cinema setup - £1200 budget

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by deltuna, May 3, 2007.

1. deltuna

deltuna
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there, I work at a residential school and we are looking to set up a cinema room with a budget of approx £1200. we nee the full set up, screen, projector, sound sytem. any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. cheers :thumbsup:

2. norealplan

norealplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +733
    I'd have a look at the Optoma HD70.

It will do 720p Hi-Def (will this be required by you?)

It's here for £715 http://www.avprojectorlamps.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=62&Itemid=90

Which then leaves you £500 or so for screen, wires and surround sound. Depending on what surround you go for, if you just get an all in one, no bells and whistles, then you will easily get one for a few hundred.

I also guess you should be able to get VAT off? So that should give you more money to play about with.

3. deltuna

deltuna
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi craigy, thanks for the reply.

doesn't necessarily need to be HD coz i imagine a lot of additional expense for dvd's and player in the future but i suppose it is maybe worth having it in case. Basically we are after turning a 15ft by 15ft room into a cinema room and the boys watching aren't huge tech experts so wont be too bothered about details apart from a decent big screen and surround sound so if i can get this any cheaper then even better so we can spend more on dvd's.
    cheers again for your help.

4. norealplan

norealplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +733
  5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I would suggest you g for an LCD PJ rather than DLP (rainbow issues) pick some like an Epson (you may well be able source through IT departments contacts at referential price) other wise need someone to agree to write cheques etc RIchersounds are good place to contact as they have dept that deals with schools LEAs etc http://www.richersounds.com/static/education.html

They should also be able to provide advice on kit but check it here first as security is always an issue with these installs dont forget to budget for a solid secure mount and lock box for electronics a smooth painted wall with a black border for a screen is ideal and much cheaper.

6. AV Nik

AV Nik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Although you could setup a small Cinema system with £1200, it's not an ideal budget but can be done.
    There are also special prices available for Schools on projectors which would help.
    The Optoma Themescene HD70 is an excellent projector for the price but there's a few alternatives available which would do just as good a job, some which you could use within other area's of the school.
    Ceiling speakers would be less likely to go missing on the summer breaks but there's plenty of other speakers which you could bolt down.

Will you have the lighting controlled in this room deltuna?
    If you cannot control the lighting, you will struggle to see a cheap projector on a bright sunny day.

Do you want it installed or would you handle this yourself?

7. benbo

benbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. AV Nik

AV Nik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
  9. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,632
    My thoughts exactly having read a few other of benbo's posts.

10. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,632
    After further investigation I've reinstated benbo's post as there is no proof of him working for and promoting a certain company :)

11. mrxfilms

mrxfilms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Hi there,

Seems to be a high concentration on projector here. My suggestions are as follows :

Projector - Sanyo Z5 available for £685 from www.ivojo.co.uk - Great machine stunning price

DVD Player - Toshiba SD-370 available for £59.95 from www.superfi.co.uk - Cracking budget player - HDMI - to suit PJ. This is multi region and price is delivered.

Sound System - Yamaha AV 61 System available from www.HiFiBitz.co.uk for £299.99. Comes with receiver with lots of inputs, all sound decodings covered, full set of speakers and sub.

Screen - Try www.drhscreens.co.uk, they do a big range of screens for silly cheep money. Big screens for well under £200.

You'll need cabling etc which the retailers will help with, Superfi do a budget HDMI from Logic3, and they'll all do a digital audio cable. For speaker cable, looking at your room size, you'll need 50-60 mtrs. Richer Sounds do some decent Gale stuff for 0.99 per metre.

There, that should do you, £1,200 gone, but a very good, flexible system so other bits can be aded as and when, SKY, gaming HD etc etc.

Happy Shopping

Note : I have had dealings with all the above and can recommend. You may of course be able to find better deals, but for the money you won't get better gear.:hiya:

12. mrxfilms

mrxfilms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Just as an alternative I've noticed www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk are offering the Hitachi PJTX300 for £775 including a free screen. Same standard projector, great bargain.

13. Moi

Moi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd recommend saving the money for the screen and simply use a painted wall.

And instead of buying the DVDs, rent them with a lovefilm or screenselect subscription....

The choice of PJ depends on the light in the room. I'd recommend LCD over DLP for a mixed audience since DLP can give some people headaches.... But if there's no light-control then you'd need something bright like the AX100 (don't know the current price, guess at around £850incl VAT)

Hope this helps! And Good Luck! :thumbsup:

P.S. and also make sure that anybody using the PJ knows to turn it off properly and not to simply unplug it, or you'll end up spending £200 on bulbs every few months!

14. AV Nik

AV Nik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Still waiting for an answer Benbo.

15. benbo

benbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I've had several things from them and think they do good deals

Sorry to cause so much controversy! :eek:

I use the NEC 1100 myself - great picture, but not HD.

cheers

Benbo

16. MQUIN SKYWALKER

MQUIN SKYWALKER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    IVE GOT a hitatchi pj lc9 came with free screen £299 for the lot brandnew and the pic is superb from ebay

17. deltuna

deltuna
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys, sorry for the lack of response but getting funds out of our headteacher is like getting blood from a stone.
    We are now in a position to create a cinema room. I have a £1200 budget but this is for everything! I will have to buy black-out blinds * 5 (ikea, £15 each), surround sound, projector and screen ( or do i paint the wall white?). I will also need to get dvd's but tempted to get a media player and put a load on from home. Just bought myself a Neo Keopps but had a few probs so if anyone can recommend a good media player that would be great. was hoping to get a little popcorn machine aswell but gonna struggle for the budget I think..

