Cinemateq

philipb

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Enjoying the slug fest between iScan and Lumagen, and others.

Almost no mention on this forum of the cinemateq. Any views anyone?

the Lumagen/Iscan battle hasnt yet started! The lumagen units arent on the market yet and really arent direct competition (except for the visiondvi).

I havent even heard of cinemateq!

ad

What about the Crystallio ;)

The couple of people I have spoken who have been playing with it reckon it is the best scaler they have ever seen, so another interesting option.

I will probably settle for a vison with bnc and sdi, more for financial reasons than anything else.

They are all getting pretty damn good now, but I have to agree that the Lumagens seem like a no brainer when you look at the prices.

If the new ones are no better than my current vision picture wise, I would still be happy, just to have the hd in and sdi and dvi.

the Lumagen/Iscan battle hasnt yet started!

Buns - you're joking. A war of words so far I agree (eg just look at the other posts on this thread) , but hotting up.

Thanks guys for all that, but not really what I asked. What looked at least superficially attractive about the Cinemateq is the connectivity. SCART and SDI in, and DVI out. If you add all that to say a Lumagen (SCART of course not an option on the others) it bumps up the price quite a bit. Maybe the cinemateq does PAL better - being a European machine?

BTW - I remembered the other day that about 6 months ago there were rumours flying of a UK company getting into this market - whatever happened to that?

How much is the cinemateq?

I think that the Vision HDP with sdi option is around the £1250 mark, correct me if I am wrong Gordon.

And if you are after DVI then the visionDVI would be chaeper still.

HDP sdi is £1450..... the only reason i say the war hasnt begun is because no one (who can say anything) has actually seen the lumagens...... Hopefully we will have that sorted in to time!

all the best

ad

Originally posted by philipb
Buns - you're joking. A war of words so far I agree (eg just look at the other posts on this thread) , but hotting up.

Thanks guys for all that, but not really what I asked. What looked at least superficially attractive about the Cinemateq is the connectivity. SCART and SDI in, and DVI out. If you add all that to say a Lumagen (SCART of course not an option on the others) it bumps up the price quite a bit. Maybe the cinemateq does PAL better - being a European machine?

Lack of scart on scalers isn't really a problem, you either get your kit SDI modded (best quality option) or get a scart to RGB+CV component cable.

I dont know if the crystallio does HDCP..... when i talked to Nelson about it 6 weeks back, this was as yet undecided.

The only one I know for sure is ok in this sense is the Lumagen.

And I agree with cybersoga about scart..... there are ways around this and chances are that someone with this level of gear will be very aware or else their installer will simply do it for them

ad

no one (who can say anything) has actually seen the lumagens

I think Gordon has.

Cinemateq with SDI costs about £1600 at current euro exchange.

Lack of SCART is not a problem, but having one is nice - one less box, one less conversion step. And I can't modify my Sky+ box for SDI unless I get a V1 box. Buns can tell us if that's worth it when he's got his modded box up and running;)

At these prices I would need convincing that thay are going to be noticeably better than my current set up - a Holo3dII card which delivers very good PQ. The old iScan pro never got close to the PQ from the H3D. I'm prepared to believe the new kit is better - but £1500 better?

Yeah, all you need is a scart to phono or bnc and take it into the Lumagen using one of the composite inputs for the sync.

Now if only Sky had put BNC connectors on the back of there box, I would have thought they may be a bit of a market for somone to produce a sky box with BNC outs for Component, RGB\H\v , SDI and DVI out?

Gordon

Just that with the SCART input on the Cinemateq I could do away with the need for a RGB to component converter - one less box and one less set of cables, one less conversion, one less mains plug, etc.

Don't get me wrong - I hate SCART plugs, especially angled ones (just what you'd expect from a French invention - :oops: no offence to our French readers). But as gizlaroc says for the moment at least we're stuck with them.

Gizlaroc - that's the problem. A bit of a market but not a big enough bit to make it worthwhile.

Originally posted by philipb
Just that with the SCART input on the Cinemateq I could do away with the need for a RGB to component converter - one less box and one less set of cables, one less conversion, one less mains plug, etc.

You don't need a RGB scart to component YPbPr adapter, component can be RGB+Composite(sync) as output natively by most scart equipment. All you need is a scart to 4 RCA/BNC cable and tell the scaler to accept RGB+Composite(sync) instead of YPbPr.

Exactly, afaik all the scalers listed here will accept an RGsB and RGBS (as on a sky box) signal - it's just a cable that's needed. We sell a very high quality scart to RGBS cable for just £45 so it's not really a problem. I'm using one right now as I type into Crystalio :D

Hello,

We do have Cinemateq SDI, iScan HD and Crystalio over in our office in USA. I would say that Cinemateq has a better Pal processing; however there are a few disadvantages of it`s missing a dvi input for the pass-though and audio switching. Otherwise very interesting product. New software had added a few options to the scaler, please refer to their website for more info.

I have not personaly seen Lumagen, so i have nothing to say about it.

Thanks

Best regards,
Mike

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom