely is brilliant value and whatsmore, from your second year onwards, everything from the foyer will also have a 25% discount too (first year is 10% discount).

afaik superscreen is as big a screen as they can fit without rebuilding for imax but has atmos (which imax doesn't) there are a few odeon "superscreens" too but they call them isense

afaik superscreen is as big a screen as they can fit without rebuilding for imax but has atmos (which imax doesn't) there are a few odeon "superscreens" too but they call them isense
Fwiw, the Superscreen at Glasgow Cineworld weighs in at 281m² (22.5m X 12.5m) which is a lot bigger than most of the Digital IMAX screens in multiplexes.

The new Milton Keynes Odeon was designed with an IMAX in mind but that screen is still a relatively modest 191m² (18.5m X 10.3m) and the 2 ISENSE screens are smaller than that.

I guess Cineworld didn't go IMAX at Silverburn as Glasgow Science Centre is only a few miles away and London appears to be the only British city which has enough fans of the big screen to warrant more than a solitary IMAX.

See inside Scotland's newest cinema with Superscreen the size of a five a side football pitch - Daily Record

CIS93uYWsAAUQm1.jpg

0C561934-9EF1-4731-948C-9D831BD8DCE6.png

Last edited:
@DodgeTheViper you been to the new Broughton Imax yet?

Definitely gonna have to watch the new Star Wars there in December.

That picture doens't show the Manchester IMAX, i think its the 3rd before Sheffield.

Last edited:
How do you find out the imax screen sizes by location? Is there a database somewhere?

I was deliberating whether to go to Sheffield for imax laser or Castleford for imax digital this xmas with my family (same travelling time mostly), and ended up settling on Sheffield just to try laser. Do you know the Castleford screen size for comparison?

How do you find out the imax screen sizes by location? Is there a database somewhere?

I was deliberating whether to go to Sheffield for imax laser or Castleford for imax digital this xmas with my family (same travelling time mostly), and ended up settling on Sheffield just to try laser. Do you know the Castleford screen size for comparison?
Odeon list their IMAX screen sizes under the "Auditorium Info" tab of each multiplex but Cineworld don't tend to do so AFAIK.

Sheffield is one of Cineworld's flagship sites and (if travelling times are similar for you) then 4K Laser with 12.0 surround sound would seem preferable to 2K Digital with 6.0 surround.

Perhaps someone on AVF who's visited Castleford IMAX can comment upon its quality but judging by this photo it's one of the smaller retrofits...

Have you tried IMAX? If not then why... - Cineworld Castleford | Facebook
11129752_347548578772744_8156150370903277389_n.jpg

Last edited:
I am tempted to go see The Rogue tomorrow at MK stadium in one of the screens which has Atmos speakers in, although I don't think the screens as that big. Is it worth it over Imax which I do not think have Atmos in?

I read that on trip advisor of all places about the 4dx screen in MK being tiny compared to others.
Tempted to go tomorrow but not sure about being kicked in the back etc lol

Odeon list their IMAX screen sizes under the "Auditorium Info" tab of each multiplex but Cineworld don't tend to do so AFAIK.

Cineworld sometimes respond if you email their customer services. I was curious about the Edinburgh Cineworld "lie-max" and it's a piddly 59ft x 36ft (not sure if you want to make a note of that for your personal database).

59ft x 36ft or 18m x 11m or 2124 sq ft or 197 sq m.

I am tempted to go see The Rogue tomorrow at MK stadium in one of the screens which has Atmos speakers in, although I don't think the screens as that big. Is it worth it over Imax which I do not think have Atmos in?

Personally, whenever I've had that choice at MK Odeon, I've invariably opted to pay £5 uplift for IMAX Digital over paying £1.50 for the ISENSE.

As whilst the 42.3 Dolby Atmos surround can feel slightly more immersive than the 6.0 sound in the neighbouring IMAX, the significantly larger screen in the latter makes the extra outlay worthwhile IMHO.

Sheffield is one of Cineworld's flagship sites and (if travelling times are similar for you) then 4K Laser with 12.0 surround sound would seem preferable to 2K Digital with 6.0 surround.

Perhaps someone on AVF who's visited Castleford IMAX can comment upon its quality but judging by this photo it's one of the smaller retrofits...

Thanks so much! All of your posts on here and info-graphics are way more useful than anything else I could find through Google.

For those of you with an Unlimited card in the Herts and Bucks region, might interest you to know that the Cineworld megaplex in Hemel Hempstead has a new Superscreen...

95B396AC-1FA9-4E76-B49B-03A85755CAEC.jpeg

Rather larger and swisher than the old Superscreen up the M1 motorway at Milton Keynes imho...

B8JCkH3IgAMAOlx.jpg:large

Last edited:
For those of you with an Unlimited card in the Herts and Bucks region, might interest you to know that the Cineworld megaplex in Hemel Hempstead has a new Superscreen...