Thanks for all the previous posts and i am looking into it myself but I was wondering if there are any better deals out at the moment.

Cheers:thumbsup:

18. Jonstone

Jonstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +546
    I would hate to put a dampener on things here but does anyone know what the legal implications are for a setup like this?

I would certainly recommend not using a media player loaded with your own dvd rips as this could definitely get you and the school in a lot of trouble.

I am pretty sure that there would be some kind of licensing aspect involved with having a dedicated cinema setup in a school along with copyright issues.

Somebody more knowledgeable than I am on these issues could hopefully give better advice but it seems a little dodgey to me

19. deltuna

deltuna
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    oops!! please ignore those comments as I am a law obiding citizen and wouldn't dream of breaching any copyright laws!! Please advise on the rest of the equipment and we will simplt have to extend our dvd collection :D

20. Jonstone

Jonstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +546
    :)

I am not saying you ever would get into trouble, probably you wouldn't, but as it is your headteacher that will get the flak (and probably the sack) if the school does get prosecuted then I think it would be wise to check up on what is actually required in this situation. Its all well and good overlooking regulations if it is you personally that would be prosecuted if it went wrong but not if it is someone else who would be in trouble.

I would have thought that regularly playing copyrighted dvd's to an audience in a public place would require some kind of subscription/royalty to someone similar to the PPL and PRS licences required for copyrighted cd's/audio recordings.

It could well be possible that educational establishments are exempt, or that you already have a licence for it but it would definitely be a good idea to check before making any expensive purchases

21. deltuna

deltuna
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi johnstone, thanks for the concern. If the Head gives the OK then it's down to him so at least my job's safe :D

We currently watch Dvd's on the evenings in the units with boys now and have been for years. I cant see there being any difference apart from there being a room dedicated to watching the films as appose to the lounge on units. It will be the same number of pupil's so I presume we are exempt or pass whatever laws are required for the boys to watch films now.
    bearing this in mind I will still look into this.

Any suggestions on the hardware?

22. Tim Murphy

Tim Murphy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You definately need a licence to screen DVDs to a school audience, or any 'non domestic' audience, take a look at www.filmbank.co.uk they represent most UK distributors and can issue a PVS (Public Video screening) licence.

From their site -

"Organisations and groups such as, but not limited to, schools, student unions, churches, campsites, shops, libraries, gyms, etc., often wish to screen films for entertainment or background purposes. The PVS Licence makes it easy for organisations to apply for and obtain the required licences from Filmbank Distributors Ltd (“Filmbank”)."

Looks fairly straightforward to get yourself properly licenced though.

23. deltuna

deltuna
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the advice and I will certainly will look into this although i'm sure we will already have one.

I appreciate everyones advice on this but please could someone give some options as to how to spend our money. Once again we have approx 1200.
    The room is 11ft by 23ft. I am wanting a projector on the ceiling, a screen and surround sound system.

cheers guys

24. mrxfilms

mrxfilms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Crikey didn't realise the federation against copyright theft spent so long on here. I'll have another look for you today for some bargains as I'm off sick and bored. Will advise later. You should be able to pick up some cheap job lots of DVD's, they go for nothing nowadays. Anyway, will have a look round and advise.

Cheers

Pete B

25. wywywywy

wywywywy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    How come you can have a cinema room in a school nowadays???

26. deltuna

deltuna
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Pete, I know what you mean. All I want is some equipment so I can get paid for watching films every night. Any help is much appreciated.
    :smashin:

It's a residential school that caters for boys between 10 and 16 that have emotional and learning difficulties. Wer try and provide activities for them on the evening and rather than pay cinema prices every time i've convinced them to cough up so I can create a Media Room. I will then be able to watch dvd's and play xbox360 most nights whilst getting paid!! Ain't life a Bitch!

(I wish! trust me its not always like that!)

cheers

27. wywywywy

wywywywy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Sounds nice!
    Out of interest, what other activities do the boys do?
    Football etc I guess?

28. deltuna

deltuna
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Are you after a job ?? only joking.

We do all sorts mate, basically if you can think of an activity that will interest them then we do it. Not all roses though can be tough at times.
    Any recommendations on the set-up ?

29. Toonaroond

Toonaroond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If you get a DVD recorder trhat has a Digital tuner you can also watch TV as well as DVDs and/or programmes that have been recorded already.

Screen-wise I would paint the wall - not white though by all accounts although I'm no expert. Apparently a greyish off-white is best (Dulux Ice storm grey rings a bell but better off asking seperately in screens section for advice as I may be getting mixed up here)

On the PJ front I's save money and go with SD, most will play HD sources anyway (only downscaled to SD) and from what you say the kids won't be that bothered about getting the very best quality.

I'd spend the money you save on PJ and screen on movie posters, that popcorn machine you were on about, bean bags for seating just things that make it more of an experience for the kids....plus the security kit that's mentioned elsewhere...

Also have a look atr this thread for that personalised touch - I'm sure Mr Splatz will help you out http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423651&highlight=mike+home+cinema

30. deltuna

deltuna
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cheers toonaround , sound advice. I totally agree and would like to make it an attractive and exciting room. I'm after a decent picture and surround sound sound with possibility of hooking up a 360.
    we have an account with dabs so any ideas ???

cheers