Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Cinemateq Picture Optimiser Plus II

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Neil F Holland, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Neil F Holland

Neil F Holland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon / MAW / Other Retailers

Am interested in your expert opinions as to the merits of these three Scalers

Cinemateq Picture Optimiser Plus II (c. £1000)
    DVDO iScan HD Video Scaler (c. £840.00)
    Lumagen Vision DVI (c. £800)

Are there compelling reasons to upscale to other Lumagen or other models...

Thanks

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
  3. Steve Rollings

Steve Rollings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil
    I had the Cinematiq basic version and had issues with my box with my PW4 plasma, there was 4/5 inch band on the left hand side. Swapped it for the Iscan HD and no problems.

Steve

4. Neil F Holland

Neil F Holland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Steve... I too am leaning towards the iScan but am genuinely interested in agnostic comparisons!!

(Appreciate your candidness, Gordon!)

5. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Depend what you want it for? If your all digital then probably the I Scan but if you have a CRT then the BNCs on the Lumagen are nice to have :thumbsup: I dont know of anything on the cinemateq

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    Just to mention that the Lumagen DVI the poster is talking about is a digital in out scaler fully HDCP compliant with option of SDI.......it has no BNC analogue outputs...they are an optional. I see no reason to suggest that if you wish to go digital the Iscan HD is of more benefit. In fact it's inablity to process HDCP protected source material would seem to be make it lean to exactly the opposite, if any viewpoint. This is an area the new HD+ addresses from tht company.

Gordon

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,088
    Neil F Holland

What display or projector do you have, what sources and what plans for source or display upgrades over the next couple of years?

These questions will help narrow down your best option - I supply both Lumagen and DVDO so can give you a steer on both of those products but don't have much hands on experience with the Cinemateq products.

Best regards

Joe

8. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Guys i'm in the same boat...will hopefully be getting a scaler next year. Currently have the 43 MXE-1 and will add my ntl/sky box and dvd player to a scaler. Want to improve the black levels on the screen and get best out of the shoddy signals delivered by the broadcastors! Currently only using the plasma for dvd's until it has a 100 or so hours on it and then will use it say 40% tv and 60% dvds.

9. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    I reckon the Cinemateq over the iScan on PQ, not much in it mind. However I expect the imminent HD+ will be better and may produce an equally good image.

The Cinemateq will not touch progressive or HD signals whatsoever, and has no DVI input or audio delay. It does have 2 RGB scart *plus* 2 YUV inputs (rather than 2 YUV/RGB inputs of the similarly priced DVDO and Lumagen offerings), and a rather comlicated set of bypass outputs. And it's silver and fancy looking.

The iScan will play with progressive signals and the HD+ will allow scaling of HDCP encrypted DVI signals. It has the audio delay functions too, although in many cases an AV amp is available with this functionality or an off-board delay device can be bought.

The Lumagen will process progressive, HD, HDCP and has a couple of DVI inputs too which will work with interlaced HDMI feeds for low cost, all digital connection. Best picture IMO and more suited to analogue *and* digital displays. Optional BNC outputs for analogue, DVI output (will pass any HDCP signals through) for digital.

All models have optional SDI inputs.

Usually unless you require the extra video switching of the Cinemateq or the audio delay of the iScan, the Lumagen will usually be your best bet.

10. Neil F Holland

Neil F Holland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Liam very comprehensive analysis... :thumbsup: