Cinematrix PSM-2 News

Paul D

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Is this a DVD player or "Add-on" for a DVD player.
Where can i read up on this?
Thanks...

Hot off the press! PSM-2 demo samples will be available to dealers in January 2002 and available for purchase by the end of March.

Good news is that it will do 72/75hz as well as 100/120hz.

Yessss!

Paul

Hi Paul,
The answer is.....both! The Cinematrix in its present form (the PSM-1) is an upgrade to an existing DVD player which provides the player with a built-in scaler/de-interlacer. Imagine, a scaler BUILT-IN to the player!!! The PSM-2 is a newer more sophisticated version of the PSM-1. But... a stand alone version of the PSM-2 will be available some time after the upgrade version.

You really need to read up on this to understand it - 1 place for good info is the forum of one of the dealers/installers of the PSM-1/2 here; http://www.xsorbit.com/users/J.A.F._Doorhof/index.cgi?board=ITC - although you may need to register to see the threads. Also here; http://www.cinematrix.de/frameset.html which gives details of the PSM/1 mod itself direct from the manufacturers.

The thing about the mod is that a) its (arguably) as good as an HTPC and b) its fairly cheap, around £400. Its a steal given what it can do but early problems resulted in bad press which put people off.

I'm about to have my Pioneer 737 upgraded and as an ex -HTPC man I will be casting a very critical eye over it but having already done some fairly extensive homework on it, I am very reassured it wil do all its cracked up to be and more!

Have a read and see what you think,
Regards,
Paul

[ 20-10-2001: Message edited by: PaulB ]

Paul,
If you weren't on the other side of the world ;) I would ask you to come and have a look at my Psm-1.
It blows me away every day. Cant wait for the Psm-2.
Best Wishes
Eric
(Us North Londoners think Croydon is a different country :D )

Makes you wonder doesen't it.
How long has it been since 480p (progressive) players were introduced by the big boys?
After all this time, STILL cinematrix is the only variable scaling mod available for DVD players.
(Apart from the Princeton 5000 dvd player. Last I heard the prototype was seen tucked under Lord Lucans arm as he galloped off on Shergar)
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Eric

[ 20-10-2001: Message edited by: uncle eric ]

Eric,
You have no idea how much I would live to see a PSM-1 in the flesh!!! It was your goodself that first brought it to my (and others) attention over a year ago and its hard to believe that it hasn't received the recognition it truely deserves.

The fact that those who have seen it or have it compare it favourably to HTPC makes it low take up rate astonishing considering its how cheap it is. Like I said above, early bad press and a distinct lack of interest by the media (come on HCC!) meant low sales. Lets hope the PSM-2 upgrade (and the stand-alone scaler version) redress the balance somewhat.

Having dabbled in HTPC, I look forward to comparing the two directly (hopefully within the next 2 weeks if Frank Dorhoff gets his finger out!). Can't wait!

All the best,
Paul

If HCC mag want to do a test run and report on the Psm-1, come on down. I'm here.

Eric

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom