1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cinematrix PSM-1 purchase

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Boris Blank, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Just about to order up a Cinematix PSM-1 and Toshiba SD500. Couldn't wait any longer! Its really the PSM-2 that I'm after but as that won't be out for a couple of months I thought what the hell and started the ball rolling. The PSM-2 directly replaces the PSM-1 board in the player so having had the PSM-1 fitted, its a minimal cost to upgrade to the PSM-2.

As an ex. HTPC (radeon powered!) man, I'll be casting a very critical eye over its performance and I'll reveal the gory details in due course. I'm due to be attending Gordon's Event so if there isn't already a Cinematrix there and if Gordon is happy about it then, providing it arrives in time, I'll take it along.

Looks like Uncle Eric will finally have a friend!<br /> Regards,<br /> Paul

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: PaulB ]</p>

2. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    PaulB - are you getting the combo for the scaling ability or for the Progressive output?

Regards - PaulC

3. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    PaulC,<br />Both - the mod scales and produces a progressive output. I'm looking to run at 720p (or possibly a bit higher). ETA looks to be the end of August.<br />Regards,<br /> Paul

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone give me a web site address for cinematrix? I can not seem to find it.

Thanks,<br />Raymond

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where are you getting the Cinematrix from and how much is it? Have you seen many favourable reviews as the only real review of it I've seen wasn't very complimentary (check URL <a href="http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-progressive-shootout-12-2000.html)" target="_blank">http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-progressive-shootout-12-2000.html)</a> . Is there an upgraded version available that improves on the old version. It sounds like an interesting product if a little limited in that it's not possible to connect other sources to it eg Sky/Video etc like you can with eg the Iscan Pro.. <br />Anyway let us know how it goes, and if you can get it to the event for demo that would be great

Cheers<br />Andy

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    For Raymond:

<br /><a href="http://www.cinematrix.de/" target="_blank">http://www.cinematrix.de/</a>

7. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Hi Andy<br />The Home Theatre HiFi shootout was a bit misleading in that they were testing specific things rather than just watching a movie and seeing how well it looked - the testers said at the time that the shootout would likely generate more questions than answers and indeed that was exactly what happened! To read the results, you would think that the only devices capable of displaying a decent picture were the DVDO Iscan and the Camelot DVD player, a conclusion that was very, very far from accurate.

The Cinematrix mod they used was the US MSB version which seems to have been plagued with problems in its earliest incarnations - the Euro version has been more successful and has had far more success - what problems there are have ultimately proved to be player related rather than mod related.

Yes, I agree it is "limited" in what it does but it depends on what you want. For £400 I consider it a bargain! (note, total cost is £800 including the Toshiba DVD multi-region player so it works out at £400 for the mod). I really only watch DVD's so I'm not bothered sbout not being able to scale other sources - its movies I'm interested in rather than tele/sky etc. The only other possible thing I'd be interested in connecting to the projector will be an XBox but it will likely be able to scale itself so again its not really an issue.

If its here in time, I'll take it along to the Event - even if only to let folks see it in the flesh if not actually connected to a projector (I've been told it will be ready by the end of Aug so we'll see!).

Like I said above, this is really only the first step towards the PSM-2 which is what I'm really after but thats still an unknown quantity at this time.

I'm getting mine from a guy called Frank Doorhof who runs ITC Home Theatre in the Netherlands (there isn't a UK supplier), see here for details <a href="http://www.itccomp.nl/htwebf/ITCHT/index.htm" target="_blank">http://www.itccomp.nl/htwebf/ITCHT/index.htm</a> . There are a number of good reviews scattered around, you just have to be careful and try to see through whats actually being said - remember, these mods are being compared directly to high end scalers and comments like "I see combing therefore the mod is crap" mask the real fact that most scalers comb to some degree and that the mod actually does work very well, it just got some bad press which put people off. The vast majority compare it favourably with HTPC. Do a search on the AVScience forum and have a look at the reviews, they mostly centre around the combing issue which was player specific, remove the combing problems (which were all caused by the Sony 7700) and you have one nice little gadget! I''ll soon let you know if it turns out otherwise!<br />Regards,<br /> Paul

8. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,<br />Welcome to the brotherhood. I think you will be very happy with the performance this mod offers. The psm-1 even performs better with the Toshisba than on my 7700 so in fact it should look great.<br />Let me know when you get it. Perhaps we can have a shootout between the two.<br />Best Wishes<br />Eric

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reiner,

Thank you for the web site address.

Raymond

10. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Bugger! Just had to put it on hold as we've just bought our new house and its cost a bit more than we had really budgeted for. BUT, the good news is that I'll now have a dedicated cinema room!

I'm now going to wait for the PSM-2 to become available by which time I will have managed to scrap together the funds to buy it - I'm disappointed but the house must come first and besides, having a seperate cinema room is really quite a good exchange!<br />Regards,<br /> Paul

11. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can someone with one of these mods please tell me what sort of manual intervention is required?

I'm tempted to get my 7700 "done", but am a little concerned about needing to reach round the back to fiddle with that "dongle" to switch ratios etc. Everything is done via my Pronto now, so I don't want to start fiddling with DIP switches!

I think I heard that this could be done with the "wide" button the the 7700 remote. Only thing is, mine doesn't have that button!

Thanks in advance for any advice......,

Richard

12. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Richard,

The 'wide mode' button on your Sony 7700 remote, is at the top right, under the 'TV vol' and 'prog' buttons, or at least it should be.

Mark,

13. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

14. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've just been searching <a href="http://www.remotecentral.com" target="_blank">Remote Central</a> and haven't been able to find any 7700 CCFs with this button. If anyone has a 7700 and a pronto, I'd be very grateful if you could post the IR code string.

That aside, what does the Wide button do with the Cinematrix?

15. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Richard,

The remote with my 7700 is a RMT-D107P, it has the 'wide mode' button in the place you have a blank.

<br />Mark.

16. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard,<br />Dont worry about the 'doggle' switch at the back as you will seldom use it.<br />When I first put mine on the rack I experimented with 720p and 960p for use with my Barco 808s. After a week or so of playing around and experimenting I settled on 960p (for which I had to tweek the hell out of my projector to avoid overlap).<br />I haven't touched the switch in since.

Eric

17. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Eric,

Thanks very much.

Does this mean I don't need to worry about the "wide" remote button as well?

Cheers

18. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard,

Just to clear this up. The doggle switches are not used for aspect ratio. They allow choice of scaling rates and other adjustments.

I use a 1.78-1 (16x9) screen, therefore I have switched the default aspect ratio of the 7700 to 16x9. <br />There is no need to do anything else other than set up another memory for your projector for non-anamorphic dvd's (of which there are very few being produced these days anyway).

Best Wishes<br />Eric

19. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Now I get it! (Sorry for being a little slow...)

Cheers.