• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cinemas - bring back the red curtains - Campaign

Would you like to see red curtains back in cinemas?

• Yes

Votes: 28 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Unsure/undecided

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters

playthefilm

Established Member
Following the last few comments in the King Kong post under the Movies & Movie DVDs, I reckon we should all start a

"Bring Back The Red Curtains (BBTRC)" campaign.

(For the young'uns the cinema used to close and open red curtains at the end of the adverts and before the start of the film).

Show your support below, replies, poster/tshirt campaign designs and so on.

Spread the word, this could make the newspapers!

enablerbro1

Prominent Member
As long as they also only go back to having Pearl & Dean 'dudu dudu dudu dudu du du du dudu dudu dudu duduuuuuuuuuuuuu dah!' and not some bloke sitting in the shadows playing with his organ.

Sick Boy

Established Member
enablerbro1 said:
As long as they also only go back to having Pearl & Dean 'dudu dudu dudu dudu du du du dudu dudu dudu duduuuuuuuuuuuuu dah!'

This has been back for years.

Why do people want the curtains back though? Bring back the prices to a reasonable level first.

Could imagine the curtains in my local Cineworld or Showcase. It would be a susprise to see how bad the screen was. Second thoughts, it would just be another automated system to go wrong.

C

Chumpy

I think there are a lot more things they could improve first, for example having mobile phone blackouts. The curtains are a nice touch, but if you want to rekindle the romanticism of a cinema visit you'd have to rebuild the old style cinema/theatres that we've spent the last 30 years knocking down or turning into dingy nightclubs.

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
HI,

The red curtain issue would be nice, but as others have already stated, there are more important issues that need to be sorted out first, e.g. making sure the picture is always in focus; that the film print has been correctly framed and the sound is crystal clear - not too loud, but not too quiet either.

Pooch

C

Chumpy

What about remote controlled ejector seats to get rid of annoying chavs :D

drunkenmaster

Established Member
I think that hoody kids will just tear them down or use them to swing on - bunch of monkeys -

Reminds me of tha' ol mary hopkins song...Those were the days my friend.....

BazMan

Established Member

Marc

Distinguished Member
i'm sure at least one of the cinemas in portsmouth still has this.. the big vue one doesn't and i'm not sure about the uci, but there are two little scummy ones which i think have them still, possibly due to not having been maintained in any way since the early 90's ;)

huwg

Established Member
It was always nice when after the adverts and a few trailers, the 'outer' curtains moved away revealing the full on 'letterbox' screen. It provided that extra touch of anticipation which said "We've made the screen even bigger just for the main feature".

But yeah, making sure the film is in focus is the main priority on my list of gripes.

Kevo

Prominent Member
Whilst they're at it....

The 'courting couples double seats' on the end of the row :D

The organist !

Remember the "Smoking is permitted on the left side of the theatre...." film with a large image of a burning cigarette as the curtain closed before re-opening again for the start of the film.

lovemunkey187

Established Member
Kevo said:
Whilst they're at it....

The 'courting couples double seats' on the end of the row :D

The organist !

Remember the "Smoking is permitted on the left side of the theatre...." film with a large image of a burning cigarette as the curtain closed before re-opening again for the start of the film.

:eek: WOW, you are old:eek: :eek: ;) :) :D

GalacticaActual

Distinguished Member
I have to agree with Pooch. Lets make sure the quality of the actually presentation of the movie is spot on first. Then not let anyone else in the Cinema once the movie has started. No mobile phones, no talking or messing around. And lets face, I would personally ban all food and drink form a cinema as well. I really dont want to be siiting in a cinema and get the smell of blooming NAnchos and popcorn wafting over to me every 5 mins. I used to go to the cinema at least twice a week. I find the whole experince just a royal pain in the backside now, and most of the time just wait for the DVD .

grimoor

Established Member
Also show a short movie before the main show. There are a lot of good stuff and it should get shown to the wider audience.

Of course the person selling ice cream at the front was always a nice touch as a kid. I've seen my Vue (not sure if all of them) have started having a person with a cart full of drinks and sweets to tempt you one more time as you're just about to sit down.

But I agree picture and sound quality and "people" need to be improved. Or everyone will just rent/buy DVDs instead.

Kevo

Prominent Member
grimoor said:
Also show a short movie before the main show. There are a lot of good stuff and it should get shown to the wider audience.

Bring back the 'double bills'!

I remeber watching Airplane/Blazing Saddles and The Incredible Melting Man/Clones back to back!

Of course the person selling ice cream at the front was always a nice touch as a kid.

I miss a bit of the old 'albatross' during the intermission;)

Bat-man

Prominent Member
I used to go to the cinema on a regular basis but, since the advent of multiplexes, combined with noisy idiots ruining the experience, I havn't been for about twenty years.
Shame really as I used to thoroughly enjoy the art deco in my local cinema (made me feel like it was special).

robyoung

Established Member
Agree with all comments, for what we pay (nearly £7 a time now! :eek: ) we aren't half short changed!

Its a shame i'm not rich, i would love to start a consortium of people to buy a cinema and turn it in to a real 'film fans cinema'....

-Every film properly callobrated for picture and sound.
-No adverts
-Over 18s only :)
-Films getting equal billing, rather than the Blockbuster taking up 90% of the
showings
-A different classic on every week (as voted for by members)
-The option to purchase an unlimited season/monthly ticket
-Mobile phone blockers in each screen
-Walls properly soundproofed

ahhh, i'm just dreaming now! But if any entrepeuners are reading this, you'll be on to a winner! :thumbsup: :lesson:

Anyone think of anything else? :D

Rob

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom