1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cinematrix for Tosh 9000

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nic Rhodes, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Two simple questions

Does anyone do the Cinematrix mod in the UK?

Does anyone know whether it is suitable for a Toshiba 9000. I have emailed Cinematrix ages ago but got no reply. Slightly disappointed by that.

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
  3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Nic,

Marata Vision were looking in to doing the Cinematrix stuff. You may want to give them a call.

Gordon

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Thanks guys. I will give Marta Vision a ring in the morning. My SD 9000 isn't listed in any of the players whether under do'able, under investigation or no way categories. I know the Tag is a no no and don't want anyone one but Tag modifying that anyway. (Sevenoaks did tell me that they could do SDI for the Tag, told them they were speaking crap, I don't think they liked that, Idiots).:D

I guess I will have to go poking around the chip set again.

I wondered whether there was a Tosh 9000 PSM1 owner out there. I think Uncle Eric has a 7700 and I believe there were one or two other users, perhaps up in Glasgow near you Gordon (I bet they have NEC 6/9PGs as well:D )

Still like the idea of the PSM1 and Christmas is coming up.;)

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Can't do, too many technical problems...:(

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Nic,

Aren't you better off getting a nice scaler to go with the Tag? Or are you thinking of selling it?

Jeff

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have high hopes for the Tag scaler, guess I am just playing, would be nice to have an affordable back up (Quadscan or PSM1) though. I know it will be a while before the Tag scaler surfaces but don't really want to wait, hence the interest in LCOS and PSM1 (I have a baby HCPC). The Tag DVD was way late, almost a year I think, I think the scaler project is another ambitious one.

Think I would like to wait for the home cinema tweaked LCOS due from Hitachi early next year.

8. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic,
    I got mine done by Frank Doorhof in Holland.
    email is, doorhof@globalxs.nl
    I'm 99% sure he can do your Tosh.

He's a great chap so you can trust him to do a good job.

Fellow forum member mikeaitch (another great guy) drove down from stoke yesterday and spent a good hour in my HT room. He can testify as to just how good this mod is.

He usually takes around 2-3 weeks (Frank likes to test well for any problems before he ships)... How it works is you pay for shipping to Holland (around 30 quid with TNT), and he pays for shipping back.
    Tell Frank Unlce Eric recommended you.

Franks homepage for his company, ITC is
    www.hometheater.nl

Best Wishes
    Eric

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Thanks for the input Eric unfortunately Frank says

Toshiba 9000 is a no go.
    Toshiba SD-500 is no problem, strange because both are almost the same.

At this moment we have good results with:
    Toshiba SD-500
    Sony 7700
    Pioneer 737/939

He also says to say hi

I guess it is back to the drawing board unless someone knows of some really cheap 7700 / 737 to add to the DVD player collection.......

10. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic,
    Man what a shame. The Tosh is one hell of a good player.
    Only thing I can suggest is to keep an eye out for a 7700. These are old machines now and there should be some around that are heavily discounted.
    Once Frank does his magic......wow, 7700 becomes a dream machine.

Eric

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have a cunning plan......more about that later.....

Can any users give me some pros and cons / limitations of this mod. I am particularly interested in ease of use and the quality of the deinterlacing compared with saya HCPC or scaler (quadscan?).

If I tell the PSM1 to output XGA could I get it to map to an XGA DLP one to one pixel mapping by passing the internal electronics? Anyone got any ideas?

Is the resolution easy to change on the dongle?

I have a distant memory of a DVI upgrade board as a later add on to the PSM1 but can't find any mention of it now, did I get this wrong or was it dropped?

Thanks guys

12. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic,

Pro's and Con's of the Cinematrix mod are the following.

Con's first.
    1) Not at its best when dealing with PAL which is a little soft looking. (Doesen't bother me as I buy 99.9% R1 NTSC)
    2) Video not the best you will see. Mind you, not many scalers seem to touch the Fara's on this anyway.
    3) On some Animation (not all), you will see combing (slight) on fast moving objects during various parts of the movie. 'Road to Elderado' being the worst offender. (My kids dont normally crit the combing on their cartoons so its ok.
    By the way, 'Toy Story' and most others are perfect.
    4) While there is a degree of the Chroma Bug, this is not in the slightest offensive. In fact, you would be hard pushed to spot it, unlike some players like the Denon 2800 where its shouting at you. *Note, A good test scene for the bug is the opening scenes of '3000 miles to Graceland' when Kurt Russels RED classic car has stopped for petrol. Red goes haywire on some players.*
    5) On a well known mixed footage (film and Video) test, the V.E. montage, it performed very well indeed with seamless transfer between the two. It can be tripped up occasionally by starting from a paused frame which takes a few more seconds than a Fara to lock on. No big crime.

Pro's are,
    1) Incredibly convienient to use. Basicly set it and forget it.
    2) Absolutely fabulous on film based NTSC material, beautiful colour satuaration with no visible scaling artifacts whatsoever.
    3) Any scaling rate can be set from 480p to 1200p (by yourself with the easy to use doggle switch)
    4) The dealer (Frank) will dial in any resolution within one of the settings that will match pixel for pixel any single lense device you care to mention. In fact, one of the settings is already matched to the Sony VW10.

Finally, I really do think this is a great device and cant believe it is still unique in the HT world today even after over a year since its inception. I've seen budget scalers such as the Quadscan and C.I. and they dont even come close to the Cinematrix mod.

Next time you are in London, you are welcome to come over and take a look.

*Please Note*
    I have no affiliation with Cinematrix or ITC Home Theater (Frank Doorhof) in any way shape or form.
    I am mearly recommending what I believe to be a great product for the money. Those of you that know me will know that I never hesitate to question any product or service that I consider to be bad value for money.

Eric

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Eric

Thanks for that, just what I was after a warts and all crit. All too often these forums are about extolling the virtues of what you have. It is good to have a balanced view. I must admit that ever since my first post on this ages ago I have more than keen on the idea, though some email communication with CiNEMATRIX hasn't always been the most reliable!

Do you think the PAL thing being not as good is down to lack of 2:2 pull down?

Thanks for the offer of the visit, unfortunately I think I made my last trip to London before the twins last Thursday and friday! If I am down again I will let you know.

14. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic,

I dont know what you expect to pay but in this months Widescreen Review there's an ad by Cinematrix offering a DVP 7700 for an additional $195 over the Cinematrix mod.

Steve

15. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Thanks Steve, this is my cunning plan! $1134 delivered to me in the UK, about £800.