Quantcast

Cinemas will die a slow painful death!

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
cant remember the name now, its either The Prince Charles or the The Prince of Wales (or possibly something else..heh) cineme just off Leicester Square, fantastic place, screen is just about big enough to be considered cinematic, but the sound is brilliant, its fully Dolby Digital in every regard, good speakers that are capable of doing what they are supposed to.....its one of the few cinemas i both going to, oh and its not too expensive either....they even have a bar in the building...heh (cant take drinks in tho if i remember right....not that thats ever stopped me, usually sneak a few bottles in a film with me regardless of cinema so i can enjoy myself)......

however i suffer back problems, so for me going cinema isnt so nice, i like it but i cant cope with it too often, hence making my own home cinema as good as i can for the monies available.......only films i bother seeing are epic scale films that really are shown best justice by a screen so big you could fit up the actors nostril....lol

O

organica

Interesting thread.

My take on it is that home cinema + DVD + broadband distribution is certainly good news for indie filmmakers: it provides us with a whole new world of distribution options, & frees us from reliance on largely conservative cinemas and TV stations.

However, since getting a projector myself, it's paradoxically opened my eyes to the magic of the cinema. Projectors are great, and a whole different class of experience from a plasma TV, but they're still not the same as cinema. (Support your local, give the megachains the finger!) :) :devil:

I hope NicolasB's Spielberg prediction about a new wave of 3D films comes to pass. Personally, despite being sick and tired of the reliance on computer effects as a substitute for good film, I am a huge fan of 3D, especially on iMax. It can be an amazingly immersive experience.

But works in a home cinema too. Obviously it's not the iMax, but the technology is getting better, and I can't wait for the first really serious 3D computer games.

This is why everyone should sell their cars and buy a projector instead! LOL - provide the market and the software will follow!

sainthalo

Banned
Knyght_byte said:
cant remember the name now, its either The Prince Charles or the The Prince of Wales (or possibly something else..heh) cineme just off Leicester Square, fantastic place, screen is just about big enough to be considered cinematic, but the sound is brilliant, its fully Dolby Digital in every regard, good speakers that are capable of doing what they are supposed to.....its one of the few cinemas i both going to, oh and its not too expensive either....they even have a bar in the building...heh (cant take drinks in tho if i remember right....not that thats ever stopped me, usually sneak a few bottles in a film with me regardless of cinema so i can enjoy myself)......

however i suffer back problems, so for me going cinema isnt so nice, i like it but i cant cope with it too often, hence making my own home cinema as good as i can for the monies available.......only films i bother seeing are epic scale films that really are shown best justice by a screen so big you could fit up the actors nostril....lol
oh yes they do a splendidly bizarre rocky horror show there as well!

going back to 1999 when i was studying but watch out for the sticky carpet!

sainthalo

Banned
PJTX100 said:
...also at home you can fall asleep and pick up from where you left off the next night.... and the next... etc :D
you too eh? do you wake up and think "another two hours of wasted bulb life!!!" or is that just me!!:D

Timmy C

sainthalo said:
you too eh? do you wake up and think "another two hours of wasted bulb life!!!" or is that just me!!:D
Tell me about it! I can feel myself nodding off but don't turn off the pj and then get angry with myself when I wake up!

As far as the subject of this thread goes, I've only been to the cinema once since buying a pj and decent surround system a couple of years back and that was only coz it was a film about the Ramones and I'm a Ramones freak! To be honest I don'tl like cinemas at all for the usual reasons listed by others and I can't handle sitting in a cinema seat for much more than an hour. I wouldn't care if they were wiped out altogether!

I only try to go to what i call 'upmarket/trendy' cinemas , i.e. where they show more indie type films.
people who go here tend to have some respect for the Cinema and actually manage to shut up duting the movie.

I absolutely hate noisy, moronic behaviour in mainstream cinemas and will avoid them at all costs.
The standards in multiplexes are absolutely DIRE!!!

I went with my wife to watch the 'War of the Worlds' at the local 12 seater, The screen had a huge scratch down the middle and the picture had a weird shimmer like it was going in and out of the focus.

We complained and came back to watch on another screen
2 hours later. This screen had a streaky stain down one side and the top 3 ft of the picture was out of sight!!

thankfully she never seemed to notice so i just sat through it.

I cant wait for films to be streamed directly to my homes and i hope these piles of crap go out of business ASAP!!
And they have a cheek to charge ridiculous prices and fleece you a bag of popcorn that probably costs them about 2P!!

Oh dear I have turned into me dad!

The obvious plus points of pausing when you go to the loo, rewinding a bit you missed etc etc are quite vital to me now.

Its funny when i first got Pause live TV on my HTPC i thought who would want that, NOW I use it all the time!!

Bascially I think people want more control and convenience over their entertainment and better value for money. Home theatre is a major step in that direction for me

Top Bottom