Cinema room

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jkirk, May 8, 2007.

1. jkirk

jkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Right, firstly, apologies for the post - its another "what do you recommend" post.

Anyway, eldest is leaving home so its time to put the room to some use - man stuff - cinema room. I fancy a large screen, HD projector and suitable DVD/Amp/ceiling speakers etc. Well, I reckon i`ve earnt it !!

So, Im gonna have about 2 - 3 grand to spend so what would folk recommend. Obviously I dont want to spend it all but whatever, I want to do it once and do it right.

The room is 4m x 4m and I may build my own screen just for fun.

So folks - please give me any pointers, recommendations or links where I can get up to speed with whats what

many thanks

2. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    The first and most important question before endeavouring to create a cinema room is......... are you married/do you have a partner.
    I had a great gaming/cinema room when I was a bachelor , big hifi quality mission speakers all round the room, massive sub and, most offensive to the female of the species, cable trailing everywhere. Now I'm married all that stuff is in the loft and I have been forced to by a small sub/satellite Kef speaker system that, though good, certainly does not pack the punch that my bachelor system did. ALL cable has to be neatly hidden under carpets or behind skirting boards.
    Any way,if you are single or have a wife that doesn't mind cable I have the best part of a bulky home cinema in the loft gathering dust which you can have for a reasonable price , send me a private message if you are interested.

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    jkirk, well done on taking the plunge. If you and your family enjoy movies enough to dedicate a room to it then a private cinema is a real treat :)

Do think seriously about secondhand gear; particularly amps and speakers. It will help you stretch your £2000-£3000 budget and boost performance.

(BISHI, forum rules are pretty strict. All potential For Sale items need to be posted in the Trading forum. No private sales are allowed here :smashin: )

There are also a couple of other things you can do to boost performance well beyond the price of the gear. The most important thing is projector calibration.

It might seem like a bit of an indulgence, particularly when you have nothing in your hand after paying over your money, but calibration can make a huge difference to the performance of a projector.

My experience of calibration is seeing a calibrated £800 DLP knock spots off the uncalibrated £1500 model :eek: . Since calibration cost around £350 it was a good upgrade compared to spending the extra £700 on the better model :smashin:

There are a few people with good skills in the country now. The best known would be...
    Gordon @ convertent av
    Piers @ HCE
    There's also a guy up in Edinburgh whose name escapes me at the mo.

The other thing you can do is invest in a couple of decent test discs. Digital Video Essentials is cheap at £15 and it will help you understand your system as well as set it up for best performance.

Regards

4. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Oops........... sorry, that could be the second time i've got into trouble in as many days. Maybe I need to read the rules again. :oops:

5. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Ok, found trading forum, read rules and put a description there. Cheers for the pointer !

6. Seadog-Peter

Seadog-Peter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Good luck with the conversion luckily my wife likes the big screen experience so our loft conversion is a Cinema room 1st and a living room second (but that did mean we could hide the cables). As I had a AV processor our big decision was DLP projector Vs LCD. I had a look round 3/4 dealers to review the pro's and cons (Its quite difficult to get back to back comparisons althought there are some who do have this facility). In the end Liam at Progressive loaned me a SIM30 DLP:smashin: for a good long home demo and as none of the family suffered from the rainbow effect we went for that technology for the better blacks DLP produced.

7. jkirk

jkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the replies folks - much appreciated.

Now Im in a lucky position, kids grown up and left/leaving home and I have a couple of spare rooms - one of which is ground floor and a nice size (4m x 4m) and is away from the main living areas - ideal !!

Also, the boss has agreed to this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, time for some pure boyz toyz self indulgence.

So - where to start ??. First off is I have to get my head around the LCD and DLP debate. As I understand it DLP is better/more expensive but some users see the rainbows.

Im going to be using it for films, sport and MY TV stations - no more Emmerdale/Corrie/Dr Phil crap !! Am I right in assuming that TV can be fed thru a projector and that HD is available (future proofing)?

So first question to you experienced folk - what would you recommend as a "middle of the range" projector. Nowt cheap and nasty but nowt extravagent either !!

Thanks again

8. kdog

kdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    :hiya:

Going with your budget I would recommend the Hitachi PJ-TX300. Do a quick search you'll find it for around the £800 mark.

You've probably read about the dreaded chicken wire effect, as you'll be sitting around 4m away I don't see this as a major issue, all depends on your screen size of course?

9. kdog

kdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    For the rest of the system I would recommend getting a demo, especially the speakers!!

If it were me I would split my budget down like this:

£800 - PJ
    £800/£1000 - Speakers
    £300 - DVD Player
    £400 - Amp/Receiver
    I don't know how much a screen would be to manufacture yourself?

Try to leave about 10% - 15% for cables and connections.

Good Luck, it's all worth it in the end :thumbsup:

10. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Ha ha ha :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I'd say sensible top of the range is £40K, which means "middle of the range" is somewhere slightly above your £2K- £3K all-in budget, but you did make me larfff. Thanks for that :D

Yes, TV can be routed through the projector. That's pretty easy to do. You just need a freeview box or a second connection from a Sky box.

Projector-wise I'd be looking at new models in the £800 - £1500 price range. There are package deals available from some retailers that are worth checking out. That will leave you about a grand for electronics and speakers, plus another £500 for incidentals like a rack, speaker stands, pj bracket, interconnects etc.

Start searching the s/h forum to get a feel for prices.

Good luck

11. jkirk

jkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I reckon once the kit is installed I will be about 3-3.5m from the screen. I assume this will effect the size of screen I can get ?

So, concensus seems to be that DLP is the way to go - Im gonna have to go to a supplier and see some in action !!

12. kdog

kdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
  13. jkirk

jkirk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4