1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cinemateq Picture Optimiser Plus II

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NS-UK, Feb 3, 2005.

1. NS-UK

NS-UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know how this compares to DVDO iScan HD? The Cinemateq has a handy Scart input....

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    The Iscan HD has a scart compatible RGBcvS input....as do all the current Lumagen scalers. All you need is a scart lead with scart at one end and 4 rca's at other for RGBcomposite.

Gordon

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    NS-UK is this for use with the HS30 in your sig? with a screen like the HHS30 careful scaler choice is needed.........

4. 4bettermovies

4bettermovies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A nice, late-breaking comparsion could be found here: http://www.hifi.nl/recensies3.php?id=2212

I, as a manufacturer, hope to be allowed to post the highlights in here - in English as your Dutch may not be fluently :)

- Very good look and design compared with the old picture optimizer plus.
    - Valuable function on DVI for choise pc- or video variant to get a good black- and white level with video.
    - Positive about the real resolutions 720p and 1080p and popular resolutions like 852x480 and 1366x768.
    - No white clipping anymore compared with older firmware.
    - With NTSC video material there is a little staircasing in the view, but there is imperceptible switch over from video to movie and vice versa.
    - When using the Peter Finzel DVD with PAL tests, the picture optimizer passed the test with a glance in stead of the earlier tested DVDO iScan HD which had some problems like vibrations.
    - Very good improvement with PAL compared with older firmware versions, never saw such good results with PAL with scaler in this price.
    - NTSC is good too, but the real 3:2 pulldown results of de DVDO iScan HD were not reached.
    - Less aliasing compared with older firmware versions.

Conclusion: Cinemateq succeeded to improve the former picture optimizer plus, but the bonus is that also the customers with the former model can upgrade to this level. Picture quality of PAL is pretty much perfect!! Also NTSC is improve but less then PAL.
    The relative low price is, when looking to performance and flexibility of the product, completely justificated.
    This scaler is unbeatable for his price with PAL material.
    _____

Best regards
    klaus

5. osmyth

osmyth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Klaus, does the Plus II have the same problems as the Iscan regarding film and video mode at the same time, causing combing?

Anyone with a Plus II like to share their experiences.

People have mentioned certain channels such as Bloomberg, but Pottsy has found something on Corrie, so how widespread is the source problem?

thanks, Owen.

6. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I am that rare, hopefully not endangered, species - a Cinemateq user. to be specific the SDI plus II.

I use the two SDI inputs almost exclusively - a modded Sky+ and a modded Denon 2900. Display is a Pioneer 43MXE1.

PQ is excellent. I have been delighted with the performance. I have film/video mode set to auto and have never seen any artefacts. There is a TV mode which I have tried but can't see any difference.

It actually has two handy scart inputs, but as Gordon rightly points out you can get around this with the appropriate lead into a Lumagen.

If digital (DVI/HDMI) in with HDCP is an issue for you then the Cinemateq won't do. I decided SDI now rather than Sky HD in maybe 12 months or more was more important, and for me the combination or price point and features was compelling. Add to that great performance and I can recommend the SDI plus II.

7. osmyth

osmyth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Philipb, thanks.
    Have you tried the analogue connections for PQ, as that would be my route?
    Owen.

8. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Yes, I experimented with component into the Pio plasma using 720p and 1080i resolutions. The inputs I tried were SDI, scart and component. All cases the PQ was superb; SDI in and component out at 720p was the best, but all were very good including the all analogue routes.

For some DVDs using the Denon SDI, I even thought the component out at 720p was marginally better than DVI into the plasma at native resolution. Just shows digital is not always necessarily better than analogue.

9. osmyth

osmyth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any other Cinemateq owners out there?