1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cinema vs home cinema

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by jelly, Oct 3, 2003.

1. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    when i went to see the matrix re-loaded at the cinema i thought it was a fairly average flick with average sound.Just watched the matrix re-loaded at home on my h-c and it has to be one of the best films i have ever seen so why dont cinema films seem as good

2. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    I've had this problem recently and have stopped going to the cinema altogether.

I remember going to see Jurrasic Park III in the cinema and thought it was a bit poo. Watched it again when I got the DVD and enjoyed it.

Same with Matrix Reloaded. Thought it was a bit cack in the cinema, watched it a day or too later (I had a 'copy' to tide me over until the DVD came out) and enjoyed it a bit more.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Cinemas vary in quality.
    A good one will outclass a home cinema certainly in picture quality. Audio I invariably find sounds better at home on a decent system as if its set-up well you are invariabley sitting in the sweet spot. Something not reliable in an auditorium.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Cinemas as a commercial operation will in my opinion always pale when compared to a home Projection system with hi end sound! The limiting factor will always be the readily availble Hi-Def sources but as more people are finding out with D-theatre tapes Quality can blow anything other than Imax away!!! On my most recent trip to the cinema to see Pirates of the Carribean i noticed that the film,(physical celluliod) particulary the trailers reel was in very bad condition and even the movie reel had a lot of crap on it from the frequent runs through the PJ. I was very disappionted but i cant afford a high end system yet so looks like I will have to put up with it!

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    When I recently saw Pirates at my local multi-plex we had the added 'bonus' of being able to hear the subwoofer sound from T3 showing next door....VERY ANNOYING!

6. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also i find that i get well racked off very quickly in cinemas with people thinking it`s a dam cafe..all you hear is popcorn being ruffled sweet packets opening and drinks being slurped...and as for the most annoying thing people talking..god the amount of times i`ve turned round and told people to shut up...well rant over.. just hope none of you ever sit in cinema near me.. :D

7. prevailrob

prevailrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Added advantage over cinema is the abilty to pause and go take a ****/tea/biscuits/etc :D

A definate must with 180 minuters like LOTR.

Rob

8. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,858
    I have also stopped going to the cinema. I will watch Matrix Revolutions and Return of the King, but that is all for the rest of this year. I have only seen T3 and Matrix Reloaded this year.

The sound always seem to be too low when explosions happen on screen. I have wondered if a sub is on at the time. I rather watch a DVD where I can choose the volume i want to listen at.

The most annoying thing is the number of kids that play up. They pay so much money when they are in groups, and just use as a excuse to do anything but watch the film.

The really annoying thing was a guy with one of those phones with a big illuminated blue screen and flashing light when it rings that could be seen all the way across the cinema in the dark.

I like my film and want to watch all of it including the credits (I am the only one left all the time). It seems to be the increased number of 12A films could be the cause.

9. stretcher

stretcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Couldn't agree more with all that's been said. Kids bumping your seat and the parents glare at you at you when you complain (politely!!), the mobile phone twiddlers particularly annoy me, because their damn screens are always in the line of sight.

And yes, I was completely underwhelmed by the clarity of sound in a fairly new and very well equipped local multiplex - mind you, I had been dragged to Spy Kids 3 - maybe that says it all!!::laugh:

10. mackemansj1

mackemansj1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean i havent been to the cinema since the lion king all them years ago. As i cant stand the noise people getting up and down sitting on the end of a row is not fun getting up and down.

I aint got a home cinema as such just a 42 in tv and a half decent dvd and sound set up. But id rather sit at home where i can control my surroundings then stuck in a cinema with a bunch of kids spoiling any enjoyment of the film.

11. Beccy Miles

Beccy Miles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The last film I went to see at the cinema was Gangs Of New York. I thought it was a brilliant film and of course Leonardo was yummy :D

I have bought it on DVD and because you have to change the disc half way through i have only watched it once and then i was underwhelmed by it.

Yes, the cinema can have some irritating additional noises at times but at least it has a bit of atmosphere and it feels like a 'night out' rather than just vegging on the sofa 'Bridget Jones' style :)

12. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Well tonight I'm off to see Finding Nemo at the Odeon Leicester Square. No families/kids/noisy ****ers as it's too expensive. 1 ticket costs more than the dvd I have on order. And it's dlp with thx and possibly sdds. That's 10 digits I don't get at home.

13. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I also prefer home cinema (and I need to justify spending all the money I have on my setup!)
    I couldnt wait to see TTT and found that LOUD STEREO cannot compete with home cinema DTS-ES
    I also found that watching TTT on the big screen you missed thing that were going on on one side of the screen while you were watching the other side (!) Watching TTT on a 32" w/s was a much better experience - mind you it'd be even better on a 42" plasma !!!! Paul ;)

14. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    You havn't seen it unless you've seen it in the BFI Imax at Waterloo, London :)

15. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,348
    Another thing that annoys me about going to the cinema, which happened to me the first time last week when I saw the Italian Job 2003, was at various points during the film a red dot would appear and flash around the screen for a couple of seconds.

Obviously some ******** with a laser pen. Why bother paying the high ticket price to watch a film when all you are going to do is **** about and talk through the film.

I really wish cinemas would start employing decent people who keep any eye on things and chuck out anybody misbehaving.
    But obviously they are more interested in getting the most money out of everyone regardless of how it effects peoples enjoyment of the film.

