Cinema Room

rpanchal

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice, converting my attached garage into a office / cinema room, due to me still leaving the insulated power roller door i've got a few questions about speaker placment...

Projector is mounted on ceiling and i;ve got a electric drop down screen, in terms of speakers, can put the front speakers on wall and angle them down and same with the rears? also the centre could I mount this on ceiling and angle down? woofer is easily placed.

Here is my wiring:

HDMI from projector into AV reciever, firestick in HDMI input on AV reciever

Its simialr setup to my living room replacing TV with projector.

TIA :)

Looking for a bit of advice, converting my attached garage into a office / cinema room, due to me still leaving the insulated power roller door i've got a few questions about speaker placment...

Projector is mounted on ceiling and i;ve got a electric drop down screen, in terms of speakers, can put the front speakers on wall and angle them down and same with the rears? also the centre could I mount this on ceiling and angle down? woofer is easily placed.
So you're thinking of having your speakers above the roller door. Could you not have that as the back wall, and then you can have your speakers more ideally placed on the opposite wall (rear speakers in a 5.1 over the roller door would be ok)

Alternatively, if you're making it an office/cinema, I assume you won't be opening the roller door, so is there anything stopping you putting a false wall against it?

Have you got some measurements/drawings you could share?

Thanks for the reply...

I've attached two pics either side of the garage, the roller doors still going to be opened on the odd occasion, above the garage roller door box I was going to box in and mount the drop down screen on there,

Front speakers I guess I could mount on the wall at ear height, however there isnt room for sofa's etc.. so I was going to get hose huge bean bags when we do watch a film, its more of a problem with the centre speaker... I guess i could leave lots of slack on the cable and when we do watch a film put the speaker in front, not ideal but I guess it would work??

The backside of the garage has the door and my desk etc.. is going to be there, so probs not best placment for the screen.

Attachments

• IMG_0198.jpg
    IMG_0198.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0199.jpg
    IMG_0199.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 39
the roller doors still going to be opened on the odd occasion

So is it office, cinema, and bike storage etc?

Yeah it's difficult if you're going to have to open it. I'm not sure what the best compromise is regarding the front speakers.

lol excuse the bikes they will be going out once i've sorted storage for them, I guess I could stud a small section in front of the door for a bit of storage and also that would solve the speaker issues, the front left and right could go on the wall tho right?

lol excuse the bikes they will be going out once i've sorted storage for them, I guess I could stud a small section in front of the door for a bit of storage and also that would solve the speaker issues, the front left and right could go on the wall tho right?
Yeah the front left and right could go to the side of the roller door, but the centre would be a pain.

If the bikes are going, I'd spend some time thinking whether you really need the roller door to open, whether you can store things elsewhere, and how good you want the cinema room to be (ie, if you're only watching a film once in a while, it may not be a big deal for you, but if you're watching regularly it may be a higher priority).

If the cinema part was a high priority, I'd put a false wall in front of the roller doors, and a fixed acoustically transparent screen there, over the front 3 speakers.

I mean the left and right bit closer towards were the silver tub thing is so its closer, i'll need to have a think about what I want to do, the stud and insulation isnt a massive job I suppose

I mean the left and right bit closer towards were the silver tub thing is so its closer
Sorry I'm not sure what you mean?

i'll need to have a think about what I want to do, the stud and insulation isnt a massive job I suppose
If you're handy, adding a stud wall to the front is pretty easy and affordable. And adding insulation will make it a lot quieter for anyone near the front of your house.

You could have black material (home made curtains) along the walls to make films look better, but also allow a lighter room when you're using it as an office.

If you haven't already, have a look at some of the other garage conversions on here. You don't have to go as far as others (time and budget), but it might help you work out what you want to achieve in the space.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom