1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cinemateq Scalers

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sparkybun, Mar 2, 2005.

1. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience of the Cinemateq range of Scalers.

cinemateq

How do they rate alongside the HD/HD+ or the Lumagen

Thanks in anticipation

Mel

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Have you done a Search on here, these are mentioned from time to time.

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I am sure the German chap from Cinemateq will chip in quite soon ;) :)

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Took the plunge and bought one a couple of weeks ago.

Overall well pleased with it. Still playing with the settings, but PQ with SDI sources into a Pio 43MXE1 is superb.

I was planning to post on why I bought the Cinemateq, my settings, performance etc as soon as possible. I'll try to do it in the next couple of days.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    BE interested in which one you bought, and why you chose the cinemmateq over Lumagen and Iscan

6. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very little in it..had a Cinemateq a couple of weeks ago..I still think the scaling in the HD+ is better-by a small margin..but the Cinemateq looks the biz!

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Which one? would be nice to know model to know if it were the £600 model you were comparing to the HD+ or the £1300 unit

8. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was the plus 2.

9. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Right - here's why I bought the cinemateq and what I think of it so far.

Firstly it is just impossible to see all the contenders operating side by side, especially on your own kit. So as far as performance was concerned I had to go from what I had seen, reviews, reports on this forum etc. I also had a long and very helpful chat with the only (?) UK dealer who supplies all the leading boxes - Liam at Progressive AV. He was really helpful and I eventually bought the SDI plus II from him.

I needed a box with dual SDI inputs, and my price limit was around the £1200 mark. I couldn't afford twice that for the Crystalio or the top end Lumagen. In the price range the SDI plus II easily had the best range of features and input/output options. While I had to take performance on trust to a large extent, Liam was able to reassure me that it was up there with the opposition.

I also was a little prejudiced against the Lumagen for a few reasons which are probably quite unfair but then prejudice is not logical. I was put off a bit by the need to have the Lumagen prfessionally installed and tweaked. Don't like boxes that are too tricky for the home user to operate. Secondly I was worried by the "work in progress" tag that attaches to the Lumagen. I don't want the promise of future firmware updates to get features that at the price should be available now. I had that experience with Immersive and the H3DII card. The prommised improvements never did materialise with that, and its PAL performance actually got worse with successive software releases. I am, probably unreasonably, very suspicious of the ability of North American gear to do PAL well. Cinemateq is of course European - it even has scarts :)

So I went for the SDI plus II, promptly deliverd by Liam.

How does it perform? Well - I'm totally chuffed. If the others can beat this PQ on a Pio 43MXE1 I'll be amazed. Piers Clerk came to calibrate my plasma last Sunday and when he walked in he was most impressed with the PQ. He wasn't sure how much he could improve it, but he did. So a really good PQ is now excellent. I've needed to make almost no changes from the defaults on the plus II - I can post settings if anyone is intrested. PQ via SDI from Sky+ and DVD and out via the DVI into the plasma is awesome. I love it. I also have a sony freeview box connected via one of the scart inputs and that too is superb. I had always been a fan of the JS Tech scart to VGA converter for use on a plasma, but the step up in quality via the Cinemateq is fantastic. It has a mountain of pre-set aspect ratios and resolutions so getting 1:1 on the Pio was a doddle.

So its reasonably priced, well featured, has all the tweaks and adjustments you could want but may well not need, looks good and performs great.

I have no idea how much better or worse it is compared to the competition, but I'm well pleased and would recommend this box to anyone.

10. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi philipb,

I've been talking to Klaus (at Cinemateq), and he informs me that there are no test patterns built into the unit for verifying 1:1 pixel mapping. Klaus recommends using a 'Peter Finzel' test disc in order to confirm 1:1 mapping.

I'm glad you liked the Cinemateq, I'm hoping to demo one in a few weeks time.

1. What did you use to ascertain whether you had acheived 1:1 mapping?
    2. Does it have a fan in it?
    3. Do you see combing as the unit switches from film to video mode (for instance during bbc news broadcasts)?

The thing that worries me about this unit, is that it seems to have no support for sky HD.

Regards,
    Ian

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,787
    Glad you like your new scaler Philip. Just want to point out a couple of things for others reading this thread.

Lumagen DVI with SDI inputs is under your £1200 budget (srp £1065).
    All scalers require professional calibration in order to work at their best, not just Lumagen.
    Lumagen scalers will work straight out the box in to any display and most dealers/all dealers usually pre-configure them so you will get a good image without any help. We also have a dedicated support forum and dedicated dealers who are able to give help and advice on advanced set up.

I completely understand your choice and wish you lots of film viewing pleasure now you've had Piers in to give it a good going over.

All the best,

Gordon

12. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Ian

I didn't really - just set it up to output native resolution, 1024x768, and bob's your uncle. I needed to adjust the picture position a little, but otherwise perfect.

Gordon - I had ruled out the "bottom of the range" Lumagen. Like I said my Immersive experience had, probably totally unreasonably, jaundiced me against north american gear. I doubt anybody would be disappointed with any one of Lumagen/Crystalio/iscan/Cinemateq, just more pleased with one than another and balancing price v. performance v. features and inputs. I just think the Cinemateq is the best overall balance.

13. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Ian

Sorry forgot your other questions,

If there is a fan it is totally noiseless.

Don't see anything when it switches - you're totally unaware that its doing it. In fact there isn't an artefact anywhere of any kind.

I don't understand your point about Sky HD. Check the list of resolutions - I think it will do it.

14. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi philipb,

Many thanks for the info; very useful.

1. So no combing is evident when changing from film mode to video mode; sounds tremendous.
    2. Good news about there being no fan.
    3. From what you have said, you may not be running at 1:1 pixel mapped. In many ways, that is my point. Surely a processor should have some test patterns included?
    If you do spend the time (with a test disc) to set it up 1:1, a further increase in sharpness may arise (that was my experience with the Lumagen & Crystalio).

My point with respect to sky hd was the fact it has no digital HDCP input.

Regards,
    Ian

15. 4bettermovies

4bettermovies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the Peter Finzel disc is only available in German, I also recommended to Ian the Joe Kane disc for testings: Please refer to http://www.videoessentials.com/ for more information.

regards
    klaus

16. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Ian

Good point on the mapping. I'm seeking advice on how to do it.

You are correct about the digital input. IMO something to worry about when Sky HD becomes a reality, whenever that might be.