Cinema Room with low ceiling

I think these ATCs all share a 3" midrange driver which is what gives a really outstanding midrange, so I was wondering how good the much smaller, 'cheaper' models with the same midrange would also sound as good in that respect. You can make clones of the smaller speakers using the same drivers from Wilmslow Audio as I recall. I'd like to hear some just to see. It's the 'crackle' you get from the Behringers that is reminiscent of the ATCs and one element of them that makes them seem such great value. I have a spare B215 in white that I may experiment with one day - redo the crossover for a lower crossover point, and even try the drivers in a cabinet with a constant directivity waveguide just to see what that gives, but I need to be in the mood for that as it can be quite a time consuming project, albeit a lot of fun and rewarding.
Googling the midrange driver starts in the 40 floor stander…but doesnt reappear till the big centre..price 100000£

Still a nightmare finding a builder to do the work, I just might be able to find one to prep the room before winter !

so plenty time to think … I also got my eye on a nice JVC N5 and looking at the longer throw distance I might need to make a very shallow baffle wall and use in wall speakers : Shame since the behringers looked pretty good.

potentially looking at this:

Klipsch 5.x.4 ATMOS Speaker Package​

Any recommended subwoofer options for those ?

Still a nightmare finding a builder to do the work, I just might be able to find one to prep the room before winter !

so plenty time to think … I also got my eye on a nice JVC N5 and looking at the longer throw distance I might need to make a very shallow baffle wall and use in wall speakers : Shame since the behringers looked pretty good.

potentially looking at this:

Klipsch 5.x.4 ATMOS Speaker Package​

Any recommended subwoofer options for those ?
I’d go second hand for the speakers with that budget. If you time it right I bet you will get 5000 quid worth of audio performance for the price you are paying which enters clear end game territory of never having to upgrade again. Will just take patience.

For example there is a pair of arendal monitors atm on the classifieds which will blow those our of the water.

You are getting quality projector, I’d get quality gear in even if takes a bit of time rather than the cheap package deals.. which aren’t cheap in price!

I’d go second hand for the speakers with that budget. If you time it right I bet you will get 5000 quid worth of audio performance for the price you are paying which enters clear end game territory of never having to upgrade again. Will just take patience.

For example there is a pair of arendal monitors atm on the classifieds which will blow those our of the water.

You are getting quality projector, I’d get quality gear in even if takes a bit of time rather than the cheap package deals.. which aren’t cheap in price!
Definitely.. There will be a long wait to get the building work done anyway, hunting round places defiantly bargains to be had, shame a lot of them are hundreds of miles away.

Still on tender hooks with the JVC (until its delivered for sure lol) My purchases always goes wrong somehow, jinxed!

While waiting for builders (be a while!) where I work I found out they throw out a lot of Styrofoam from workshop, so now collecting bits to build diffusion panels.. they also will have scrap wood :p
thumbnail_image 1.jpg

Looking at getting this lot (or I might be able to get 2 sb2000 non pros in classified ) but heard great things with these speakers .. plus very thin baffle wall which should allow me throw distance for my JVC N5 for 100 plus inch screen 👍

Attachments

• 46684C52-C31F-4324-B9DA-1A22EA69AE6F.png
    46684C52-C31F-4324-B9DA-1A22EA69AE6F.png
    401.3 KB · Views: 72
@fatrich lovely subwoofers, from playing with my current living room satellite jamo system, the bass with just one of these rocks even for that !

N5 has arrived, hilarious to scale photo, this beast is huge

doing firmware update and learning all the quirks of the projector .. picture is stunningly sharp even on a grey wall untreated living room…

have to find a way to work around the hdmi sync times though, start of movies is a bit hit and miss due to JVCs taking so long to sync …

Attachments

• 4A6B44E1-4DFA-4F5B-BF01-B01992B65DCB.jpeg
    4A6B44E1-4DFA-4F5B-BF01-B01992B65DCB.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 077CB224-37A5-4C73-B0E9-11AF856BFE78.jpeg
    077CB224-37A5-4C73-B0E9-11AF856BFE78.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 53
  • E15E15EF-DE58-47E0-8FF5-AB6046C7DFB8.jpeg
    E15E15EF-DE58-47E0-8FF5-AB6046C7DFB8.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 58
@fatrich lovely subwoofers, from playing with my current living room satellite jamo system, the bass with just one of these rocks even for that !

N5 has arrived, hilarious to scale photo, this beast is huge

doing firmware update and learning all the quirks of the projector .. picture is stunningly sharp even on a grey wall untreated living room…

have to find a way to work around the hdmi sync times though, start of movies is a bit hit and miss due to JVCs taking so long to sync …

Sound wise, there are a pair of gloss Arendals for sale at a decent price FYI.
and some KEF Rs!

Thanks for the heads up !

also, upgrading firmware from 3.1 to latest seems to massively improved the picture and HDMI sync times 👌

Looking at flock on wall (wife is letting me flock the whole room ceiling and wall yippee!) I got a roll of flock from Amazon to cover my AV cab in the living room and surprisingly blacker than my AB sample …

Attachments

• F82A0A1C-9A4A-498A-927B-E6D094EEB7EE.jpeg
    F82A0A1C-9A4A-498A-927B-E6D094EEB7EE.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 47
  • BF4AE6B9-9343-4115-9BDF-FC838D0D108D.png
    BF4AE6B9-9343-4115-9BDF-FC838D0D108D.png
    709.9 KB · Views: 59
My 6 foot Han Solo in carbonite got delivered too, questioning my moment of madness, it fits in my door alcove but that will be near my projector screen so reflection point for sound and contrast lol

Attachments

• 191B3A6A-FC0A-4E67-BC6F-1CDF0ED2E3B8.jpeg
    191B3A6A-FC0A-4E67-BC6F-1CDF0ED2E3B8.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 62
  • E246A007-B530-438A-9449-26481F9E8E9F.jpeg
    E246A007-B530-438A-9449-26481F9E8E9F.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 64
Pinching some ideas off AVS forums, I always liked my scope films presented in largest format (that’s most I watch) maybe thinking of a cheap 4 way manual masking for my screen, for Scope, 16:9 and IMAX .. like a Variable Image Area idea…

Ive only got room for 100 inch screen, so this is more an idea of making each format appear at its best for relevant aspect ratio at that size screen I will have :

IMAX will be presented for full 100 inch diagonal
Scope will be masked to approx 95 inch
16:9 will be masked to approx 88 inch

Attachments

• F00EA037-B814-480D-B4A0-EA251D29C470.png
    F00EA037-B814-480D-B4A0-EA251D29C470.png
    207 KB · Views: 71
Your ceiling is the same height as my concerted garage so you won’t have any issues with that. (Link in my signature if you want to see)

Unbelievably mine is coming up to 10 years old and I have decided to give the entire room and equipment a major overhaul at some point in the next 6-12 months so it will be good to address things that I didn’t necessarily do wrong at the time but with hindsight and better knowledge, I can now address. Hence I’m back in these forums and getting myself up to date.

It’s good to see you taking the time to plan and research and looks like it will be a great room once finished. 👍🏽

Your ceiling is the same height as my concerted garage so you won’t have any issues with that. (Link in my signature if you want to see)

Unbelievably mine is coming up to 10 years old and I have decided to give the entire room and equipment a major overhaul at some point in the next 6-12 months so it will be good to address things that I didn’t necessarily do wrong at the time but with hindsight and better knowledge, I can now address. Hence I’m back in these forums and getting myself up to date.

It’s good to see you taking the time to plan and research and looks like it will be a great room once finished. 👍🏽

hi Mr X

Thank You !

your room looks amazing as it is! Might there be a chance of renegotiations with Mrs X for a bigger wall? Ha ha!

I would recommend another JVC, I’m a fan after getting my N5.

I would be bookmarking your thread for updates…

Cheers pal. Researching equipment right now and other than that will finally remove the washroom at go very dark in the room now.

Only ever had JVC and still really happy with my 7900 but yeah the N range may be calling out to me!

Enjoying your thread so keep the updates coming!

While I wait for builders to sort my garage room out, the n5 is happily doing its thing in my lounge .. totally not treated on a grey wall, running off jamo 5.1, Yamaha rx v383 … if this is what it’s like in the lounge, I can’t wait for blacked out garage room with ATMOS 😍

Attachments

• 0CEDDBAD-7BC0-48AB-A245-50FD72EA7908.jpeg
    0CEDDBAD-7BC0-48AB-A245-50FD72EA7908.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 679D0180-5FC4-48FE-B0BD-93A910F8D318.jpeg
    679D0180-5FC4-48FE-B0BD-93A910F8D318.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 529DB4B3-8D36-408B-ABB2-3D1E8A1017C3.jpeg
    529DB4B3-8D36-408B-ABB2-3D1E8A1017C3.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 02D20A82-DB0F-4DC3-B9BE-26FE0D327756.jpeg
    02D20A82-DB0F-4DC3-B9BE-26FE0D327756.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 65E88803-A451-4AFE-A221-A73E166E14E5.jpeg
    65E88803-A451-4AFE-A221-A73E166E14E5.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 57
My 6 foot Han Solo in carbonite got delivered too, questioning my moment of madness, it fits in my door alcove but that will be near my projector screen so reflection point for sound and contrast lol
That is cool. Can i ask where you got from?

That is cool. Can i ask where you got from?
Cheers

I got it from an online antiques shop but wasnt too happy with them.. I have traced where it was manufactured though:

Email them they said they will sell direct, I got mine for £250 + £50 delivery.. just to give you an idea of ball park price.. it does come up a bit darker vs the actual movie prop, but a few cans of silver paint should finish that off nicely...

Hi all

I’m after a bit of advise on a home cinema room. I’ve had half my garage converted and got the missus to agree to having a projector in there. Unfortunately I couldn’t get my way with the colour scheme and so (aside from one dark wall) it’s all very light including a white ceiling 😫

I have fitted curtains where I can to help and have a black cloth on the floor to absorb the light. Can anyone advise if one wall is more important than the other for light bouncing around the room? The wall behind me is very light. Would this have more impact on the picture than the white ceiling or vice versa?

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• 37F0C35F-5A1A-4516-82E8-72C35BD5CAF1.jpeg
    37F0C35F-5A1A-4516-82E8-72C35BD5CAF1.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 46
Hi all

I’m after a bit of advise on a home cinema room. I’ve had half my garage converted and got the missus to agree to having a projector in there. Unfortunately I couldn’t get my way with the colour scheme and so (aside from one dark wall) it’s all very light including a white ceiling 😫

I have fitted curtains where I can to help and have a black cloth on the floor to absorb the light. Can anyone advise if one wall is more important than the other for light bouncing around the room? The wall behind me is very light. Would this have more impact on the picture than the white ceiling or vice versa?

Cheers
Mike
Hi Mike,

I think the ceiling will make the biggest impact, looks like you have sone curtains on your side wall already so that helps some

is there any way your partner be happy with just extending a bit of black flock or velvet for example, a few feet for the ceiling ?
there’s a curtain ceiling to wall idea that someone had that had velvet that draw out from screen like a tent that covers nearly half the room, let me try find it…

Hi Mike,

I think the ceiling will make the biggest impact, looks like you have sone curtains on your side wall already so that helps some

is there any way your partner be happy with just extending a bit of black flock or velvet for example, a few feet for the ceiling ?
there’s a curtain ceiling to wall idea that someone had that had velvet that draw out from screen like a tent that covers nearly half the room, let me try find it…
Hi wilwong1971

I like the idea of the curtain ceiling wall. I’d thought about that but didn’t know how to get it to work. Anything you can find would be great 👍🏻

The room was decorated the complete wrong colour for projection but trying to do the best I can.

Cheers
Mike

Hi wilwong1971

I like the idea of the curtain ceiling wall. I’d thought about that but didn’t know how to get it to work. Anything you can find would be great 👍🏻

The room was decorated the complete wrong colour for projection but trying to do the best I can.

Cheers
Mike
No worries, I do have the pictures stored on my PC somewhere (i'll check when I'm home), for the life of me can't find the link with the video... basically its two long curtain poles curtain covering both side walls and ceiling that can be pulled all at once to slide a black out tent over most of the room

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom