Cinemaparadiso disc rental

xaote

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been a member of this excellent movie rental service for many years.
They have a range of different rental packages. I have the unlimited rentals a month and they send out 2 discs at a time for £15. (4k discs included) If u are fast to watch and return u can get a lot of movies squeezed into a month!
You make out a list of the discs you want in order of your priority, they send you out 2 in the post, u watch them then return in a prepaid envelope. They then send u out the next 2 from your list.

The reason I am posting about them is because I got an email from them yesterday saying that they are doubling the amount of rentals they will send out as people are stuck at home because of this virus.
This makes this service exceptional value for money

Please note, I am in no way involved in this company, nor do I benefit in anyway by getting extra members

I just thought it was worth a mention on the forum for anyone that might be tempted by their generous offer while being stuck at home.

They may have a free trial period, but I am not certain about that.
There is no minimum contact period, u can cancel at anytime.
Jim

I am also a member but unfortunately unless they put measures in place to sterilise their discs I would caution against using their service
IMO shiny disks covered in fingerprints is a recipe for disaster so I am going to freeze my subscription
in fact I question if they should still be operating at this point in time?
I do realise that if everyone does the same it could be the end of Cinemaparadiso but if they asked I would be willing to continue paying my subscription in the hope that they survive

Last edited:
That is a very good point to make, I take every precaution when my discs arrive. I actually wash the discs and my hands everytime I handle the envelope or discs.
I do the same thing after any letter comes through the letterbox.
Personally, I don't see there being any extra risk receiving the discs as long as these precautions are taken but Its a very good point to make, I never thought of mentioning this.

That is a very good point to make, I take every precaution when my discs arrive. I actually wash the discs and my hands everytime I handle the envelope or discs.
I do the same thing after any letter comes through the letterbox.
Personally, I don't see there being any extra risk receiving the discs as long as these precautions are taken but Its a very good point to make, I never thought of mentioning this.
While I take your point washing the discs doesn't guarantee your safety
the company has a duty of care for the Health and Safety of its customers and they should have a Risk Assessment in place to ensure the discs and packaging are not contaminated
until they acknowledge what precautions they have taken I will avoid like the plague (pun intended)

While I take your point washing the discs doesn't guarantee your safety
the company has a duty of care for the Health and Safety of its customers and they should have a Risk Assessment in place to ensure the discs and packaging are not contaminated
until they acknowledge what precautions they have taken I will avoid like the plague (pun intended)
As I said, it really is a good point to make. I guess we all have to make our own decisions as to the precautions we take.

Just out of interest I am going to email them now to see what precautions they are taking, if any.
Personally I believe I am being as safe as possible.
Because of the point you have made, I am going to test out if hand sanitizer damages the discs in anyway on 1 of my own old discs.
I will report what they have to say when I get a reply.

Going to check mine then as haven't had an email about this, its all well and good if you actually get the discs delivered, I had some sent out Wednesday and still yet to arrive.
No fault of CP though, I just guess Royal Mail are cutting back delivery schedules, not had any post for a few days now.

Going to check mine then as haven't had an email about this, its all well and good if you actually get the discs delivered, I had some sent out Wednesday and still yet to arrive.
No fault of CP though, I just guess Royal Mail are cutting back delivery schedules, not had any post for a few days now.
I have the same issue. As u say, I don't think it is the fault of CP, I don't seem to be receiving letters from RM as often either.
Do u have the same rental package that I have?

I tested using alcohol based hand sanitizer on a disc. After it has been rubbed in it does leave smearing on the disc which is easily removed and the disc plays fine.

I have the same issue. As u say, I don't think it is the fault of CP, I don't seem to be receiving letters from RM as often either.
Do u have the same rental package that I have?

Yep I have the unlimited, mine were posted to me on Wednesday and I think the decision to double rentals was made later, I hope my postman delivers tomorrow, but the main thing is everyone stays safe so I can completely understand there will be delays.

As I said, it really is a good point to make. I guess we all have to make our own decisions as to the precautions we take.

Just out of interest I am going to email them now to see what precautions they are taking, if any.
Personally I believe I am being as safe as possible.
Because of the point you have made, I am going to test out if hand sanitizer damages the discs in anyway on 1 of my own old discs.
I will report what they have to say when I get a reply.
I agree and after your original post did consider asking the same so glad to hear that you will now do that
to be clear CP has provided a great service
I have the 2 disc service and have been receiving emails as normal
I just froze my account and have received a confirmation email
as I said previously I am more than happy to continue paying my subscription while the account is frozen to ensure the company survives

I tested using alcohol based hand sanitizer on a disc. After it has been rubbed in it does leave smearing on the disc which is easily removed and the disc plays fine.
Good to know and a wise added precaution but it doesn't absolve CP from advising customers of what precautions they are taking in tackling their customers concerns at source

Yep I have the unlimited, mine were posted to me on Wednesday and I think the decision to double rentals was made later, I hope my postman delivers tomorrow, but the main thing is everyone stays safe so I can completely understand there will be delays.
I'm the same, they don't seem to be sending out double discs until they receive the discs you currently have at home.

I agree and after your original post did consider asking the same so glad to hear that you will now do that
to be clear CP has provided a great service
I have the 2 disc service and have been receiving emails as normal
I just froze my account and have received a confirmation email
as I said previously I am more than happy to continue paying my subscription while the account is frozen to ensure the company survives

It is an excellent service, I think it will help to keep me sane while I am isolating!
I will report when I get a return email

I am also a member but unfortunately unless they put measures in place to sterilise their discs I would caution against using their service
IMO shiny disks covered in fingerprints is a recipe for disaster so I am going to freeze my subscription
in fact I question if they should still be operating at this point in time?
I do realise that if everyone does the same it could be the end of Cinemaparadiso but if they asked I would be willing to continue paying my subscription in the hope that they survive

True, but where does it end? The same is potentially applicable to every bit of post you receive, not to mention every item being added to your fridge and cupboards.

I use an antibac wipe and am generally mindful. As such, I'm try not to go too far off the deep end with being cautious...

True, but where does it end? The same is potentially applicable to every bit of post you receive, not to mention every item being added to your fridge and cupboards.

I use an antibac wipe and am generally mindful. As such, I'm try not to go too far off the deep end with being cautious...
So in your opinion it is possible to go too far ?

it seems with every reply so far everyone is very careful and have always cleaned their rented discs,probably more concerned about playback issues than germs (good boys)
pound to a penny they don't clean them when they send them back (obvious by the amount of fingerprints on a rented disc)

where it starts and ends is by highlighting something that the OP failed to address in encouraging new subscribers with good intent and not his fault
now that has been done everyone is free to make an informed choice

my choice is to freeze my account safe in the knowledge that I won't be inadvertently passing covid19 onto CP employees and customers when I return my discs

if that's going too far off the deep end so be it, to each their own

Last edited:
So in your opinion it is possible to go too far ?

it seems with every reply so far everyone is very careful and have always cleaned their rented discs,probably more concerned about playback issues than germs (good boys)
pound to a penny they don't clean them when they send them back (obvious by the amount of fingerprints on a rented disc)

where it starts and ends is by highlighting something that the OP failed to address in encouraging new subscribers with good intent and not his fault
now that has been done everyone is free to make an informed choice

my choice is to freeze my account safe in the knowledge that I won't be inadvertently passing covid19 onto CP employees and customers when I return my discs

if that's going too far off the deep end so be it, to each their own

I'm just saying the line between rational and irrational narrows more and more in this current climate. Being mindful has obviously never been more important. Whilst I may think your actions regarding CP are a little over the top, I still respect your thought process.

I do think it can go too far btw, yes. My partner, for example, is driving herself crazy with 'overkill' at the moment over this exact kind of quandary. I think it affects those prone to anxiety to a larger degree probably...

Your approach to CP: How crazy would it be to apply a similar logic to your bin bags, for example? Should they be wiped down before the bin men come into contact? Should you not wipe down every surface you touch whilst out shopping? Etc etc.

Playing devil's advocate here I hasten to add. I'm just trying to illustrate that, to some, "being mindful" can be a slippery slope...

I'm just saying the line between rational and irrational narrows more and more in this current climate. Being mindful has obviously never been more important. Whilst I may think your actions regarding CP are a little over the top, I still respect your thought process.

I do think it can go too far btw, yes. My partner, for example, is driving herself crazy with 'overkill' at the moment over this exact kind of quandary. I think it affects those prone to anxiety to a larger degree probably...

Your approach to CP: How crazy would it be to apply a similar logic to your bin bags, for example? Should they be wiped down before the bin men come into contact? Should you not wipe down every surface you touch whilst out shopping? Etc etc.

Playing devil's advocate here I hasten to add. I'm just trying to illustrate that, to some, "being mindful" can be a slippery slope...
Glad to read that it isn't just my partner who is driving herself crazy
I would be happy if mine was just in cleaning mode
I would even be happy if she occupied her time and started cleaning the bin bags rather than convincing herself she has the virus and making herself ill which is no joke

anyway whatever works for you stay safe

Glad to read that it isn't just my partner who is driving herself crazy
I would be happy if mine was just in cleaning mode
I would even be happy if she occupied her time and started cleaning the bin bags rather than convincing herself she has the virus and making herself ill which is no joke

anyway whatever works for you stay safe

Ahh I hear you. Mine cant blow a kiss without chasing after it with a dettol wipe..

...& hey, likewise...all the best to you and yours...

I got a reply from CP today with ref to the precautions that they are taking to protect us and themselves.

Hi James,

Thank you for contacting Cinema Paradiso.

The discs we receive are processed using automated rental return machine and discs are cleaned with disinfectant. Our staff wear gloves when handling the discs.

Wherever your routines, precautions and thoughts are with this virus....stay safe and my best wishes go out to everyone and their families.

Is it enough? Is there ever enough? We are not invincible nor can we live in a bubble.

I got a reply from CP today with ref to the precautions that they are taking to protect us and themselves.

Hi James,

Thank you for contacting Cinema Paradiso.

The discs we receive are processed using automated rental return machine and discs are cleaned with disinfectant. Our staff wear gloves when handling the discs.

Wherever your routines, precautions and thoughts are with this virus....stay safe and my best wishes go out to everyone and their families.
Thanks for posting

stay safe

The reason I am posting about them is because I got an email from them yesterday saying that they are doubling the amount of rentals they will send out as people are stuck at home because of this virus.
This makes this service exceptional value for money

Jim
I revisited the OP and thought I would maybe try and clarify this
as I understand it Cinemaparadiso are not increasing the amount of rental discs
what they are doing is, for example, if you rent 4 a month which is normally 2 sent at out at one time
because of slow postal deliveries they will now sending out 4 at a time
so your subscription remains the same and this does not make any material change to the value for money

Extra rentals
You may have received more discs at once than your subscription level allows. This is because we wanted to compensate for Royal Mail slow delivery at the moment that was caused by coronavirus. If you are on a limited level, you will not receive more discs per month but only more discs at once. We will only send more discs when your regular rental is due to be sent.

I revisited the OP and thought I would maybe try and clarify this
as I understand it Cinemaparadiso are not increasing the amount of rental discs
what they are doing is, for example, if you rent 4 a month which is normally 2 sent at out at one time
because of slow postal deliveries they will now sending out 4 at a time
so your subscription remains the same and this does not make any material change to the value for money

Extra rentals
You may have received more discs at once than your subscription level allows. This is because we wanted to compensate for Royal Mail slow delivery at the moment that was caused by coronavirus. If you are on a limited level, you will not receive more discs per month but only more discs at once. We will only send more discs when your regular rental is due to be sent.
Ahh, I completely misread it. My sincerest apologies. At the same time, at least they are recognising the issues with RM and are acting on it.
It has still burst my bubble thou 😁

Ahh, I completely misread it. My sincerest apologies. At the same time, at least they are recognising the issues with RM and are acting on it.
It has still burst my bubble thou 😁
No problem
I never received a email and only realised when I logged into my account which I wouldn't have done if you hadn't posted about it ,and even then like you I initially misread it :smashin:
that said I still think they provide an excellent service
stay safe
regards
Andy

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom