1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cinema Speakers: Wall Mounts vs. Stands?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by asokas, Apr 13, 2002.

1. asokas

asokas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have a projector and an Energy Take 5 set of home cinema speakers.

Is it generally considered better to use speaker stands rather than mounting the satellite speakers directly onto the walls?

Either way, because of the large viewing surface from the projector, how far from the corners of the room should the front or back speakers be? I presume they should not be mounted or placed right at the corners?

I understand that the height of the satellites should be at ear level. Is this true for the back as well as the front satellite speakers, or can the latter be higher?

Regards,

AKS

2. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello agian.

The following is my personal opinion, and is by no means the only way of positioning speakers.

Re: Front speaker placement.

If you sit in your listening position (in the central position) and look directly forward, draw an imaginary line straight forward (in the dead centre of your screen). This is 0 degrees. then look left 22.5 degrees, thats where your left front speaker should be placed. Then look right 22.5 degrees and thats where your right front speaker should be placed. Giving a total measurement of 45 degrees between the left and right speakers.
    The centre speaker is then positioned at the 0 degrees point which should be dead centre of your screen.
    The rears are best positioned at about 110 degrees from the centre speaker/ 0 degree point, which should be just behind you.

Some people prefer 30 degrees between the 0 deg point and the L/R speakers but 22.5 deg's is more "Cinematic" than 30 deg's which is more suited to music listening.

The best way of accurately locating the correct places for the speakers is to draw them out in a scale drawing using a protractor, and then measuring them out in your room.

Re: Speaker height.

The tweeters of the front speakers should be at all the same height, with the tweeters at about ear level when you are seated. The rears however should be positioned much higher (how much higher really depends on your room) the minimum should be at least a couple of feet higher than the fronts.

I must point out that everything that I have mentioned above is a "perfect scenario" in a "perfect room" but most people do not have this luxury so some comprimises may have to be made.

Re: Stands or Wall mounts.

I prefer wall mounts to stands, as it saves me floor space. I'm sure there are arguments for both types which I will leave for others to answer.

I hope this is of some help.

Regards.

3. asokas

asokas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I thank you for this very informative reply, which tells me exactly what I need to know. Happily, I am designing the room primarily for Home Cinema use, and hence can implement pretty well all of your suggestions.

Regards,

AKS