Greg

16. NoelStar

NoelStar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with all of you

Bring on the Home Theatre:clap: :hiya:

17. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the red dot is a security watermark..........if the print is pirated they can find were it came from.

18. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,348
    No, in my case the red dot was definitely from a laser pen. It was flashing all over the screen and you could tell it was external to the print.

Greg

19. gofe

gofe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some films must be seen on a cinema screen.
    I can't imagine Pirates of Caribbeans to be as amazing on my 32" Philips as it is on a 55 feet wide screen with SDDS soudtrack.

Gofe.

20. Chibouk

Chibouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If it's any consolation, going to the cinema is the same the world over.

When I was in the States recently I saw a couple of films and people chatted right through them. It appeared to be the norm, rather than the exception.

I still go to the cinema fairly regularly and I have one of those season tickets for UCI cinemas. If it wasn't for the other people in the cinema I think cinema would beat home cinema hands down. However, because of the type of people I seem to encounter at the cinema, at the moment I prefer to watch films at home on a decent system.

21. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    But on an 8 foot screen with 6.1DTS on a THX system it would be bloody good!

22. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Big, but blurry. The fact is that 35mm film has resolution similar to 4000x4000 (ok in a typical cinema the projectionist probably won't have it in focus, and the print will be covered in dirt and scratches) but dvd has a lot lower resolution.

Don't get me wrong, I love home theater but no matter what I do I can't match the local(ish) THX calibrated cinema for picture detail, let alone the Imax!

I'm torn as to what I prefer TBH - but the fact is that the cinema only plays new films, doesn't always play the films that I want, and I don't get to hold the remote control :)

23. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    and

As well as the cinema verses home argument I think another factor is the way you can enjoy a film more on a second viewing.

It's similar to the way you can listen to an album and not be very impressed, but then it grows on you with repeat listenings.

Sometimes I'll be looking forward to a film, but when I've seen it at the cinema and it doesn't live up to what I was expecting I'll feel a bit dissapointed. But later when it's released on DVD and I'll watch it again - this time I know what to expect and I don't have any false expectations to be shattered - I'll actually enjoy the film more second time around.

Anyone else experienced this ?

24. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    I take it you've not seen DVD on a nice projector and big screen then? There is a surprising amount of detail on 'normal' DVD, which can be blown up to a very large size before it gets 'big and blurry'.

The variable nature of the picture at the local cinema can mean it often looks better at home. (poor focus, dirty print etc)

25. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I go to the cinema much less frequently than a few years ago when I had no Home Cinema setup. I went to watch Underworld a couple of weeks ago - what a farce! For about the first 20 minutes the sound kept dropping out, which was very noticeable and annoying.

We also had the "blue screen mobile" going off and some guy talking for about 2 minutes..."yeah, I'm watching a film, nah it's only just started" :mad: A violent man I am not, but this guy was close....

Finally, with about 15 minutes to go, a bizarre group of 6 or 7 foreign speaking individuals came bursting in (after The Italian Job had finished on the screen next door) sat down about 20 feet behind and chattered incessantly until the film finished :eek: :confused: :suicide:

This is the reason I only go to the cinema about 10 times a year. All my other viewing is done at home on my 36" TV.

26. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    I borrowed a projector and set it up in my house at the weekend and watched fight club on it and I have to say I enjoyed it much more than I did at the cinema. The most anoying thing I have ever experienced at the cinema was when watching pirates of the carabean and a couple came in and sat next to me. The guy was british and the girl was foreign, anyway every scene of the film the guy would explain what was happening to the girl. The cinema was so busy that there was nowhere else to sit. I left and asked that either they be removed or I be given my money back. I got neither of these and I still havent seen the second half of the film. Three other couples that were siting near us also left the cinema.

27. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No matter what people say the cinema will in most cases beat the home cinema.
    I have heard some excellent and some very expensive equipment, i think my system is pretty creditable IMO anyway, but the sound quality you get in a cinema is a lot better, particularly voices, no matter how expensive the centre channel voices are more effective and 'in ya face' in the cinema. Until we have the opportunity to upgrade dvd and the way we watch films at home we will always be limited to what sound we can get, as they say the info displayed in a cinema is something like 250 dvds, hopefully blu ray, the new sony disc capable of holding a lot more info, can be used to hopefully be able to give us much superior sq and maybe pq.
    Regards
    Fred

28. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I have only seen a demo of the Sim2 projector (The £9k one that people always rave about) connected to the Arcam DV88 (raves again). They were correctly set up, but on an 8 foot screen - big, blurry and headache inducing. Dvd, IMHO, tops out somewhere between 5' and 8'

29. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it makes you feel better (or worse), I've found cinema goers much more polite in the UK than in Canada and the US. Course, you still run into the occasional idiot who can ruin the film for everyone.

I'll be seeing RotK in the cinema, and probably nothing else for the forseeable future. The comfort of watching at home more than makes up for the difference in quality.

30. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it still the case that the UK gets the second-hand reels from the States, so they're already part-worn when we get to see them?

I know this used to be the reason for staggered releases of films: we wouldn't get the reels until the US had finished with them.

That's a good enough reason to stick to DVD: customers in this country are regularly treated with contempt.