1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CineMax

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Steven, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Steven

Steven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello y'all,

I have heard good comments about the new CRT of Barco: CineMax.
    Can anybody give me some more information?

thanks!

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It's probably the best CRT in the world.<br />Barco set out to produce the sharpest projector ever and I think the achieved that.<br />You can get the brochure off the Barco.com website.<br />Before (B4) I left Barco I had a chance to play and took it on a number of demos. It will beat a Barco 1209 easy.

Be warned the projector is about £30k and you will need a Snell & Wilcox Interpolator to make it sing.

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I may have the honour of installing a couple of these with S&W Gold's before the year is out, should be fun if it happens.

I understood it was essentially a 'home' version of the 1209, albeit a revamped and updated one.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Steven,

You can see a CineMAX at Zebra in the Kings Rd. I'd suspect that if you buy one of these then Barco will come and set it up for you.

I would suggest though that the competence of the person setting it up will dictate the performance achievable rather than the device itself. I've seen stacked Barco1209 being "HUMPED" by cheaper, lower resolution devices.......I do not for one minute doubt the performance of the Cinemax though!!!! In fact I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Gordon

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: Gordon, Convergent-AV ]</p>

5. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steven - I hadn't responded earlier as I assume you are the same Steven that asked for info over on the SMR Forums, just in case you are not, and for others who may find it of interest, here's what I thought when Barco brought the unit in to us;

We had the Cinemax in for evaluation with a view to replacing our ageing 1209 - we set the two projectors up onto the same screen (approx 10' Horizontal 16x9 Harkness Hall Film screen)fed with an identical source (Proceed PMDT via SDI to Interpolator Gold to Cinemax via analogue RGBHV)

The first thing that was obvious was the brightness of the projector - there was a massive improvement over the 1209

Secondly, resolution - on the 1209 we run 1152x864 Progresive, and the scan lines are just visible with your nose on the screen (exactly how it should be) with the Cinemax we went to 1280x1024 with scan lines still just visible!

Colourimetry and linearity /gamma were exceptional.

The only downside was that the unit is totally transparent to poor sources - you will be selecting DVD's on their MPEG compression quality not just the content! - but this is the definition of 'Reference Quality'.

The Cinemax really shares little heritage with the old 1209, but appears a virtual ground up redesign with lessons learnt from the industrial 909 projector.

It is not a projector to install quickly! 81 convergence zones per colour takes a little time but promises much better stability over time compared to any other CRT. This also reinforces that you need to have it installed properly - the installation will make the difference between a mediocre picture and a stunning picture whatever the projector or scaler. Very few people currently have the experience or expertise to install this projector to the kind of standards it demands!

It does need to be partnered with a quality scaler - don't even bother with the optional built in LiMo (Line Multiplier) - I obviously advocate Interpolator Gold, but then I'm biased!

I hope this is of interest,

Richard Ansell<br />Snell & Wilcox

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Richard <br />I agree that Limo pro should not be considered as the main processor. But I still feel it should be on board because the projector cannot handle less than line doubled video (31Khz)<br />The softness of the Limo pro helps some poor sources.

Gordon<br />Absoloutly right. <br />A projector is only as good as the setup.

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: B4 ]</p>