1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cinepro are back, and properly back!!

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by gizlaroc, Feb 9, 2005.

1. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +644
    Mike Powell of Verastarr, has got a new line of Cinepro products out, 2 processors, some power conditioners and voltage regulators and most important of all a new line of amps. These are all bulit in the original factory using the original designs, but now using uprated parts for an even lower noise floor, and even greater soundstage than the originals!!

Cinepro was established at the start of the 80's and ceased trading after the death of Eric Abraham (Cinepro’s originator). If you read what alot of the US reviewers use in their home cinema and hifi set ups Cinepro crops up time after time.
    They also sell direct, so there is no margain being taken by a distributer and again nothing being taken by the retailer, so the prices are very, very good.

The products that will probably interest us lot are.........

edit: doh!

Their Website

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gizlaroc - Wow they are massive power Rateings 425w x 8 into 8ohms :eek: i bet they sound awsome.

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +644
    Bridge the front 3 channels for 1200w into 8ohms and 1500w into 4 ohms.

I have a 3K6II and have never found anything worth upgrading to, until now!!

I love mine, I was using a Parasound 2205 and wasn't expecting much differnce really, but how very wrong I was, probably the best single upgrade I have ever made.

It is very neutral, extremely detailed and a massive soundstage.
    Oh and they can go loud, like, really loud. 15db above reference and it still does not sound strained or edgy!!
    Playing music at normal levels is just something else, there is so much headroom the whole soundstage still makes me grin.

The only thing I would say is that the cinepro does not exaggerate the bass like a lot of amps do, this may or may not please some people. I use a sub for everything below 50Hz anyway so I don't notice it, but if you have main speakers that do bass below 30Hz some people may prefer the amp to give a little more at the bottom. But that is more so in the states where they have bigger rooms and not the thicker brick construction we tend to have.

I am so tempted to sell mine and buy one of these new ones. Oh I wish I hadn't seen them. :rolleyes:

4. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here in the States, we could use more houses with thicker brick construction. So many of the homes they build these days, are just cookie-cutter, modular homes. It's embarrasing and absurd.

These houses are like kindling wood. One little flame......and your whole house goes up like a book of matches. So very dangerous.

Forget about trying to retain heat in the winter and cool air in the heat of the summer. Just a waste of energy resources.

Building a quality home out of anything other than 2x4, compressed wood panels and sheetrock, is a lost art here in the States.

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +644
    But more important than that, it makes it damned hard to control the bass in your hometheater!! ;) :D

6. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes...yes....of course. All things into proper perspective :D :D

7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I was asking my self who need 225/channel but thats rediculose. You'll need 27ich drivers and treacle air surely, at least with respect to home theatre.

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +644
    But that isn't the point, how much better does your amp sound at -25db at night compared with -0db?
    Same thing with the cinepro, thing is it isn't even breaking a sweat at reference level, sure it is loud and will scare you when you hear a gunshot or similar, but you will never say "turn it down a bit, it sounds shrill".

Same with a car, you can drive a 900cc fiat panda at 100mph but you know you are doing 100mph, and after a few miles you feel a little battered. Drive that same strech of road in a Mercedes S class at the same speed and it just feels like a relaxing cruise, because in that car it is, sure it will go at 155mph no problem but it is how it performs at every day levels thats really important and what you pay for.

9. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    I have no direct experience of Cinepro but just looking at the basic specs posted above, the prices on the amps (in US terms) don’t really represent awesome value given they are direct sell.

The bigger Cinepro amps may be in a league of their own in terms of power rating but lower down the range for example the 225W version is $3,800. The Parasound A51 retails at $4,000 and is rated at 250rms per channel (with one less channel though). Given the A51 is dealer sold you can get a large chunk off that amount -I have seen prices at just over the $3,000 mark. I have no idea which one sounds better but where is the value to US consumers in the Cinepro direct sell ? More expensive and no local dealer back up. I am sure other dealer sold US brands will be cheaper still.

The bigger amps however do seem to offer awesome value.

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I don't think that's the case at all....there have been several instances where people have looked at the power necessary to cope with transients,e.g.concert piano or similar,and the figures can easily run to hundreds of watts over short periods.

My own experience has been that as the power available,and power handling of my system has improved,so has the dynamic range,and whilst I may not run the system hard,it never runs out of power or sounds strained,especially when the volume does go up.

My last system delivered over 400W per channel,and currently,in an old house,runs to over 200W on the front channels.....doesnt have to be run loud,but copes nicely when required.

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +644
    Rags, the point is these are not really competeing with the Parasound amps and similar, they are trying to compete with the better Brystons, Meridians, Chords, Krells, BATs, Plinius etc.
    It will be nice to see how the Cinepro do this time round, as being aimed more at the pro enviroment didn't help them much originally, one reviewer said that although the Cinepro sounded better than his Brystons he would not want to put an amp from a company that originally aimed at the Pro market in his system. Hmmm, so Bryston weren't aiming at the Pro market then?

It is like the A52 vs the Rotel 1095, both similar prices, the 1095 has 200wpc vs 125wpc, but still the Parasound sounds a lot better. Power helps yeah, but it is about so much more than that.

12. Toyboy

Toyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +644
    They purchased all the remaining stock and are tweaking remarketing it.
    If they are doing anything different to this then maybe they will say so but this is what is being said and they have not said anything.

It is a shame that they have gone about it the way they have really, if they had come out and said "look we are going to take Eric's original products and tweak them to insane levels, it will cost you a little more but if you want what could be one of the best amps ever built .... Here it is!!" then they would have probably got a lot more respect.

There is no doubt what they have and what they are selling is a superb product, but they are passing themselves off as Cinepro, which they are not.

That is the reason I put in the title "Cinepro are back, and properly back!!"

14. Toyboy

Toyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking into Cinepro, and was planning to buy one, until I got long e-mails from the CEO's of both these Companies, slagging each other off. I don't really want to hang out their dirty washing on this forum (But I will consider PM requests).

15. 008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ive owned a Cinepro 3k6 mk111 for about a year now. I upgraded from 3x Quad professional stereo amps. I listened to most of the high end amps when I took the plunge and that included Meridian, Krell etc. To my ears the Cinepro delivered the most clean presentation af all the amps especially at high volume levels and its handling of huge transients was outstanding, I thought of selling it last year due to the company folding and lack of support in case of failure but im glad I changed my mind. Anyone thinking of buying one of these babies will NOT be dissappointed.
    You will never need to upgrade your amp again !
    I wish Cinepro good luck with their venture.

16. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They look very nice, but I don't get 6 channels, 5 & 7 channels yes but 6! How many passive subs are there out there?

John

17. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +644
    6 channels.

Eric Abraham started as a tube amplifier designer (and manufacturer I believe) and wanted to produce a stereo amp that would have the detail and the smoothness of a tube amp, but be able to drive some of the difficult speakers that were about.
    During his design he realised that his designs sounded better when the boards were in the same cabinet and on the same heatsink as each other rather than the trendy way of using monoblocks, obviously as the amps change temp they sound better/worse so it made sense to keep them together and on the same heatsink.
    His amps are all tuned for music as stereo amps. He beleives that once an amp has been tuned for Acoustic music the rest will be correct. So you basically always get a combination of stereo amplification within his amps.
    Before the whole EX thing started there where a couple of 5 channel amps, but even these were bridging the centre channel of a stereo pair to give you twice the power.

He was a guest on the AV science forums just before he saldy passed away, it is well worth having a read as it is very interesting .
    It can be found here

18. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Very interesting reading. So which one are you getting Giz? :D

19. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gizlaroc - How much are you willing to sell the 3.6 for?

20. TheAvalanche

TheAvalanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried emailing the new cinepro without joy and am curious why they only have digital mockups of the amps and no real pictures. Nor do they have any detailed specifications.

21. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Avalanche,

Did you ask if they do a 240v version cause a few 2.5 models would seem to be excellent value for the money compared to few brystons 14bsst which at the minute is what i'm thinking of

22. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I just got a same day reply from Mike Powell. They do 240V versions on request at no extra cost. For a 6.4SE, the waiting time is about 10 days from payment to shipping, which costs $225 including insurance.

23. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I wish I hadn't just read this thread :suicide: :devil:

24. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +644
    Don't really know if I want to let it go mate, I paid around £2200 for it, even if I got £2k for it I can't think what I would replace it with to make it worthwhile, I worked out that a new 6.3 would be around £3400+shipping, or a 6.4 around £4000+shipping, that includes vat and duty. But not sure if the 6.3 would be worth changing to.
    I think I would have to go for the 6.4 just to know it is an upgrade, but one slight problem, I don't have a spare £2500 laying around! :(

25. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I like the look of the 7.1 Pro processor but it only has RCA's - no balanced outputs, you have to get that huge thing with the screen for that! Has anyone seen any reviews or "actual pictures" of these items?

26. Toyboy

Toyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've ordered a Chord 3005, don't want to risk importing a Cinepro until the dust settles.

27. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toyboy - Beautiful piece of kit but there is quite a bit of difference on price the Chord costs £11,400 which is atleast double or treble the price of the Cinepro's.

28. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +644
    I think you may prefer the Chord anyway as they sound more bass heavy where as the Cinepro stuff is very neutral.

29. 008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Gizlaroc, just get another 3.6 and bridge the whole lot ;-) you know you want to !

30. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Right Im thinking of getting another Parasound A51 allowing me to biamp my new front three speakers (which are pretty power hungry) and use the other 4 channels for the rears.

The other option would be to go all out, sell the A51 I have and get one of the big Cinepro.

Does anyone have any recommendations ? Also have the "new" Cinepro started building this stuff - if so where are the pics ?