20170528_171613_zpsifxme7vz.jpg

Rather larger and swisher than the old Superscreen up the M1 motorway at Milton Keynes imho...

How big is the screen ?

How big is the screen ?

There's no dimensions listed online that I can find but it's much bigger than any of the regular screens.

However it's probably not much more than half the size of the neighbouring IMAX, which officially weighs in 18.3 x 10 metres; although the Superscreen is half the uplift, £2.25 vs £4.50 on Unlimited.

E8C1249F-2836-448C-8121-C7C2B37BBAD0.jpeg

Last edited:
There's no dimensions listed online that I can find but it's much bigger than any of the regular screens.

However it's probably not much more than half the size of the neighbouring IMAX, which officially weighs in 18.3 x 10 metres; although the Superscreen is half the uplift, £2.25 vs £4.50 on Unlimited.

20170529_110444_zps3xrf8nbk.jpg

20170529_110444_zps3xrf8nbk.jpg

20170528_171613_zpsifxme7vz.jpg

Am still awaiting news/information on the new Cineworld opening in Watford. Can still only find basic info, 9 screen, 1 being IMAX,coming in 2017.

Hopefully as it's a brand new building, it could be their flagship complex in this area. IMAX & Superscreen & Atmos would be great!

Sent them an email asking a date. They just replied saying it's still being built. Despite saying 2017 initially, it won't be this year now?!? The Intu extension is going up fast, so wonder what that delay is?

Oh well, Vue will retain the customers for an extra few months.

Sent them an email asking a date. They just replied saying it's still being built. Despite saying 2017 initially, it won't be this year now?!? The Intu extension is going up fast, so wonder what that delay is?

Oh well, Vue will retain the customers for an extra few months.

FWIW, the seating capacity of that IMAX auditorium is meant to be 450 according to...

Charter Place - Leslie Jones Architecture

Which suggests that the screen will be a decent size; considering the IMAX at Hemel Hempstead Cineworld seats 281 and measures 18.3m x 10m whilst Cineworld’s new IMAX in Leeds seats 370 and measures 24m x 14m.

And I see in this week’s Observer that the opening of Charter Place has been put back to 2019...

‘Topping out’ ceremony marks latest progress of multi-million pound development at shopping centre | Watford Observer

So hopefully that delay will make it more likely that it will be kitted out with the newer 4K IMAX Laser projectors at least.

23658918_379279949177736_2181536192653462626_n.jpg

C5080F47-7E7E-4378-8D98-8488CA35EE11.jpeg

Cineworld Leeds has landed! We are now open, here is a few photos from our opening event.

Last edited:
My closest Cineworld is being renovated at the moment so a lot of screens are out of bounds, however when going Cineworld (Used to be Empire Cinemas) this is my preference for their screens (1 being best 7 being the worst).

1) IMAX (liemax) 2D
2) Superscreen (Haven't been there since Empire got taken over by Cineworld but this used to be my favourite screen when Empire had it running, bigger screen, quality sound.)
3) IMAX (liemax) 3D (Not a fan of 3D really.)
4) Their biggest normal screen
5) Any standard screen (A number of those which are smaller.)
6) Studio Screen (Much smaller screens that sit around 30 people.)
7) 4DX

Cineworld at the Gate, Newcastle upon Tyne (formally a Odeon then an Empire cinema) is getting a 4DX screen in December - 20th I think

My closest Cineworld is being renovated at the moment so a lot of screens are out of bounds, however when going Cineworld (Used to be Empire Cinemas) this is my preference for their screens (1 being best 7 being the worst).

1) IMAX (liemax) 2D
2) Superscreen (Haven't been there since Empire got taken over by Cineworld but this used to be my favourite screen when Empire had it running, bigger screen, quality sound.)
3) IMAX (liemax) 3D (Not a fan of 3D really.)
4) Their biggest normal screen
5) Any standard screen (A number of those which are smaller.)
6) Studio Screen (Much smaller screens that sit around 30 people.)
7) 4DX

My local Cineworld in Hemel Hempstead was also an Empire but they finally completed the renovations a few months back.

I don’t mind 3D when it’s in IMAX, so I invariably choose to watch blockbusters in the LieMAX; as it not only has by far the biggest screen but comfy leather seating throughout too.

The Superscreen is a decent size at Hemel with a great Dolby Atmos system (compared to the little old one up in Milton Keynes) but as most DCPs are merely 2K nowadays anyway (The resolution war: is cinema falling behind home entertainment on innovation?) the enormity of the screen just makes the screen-door effect more apparent.

However the dual 4K projectors there do a better job of upscaling than the old 2K ones in the huge 600 seat Screen 12 down the road at High Wycombe Cineworld at least; movies probably would’ve looked great there in 35mm but 2K on a screen this size is like SD on a 65” o_O

Although it’s got Box Seating right at the back of the auditorium, so perhaps from those booths I wouldn’t notice!

FC9D9D35-E0F8-4869-8704-29B7DD11D4E5.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom