1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cinematrix mod for DVD players

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rob, Jan 29, 2001.

1. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Has anybody used this mod for thier player?
    apparently it costs around £400 and incorporates a scaler into your machine and does a good job, equivelent of a HTPC (or better) without the hassle. I would be interested in any experiences / info if anybody has one.

Cheers Rob

2. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Rob,
    For Sony 7700s only - I toyed with the idea of getting the mod but ended up getting a Pioneer 737.

On reflection I think the Cinematrix mod is more furture-proof (higher resolution, upgradeable) but to get the best out of it you need a capable projector. From reports of others comparing the Cinematrix picture to a normal progressive scan picture there's not much in it But Cinematrix can do PAL progressive and allows anamorphic displays from non-anamorphic discs as well as a few other tricks.

You'll need new RGB cables (5 of them) with BNC connectors as well (I think you can ask for phono connectors instead) which will up the price a bit.
    Paul

3. DaBuzz

DaBuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse my stupidness but how can you get anamorpic picture from an NON-anamorpic disc? If the lines dont exist in the first place how can you make the picture look as good as an anamorpic disc?

4. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    On lookig at the spec for the cinematrix, it would appear to be a reasonable way to go. However thier deinterlacing isn't the best. If there is a revised edition and includes the Sil503 chip it might be worth looking at. Yes the Sony 7700 seems to be a popular choice to use, although you can in theory use one of several compatable players (of a good standard). Apparently there is a bit of a chroma upsampling problem with this model. Again this maybee will be adressed in time. I think I will wait and see what happens.

Cheers. Rob

5. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    DaBuzz,
    I have no idea but it does work! I read a review that explained the (technical) process in great detail - I didn't fully understand it(!) but it does work and gives a good picture.

I agree with your comments - it doesn't make sense to me either. Gordon - any idea?
    Paul

6. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, it won't look as good as a proper anamorphic DVD. It simply up scales the verticle resolution so that the picture area of a letter box image will have the same number of scan lines as one that was originally anamorphic.

Scaling doesn't provide more detail but does provide more scan lines, there are many different types of scaling algorithms and the results vary considerably.

This is a useful feature, if done well, to help reduce scan line visibility on non-anamorphic letterbox DVDs and for compatibility with widescreen HDTVs that assume all progressive inputs are anamorphic. The cinematrix can also do 21:9 anamorphic as well, but this would only be of use with large tubed very high res projectors, i.e. those that could scan 576 lines in the 2.35:1 area of their CRT tubes.

7. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ludae,

When you say larged tube, would 8" be large enough? (Barcographics 808 ,110-115 Khz horizontal scan freq I think)

Regards Rob

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    You'd definately notice the difference between letterboxed and anamorphised etterbox with that unit.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

9. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I should think so as it can easily render 1024 lines. However, many CRT projectors can be made to do a 16:9 anamorphic verticle geometry correction but how many could realistically do 21:9?